• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SCH-REMOTE Digital VU/Spectrum Meter Review

Rate this VU/Spectrum Meter

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 66 47.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 64 46.0%

• Total voters

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Within its accuracy range, you can use it to find spectrum of your music, whether a signal is present or not, measure output power, etc. I use my RME ADI Pro spectrum analyzer all the time for first two.

This makes me realize why the market for analog VU meters has evaporated. That is a lot of capability for the spend.

Agree about having something on a DAC or other audio interface. My MOTU M4 just has level meters, but they are great for knowing whether signal is present before I power up my amp or troubleshooting when nothing is coming out of the speaker(s).:cool:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I want is a screen-less version of this with HDMI output instead. You want big meters? I have a 90" TV in front of me. :cool:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
The only bad point is software for settings is only running on zindoz or Mac. No Linux version. Do not have zindoz or Mac and not sure I want a VM full of bloatwares, adds and telemetry.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only bad point is software for settings is only running on zindoz or Mac. No Linux version. Do not have zindoz or Mac and not sure I want a VM full of bloatwares, adds and telemetry.
736DF3DF-B2CE-4D14-A5DA-C161CC351370.jpeg

No comment

JDS

Agree, I'm initially impressed. A good video here from the product site showing the case, various modes and functionality;

I like that the company even provides an STL file for 3D printing ones own case as well as a detailed datasheet etc.

This video was interesting I thought where they install one of these in an old DCC player;

Thanks for bringing this to our attention @amirm! :)

JSmith
I was going to make a snarky comment to Amir's review about how VU meters are cool, but what's REALLY cool is the oscilloscope built into the top 1970s Marantz quadrophonic receivers... but it looks like you can emulate a 'scope with this thing, too.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to make a snarky comment to Amir's review about how VU meters are cool, but what's REALLY cool is the oscilloscope built into the top 1970s Marantz quadrophonic receivers... but it looks like you can emulate a 'scope with this thing, too.

Marantz had the oscilloscope in several tuners and Stereo receivers. It only for the quad receivers. These came later.

Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDS

Roland301

Can you make a measurement of the unit with a typical DAC output while actually feeding an amplifier too, rather than just the AP? It may be possible that the AP's front end could be particularly robust.

Did the other worse VUs introduce distortion to the AP loopback itself while placed in parallel, as this test is measuring?

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice. Also restraining myself from ordering NOW!
But not as nice as the old school CRT 'sound-a-vision:
Soundavision.png

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool, I bought one of these a year or so ago with the intent of putting it in one of my amp cases. Since I run active XOs and all my connections are balanced (3 amps for B,M,T + 2 subs) I just connect it to the headphone output of the computer or hub to give it full spectrum.

Haven't put it in a case yet, just pull it out on occasion to play with it.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Marantz had the oscilloscope in several tuners and Stereo receivers. It only for the quad receivers. These came later. Marantz had the oscilloscope in several tuners and Stereo receivers. It wasn’t only for the quad receivers. These came later.

Peace.

Kenwood had a standalone scope that matched their top-of-the-line amp and tuner back in the early 1970s.
maxresdefault.jpg

ErVikingo

Top Bottom