• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SCH-REMOTE Digital VU/Spectrum Meter Review

Rate this VU/Spectrum Meter

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 66 47.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 64 46.0%

• Total voters

MacCali

Major Contributor
still a bit mind boggled on how to set this up.. o.o

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
still a bit mind boggled on how to set this up.. o.o
If you have a DAC that has both RCA and XLR, you can convert the RCA to 3.5mm with an adapter to feed the VU meter. And use the XLR to drive your amplifier.

If you only have RCA output, then get a cable splitter to generate dual set of RCA and then convert one of them to 3.5mm adapter.

In the old days, we always had a "tape out" from the pre-amp which made it easy to do this. Today it is a bit harder if you only have a single output from your source/DAC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
At which rms level is the VU 0dB calibrated to?
I've always been disappointed by meters that don't have any real relationship to actual input levels. Especially when a sensitivity trim is provided (see Douk H7, for example).
There is no "calibration" per se since there is no analog stage here. The input signal is digitized and full scale value can be set to anything you want using the gain settings in the unit. Unless there are ADC errors, then all the levels are accurate below that. Everything is driven by software so you can have it show on any scale, etc.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
this could be useful for some things - monitor a level as well as troubleshooting, etc... I wonder if the software allows adj input level? - did I miss that in the review?... heck, @ $100 - hard to pass it up...

...Yeah I agree, I have the TC unit...
great tool when you need it... the orbital loudness radar (for me) is very useful... grabbed the multi-chan clarity M after it came down in price and wasn't nutty money...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
this could be useful for some things - monitor a level as well as troubleshooting, etc... I wonder if the software allows adj input level? - did I miss that in the review?... heck, @ $100 - hard to pass it up...

great tool when you need it... the orbital loudness radar (for me) is very useful... grabbed the multi-chan clarity M after it came down in price and wasn't nutty money...
Yes, you can set input sensitivity using the touchscreen menu.

NoxMorbis

If you have a DAC that has both RCA and XLR, you can convert the RCA to 3.5mm with an adapter to feed the VU meter. And use the XLR to drive your amplifier.

If you only have RCA output, then get a cable splitter to generate dual set of RCA and then convert one of them to 3.5mm adapter.

In the old days, we always had a "tape out" from the pre-amp which made it easy to do this. Today it is a bit harder if you only have a single output from your source/DAC.
"tape out." Fuck. Am I that old?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"tape out." [dude]. Am I that old?
202304_VUthru2.jpg

You could find something like the above for $200 offshore but the YELLOW rubber duckie does not come with it.
202304_VUthru.jpg

This one is way up market tagged @$350 and the PINK noise generator comes with it.
You can probably sell the rack-mount flanges on eBay for $25.;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
"tape out." Fuck. Am I that old?

Yep.

By the late 1980s, many 2nd and 3rd tape loops on preamps and integrateds were being called 'processor in/outs'. By the 1990s, you'd be lucky to get one actual tape loop with switchable monitoring and by the 2000s, the rec out/tape outs had almost disappeared with sometimes only a input.

Bidirectional tape dubbing, switchable rec out selectors and individual tape monitoring are just gone- ancient history. A pity, because who hasn't recorded an LP to two tape decks at the same time whilst listening to a tuner and periodically checking the monitor of each 3 head deck? Or routing the EQ to one tape deck, and listening to another flat. Ahh, the good old days.

:)

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, prepare to have your credit card and identity stolen. LOL.

Actually, that's not fair.

I ordered one over a year ago and shipping from Bulgaria to the US was pretty quick and relatively inexpensive. Can't remember if I used PayPal or CC to pay but I had order confirmation and shipping notifications.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Back then I bought a few old receivers and even spent the extra dimes to restore them just to see the VU Meter in a big, fancy metal box. When I listen to music at late night with all the lights turned off and just look at the VU Meter moving along with the music.... It's such a comfortable effect.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Top Bottom