• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RTINGS.com now measures and reviews also loudspeakers

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Seems that when you want to see more than a few reviews you are going to have to pay for it.
That's a disappointment. Fortunately only for the speaker measurements ... at least till now.
Not gonna pay $45/yr to look at measurements of BT speakers though.
Fortunately the reviews of soundbars, mice, keyboards, printers, vacuum cleaners and blenders is still free.
I would hate it if I can't select just any blender based on objective measurements any more.
Oh no.... the blenders are also behind a paywall.. only the TV's, headphones and monitors are still 'free'.

Edit: just saw dasdoing also noticed this.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't say I'm a great business mind, but it seems to me that switching to a paid-subscription model after having been an open-access site for many years is going to be a difficult sell to customers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's probably why they still have TV's, headphones and monitors F.O.C.

Ericglo

I really liked their content and thought they did a good job with TVs. Going to the drug model (give a free taste then charge), I was disappointed, but at least you get a couple of reviews for free.

I get that they are trying to go the Consumer Reports route of no advertisers to avoid bias, but CR tests a lot more products and services. There has to be a better model than this. Maybe use advertisers from products that they don't review like beer or automobiles.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom