• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SCH-REMOTE Digital VU/Spectrum Meter Review

Rate this VU/Spectrum Meter

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 66 47.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 64 46.0%

• Total voters

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

JakeK

Forum Donor
Preach Amirm!

Slim Devices had this figured out 15 years ago, someone just buy the IP! Logitech es el stinkadoodoo for shelving them.

slimdevices_squeezebox_review.jpg
I still use my squeezeboxes. Despite the squeezebox having the vu meter and other visualisations I want this other gizmo to sit next to it as well. This is probably not rational!

Thanks to the software being somewhat open source you can still build your own squeezebox devices from a pi or other hardware BTW. The mysqueezebox.com etc. sites are still up and running. Logitech seem quite generous in allowing this and (I'm not sure who pays for it TBH) still supporting the online side. Not many manufacturers would keep this up 10-ish years after ceasing manufacture of the devices themselves.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are looking to do a spectrum analyzer inexpensively, there are several free or low cost Android/iOS apps.

Here is Sonic Tools on my iPad…

E58A24FA-1561-44E9-A83B-53B2F08911E2.png

This is very impressive for a free app. I have more than a few Android burner phones around that do this on a smaller display. If you prefer a really large display, cast it to your big screen tv!

Reactions: pjn

D700

I still use my squeezeboxes. Despite the squeezebox having the vu meter and other visualisations I want this other gizmo to sit next to it as well. This is probably not rational!

Thanks to the software being somewhat open source you can still build your own squeezebox devices from a pi or other hardware BTW. The mysqueezebox.com etc. sites are still up and running. Logitech seem quite generous in allowing this and (I'm not sure who pays for it TBH) still supporting the online side. Not many manufacturers would keep this up 10-ish years after ceasing manufacture of the devices themselves.
Yeah, I still have my SB3 and a Touch. I succumbed to convenience of Alexa and Apple Music but wish I could work my SB3 back in there. They’re like obsolete Droids I’ve grown fond of. You’d think one of these companies like Apple or Amazon would figure out some blinky things to look at from across the room…either on Echo Show or a phone display

m8o

Forum Donor
For the "fun visualization" this looks really cool. I'm tempted to get one, but my audio hobby budget was already spent trying out a 300B SET amp
Boy, those two things are on very different levels of the expense curve. Haha.

m8o

Forum Donor
First known product for this kind, no other alternative.
I wouldn't go that far. Go to eBay and search for "spectrum analyzer audio". However who knows if any of those other devices have the superior buffering amirm proved this one to have vs other monitoring devices he tested in the past. For that reason and the not-too-laggy capture to display latency shown in the video, I bought the third last one available on eBay (with the case and wired up wa 3.5mm input). Looking forward to it.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Repurposing an old Android phone, here is Spectrum Analyzer from the Google Play store…

058C84F8-A2E0-4B5F-8880-EA6DE956AB32.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As with knives...
202304_Knife.jpg

.. so with Audio Spectrum Analyzers:
202304_HP3580A.jpg

Used ones, on eBay, fetch around $500.

NoxMorbis

It's usually labeled "record out" -- and yes, you are! :cool:
Yes! "Record Out" lol. I remember plugging my cassette tape deck into my high school stereo so we could "tape" vinyl records and play them in our "cassette tape" car stereos. Seems like yesterday, yet so long ago. "My, my, hey, hey, it's better to burn out than fade away."

Laniciffo

And a wide-screen to revive the good ol' days of Sansui SE-88
I like that fun too and found an even larger display in the Kenwood ge 7030 graphic equalizer. It's a 14-band equalizer and spectrum analyzer but with a 28 band display. The analysis bands are too wide though.
2023-04-2311.08.343585729597357026231.jpg

And it's probably not as focused on sound quality.
One frustrating design choice is that it is impossible to differentiate left and right settings although the hardware obviously supports it very well (there are two cascaded 7-band ICs per channel, 4 altogether).
The same design and display were used in a few other devices : ke-7090 and ge-850 (midi 36 cm size) for example.

Laniciffo

Sorry for the dirt on my devices, feel quite ashamed.
I found on eBay two old vu-meters.
I do not know how to set them up though.
Would a simple voltage divider with a potentiometer work directly or do I need a special driver board to get the logarithmic response ?

NoxMorbis

I spotted a typo. "This is a two-bard sandwich" should be two board sandwich I think!
No. No. No! You did not. "Bard" refers to people working behind a bar or other eatery. It took two bards to make that sandwich. Amir was just stating that he had a sandwich so good it took TWO bards to make it -- and was thinking out loud while he ate his sandwich and did the review.*

*Some people just can't read between the lines.

JakeK

Forum Donor
No. No. No! You did not. "Bard" refers to people working behind a bar or other eatery. It took two bards to make that sandwich. Amir was just stating that he had a sandwich so good it took TWO bards to make it -- and was thinking out loud while he ate his sandwich and did the review.*

*Some people just can't read between the lines.
Makes sense now. At first it seemed to say he had a sandwich made of lute playing troubadours!

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Repurposing an old Android phone, here is Spectrum Analyzer from the Google Play store…
Can be done nicely with an iPhone as well, lots of apps out there. I made one like this a few years ago from an old iPhone 4, info in this thread:

index.php

ErVikingo

Forum Donor
Top Bottom