• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 85.2%

• Total voters

BHazard

Nice. Thanks for the comparison. I assume it has the exact same functions and system? It still has the adjustable dpll?
Everything looks pretty much the same with a few more filter options. HP Amp still not balanced, but I don't use it.
If you already have the 2022, there isn't an overwhelming reason to upgrade unless you prefer AKM DACs.

staticV3

Master Contributor
After some reading, Is the 4.4mm output balanced or not?
Take a look at the specs:
S59842383813d476fbaca1807bddd18262.jpg

No separate numbers for 6.35 and 4.4 = Amp is single-ended, as is the 4.4mm output.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But in the official site they say it has 4.4mm balanced output, what is correct?
The 4.4mm Pentaconn jack is capable of balanced (differential) output, but in this product, it carries a single-ended signal, same as the 6.35mm jack.

Phidel

The 4.4mm Pentaconn jack is capable of balanced (differential) output, but in this product, it carries a single-ended signal, same as the 6.35mm jack.
I have my Ananda Nano connected to my FiiO k7 with 4.4mm balanced output but I want a better DAC/amp and I'm interested in this Sabaj but not if it hasn't balanced output. What do you think what is better DAC/amp for these headphones, Topping dx5 or Loxjie d40 pro?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have my Ananda Nano connected to my FiiO k7 with 4.4mm balanced output but I want a better DAC/amp and I'm interested in this Sabaj but not if it hasn't balanced output.
Balanced headphone output is completely useless on desktop Amps. There is no difference in sound quality, nor in quantity when you can use mains power.

vulejov

Is this latest xmos fw..
I asked audiophonics and sabaj same question, they both provide me same new fw..
After flushing it I have same problem with USB input, computer doesn't recognize it after input change, and got new prolem, optical input don't work any more..
So, my advice is to avoide both version, 2022 and 2023.. chinese crap..

vulejov

Still no answer from sabaj or audiophonics..
They both send me latest firmware, which killed optical input.

Last edited:

vulejov

One more day, both received my messages still no answer..
Measurements are ridiculous, if there is no support..

vulejov

One more day, both received my messages still no answer..
Measurements are ridiculous, if there is no support..
One more day, audiophonics support is on two years old kid level, asking me about contact of optical cable, doesn't know or don't want to read that optical input works fine before firmware flashing.. they don't know difference between driver and firmware, they don't understand problem with usb input recognition..
Sabaj support practicaly doesn't exist, only one answer on twitter in which they send wrong firmware, after that no word of them.. not single message or answer on email in one week..

vulejov

It would be better to bought the device at the flea market than at audiophonics..
Sabaj support doesn't exist, audiophonics refuse to send another device..

bigdewil

USB input doesn’t work on Win7..
There is only one driver for XMOS, without support for older windows..
I bought it yesterday, it works flawlessly, you just have to set everything in the menu...

UNICRON-WMD

Hi all, this DAC can be used as a preamp, right? Just need it for DAC, volume and inputs. Sending signal to powered monitors.

El_Konrado

This DAC is currently on sale at hifi-express for 305.99USD which is shocking for this sort of quality.
I received mine a week ago and its hard to believe you can get this kind of quality for 300USD ...
Also for newest drivers its best to go for those from SMSL site, you can get newest XMOS package there and it works perfectly fine with SABAJ.
I replaced my 700USD DAC from 10 years ago with this and it really is unbelievable what sort of a progress these DACs from China made over the years. My last chinese DAC was Topping D30 and it did sound horrible to my ears but from that point the progress they made is amazing.
This Sabaj is a keeper for sure.

Veri

Master Contributor
This DAC is currently on sale at hifi-express for 305.99USD which is shocking for this sort of quality.
I received mine a week ago and its hard to believe you can get this kind of quality for 300USD ...
Also for newest drivers its best to go for those from SMSL site, you can get newest XMOS package there and it works perfectly fine with SABAJ.
I replaced my 700USD DAC from 10 years ago with this and it really is unbelievable what sort of a progress these DACs from China made over the years.
:)

But yes it's quite astounding what a smaller budget can bring you today, may even very well be pointless to splurge on much costlier DACs.

Top Bottom