• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rogue One

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well arrival has... Departed so going to see rogue one later..

I hope it's better than 'the force awakens' that in my mind was about has much fun as untangling watchnerds lady's wookiee...( I'd seen it all before, far better the first time round in the 80's) ..

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It was reasonable, the two cgi actors were crap, I thought they could do a better job than that these days. Those scenes had zero impact as the obvious fakery was distracting.

I'm broadly in agreement with amir, I'd add that the terror and strength of the feared empire is some what undermined when a stiff breeze ko's their best fighters.

Decent end sequence save the film, genuine jeopardy was achieved and maintained though the last third of the film. No mean feat considering we all know the Rebels get away with the plans.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought the Chinese dude and his sidekick with huge gun had great potential for follow up movies with just them in there. The fight scene with him using the stick was far more realistic than the Matrix movie for example. And with the funny undertones of him thinking he has the force, made for a good start. Shame they blew up that opportunity, pun intended. :)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I thought the Chinese dude and his sidekick with huge gun had great potential for follow up movies with just them in there. The fight scene with him using the stick was far more realistic than the Matrix movie for example. And with the funny undertones of him thinking he has the force, made for a good start. Shame they blew up that opportunity, pun intended. :)
They were both older guys, plenty of room for them to return in some other backstory. ;)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The movie could well be entertaining.. Not my take though. I fail to see much redeeming value in it. THe story might have hold in itself.. The constant need to have it fit within the Star Wars universe was to me unnerving. The more I watch Star Wars to repeat myself for the 1000th time the less I can relate to its "Sci-Finess". Too many inferences make the thing a frankenstein. Original it is not... It will make its money but this is hardly re-writing the genre (Arrival, Contact) or mind bending (Arrival, Contact) :D

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I fail to see much redeeming value in it.
Not too many agree. ;)
Arrival Released Nov 11 $90,832,332 as of Dec 29th
Rogue One Released Dec 16 $358,656,173 as of Dec 28th

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The constant need to have it fit within the Star Wars universe was to me unnerving.
This was indeed the biggest flaw. They spent so much time after the fact to stitch things together. If they had tried to make a stand-alone movie it would have worked a lot better.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not too many agree. ;)
Arrival Released Nov 11 $90,832,332 as of Dec 29th
Rogue One Released Dec 16 $358,656,173 as of Dec 28th

Mac Donald sells lot of big mac .. Britney Spears lof of CD ...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Star Wars isn't really sci-fi. It's space opera.

Better space opera than soap opera, or real opera for that matter if you ask me. Besides I thought Star Wars was a Space Western.

Possibly what the world needs is a re-pre-three-quel of movies that essentially are True Grit in Space or maybe the Magnificent Space Seven. Unless we harken all the way back to Kurosawa's inspiration. Then we will have a Space Western Samurai kung fu movie.

BTW, though not a great movie, I was pleasantly surprised the Magnificent Seven remake with Denzell was plenty entertaining.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What do you go to the movies for? I thought it was called Entertainment.

If I was looking for life lessons I wouldn't be looking
to those idiots in La La Land. They can't even find the planes they
promised to leave the country on last month! :p

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
BTW, though not a great movie, I was pleasantly surprised the Magnificent Seven remake with Denzell was plenty entertaining.
Kool, maybe I'll fire it up On Demand this week.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Mac Donald sells lot of big mac .. Britney Spears lof of CD ...
And a venture that is a failure doesn't automatically mean it had value. ;)

Top Bottom