• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME offering simpler and more affordable AD/DA and DAC devices

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

helloworld

https://www.synthax.co.uk/latest/2018/09/12/rme-adi-2-fs-ibc-2018/

No screen and lacking some of the DSP functions, but as a basic device with superlative specs these should essentially perform equal to the RME gear already reviewed here while being much less expensive.
Dont know the real difference. If only missing some EQ feature, while the AD/DA and headphone amplifier performs exactly the same as the Pro and DAC, it will be very competitive. But I really doubt it.
Hopefully it's going to be reviewed soon.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RME isn't a BS type of company. This could be an extraordinary device for a price lower than ever for such performance. These are happy times.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the no frills design. But I also love the LCD panel of ADI-2 DAC - a visual enjoyment while listening to music :D

Does this simpler version have DSD playback?

Dro

If it was black instead of gray, I might have gotten it just because high quality AD might come in handy at some point. I know I could get the Pro FS, but the DAC and the new ADI-2 FS are a better combination because I use the IEM out.

eugenius

this rme ad/da is the thing to get with the minidsp shd studio (the digital only version)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the absence of USB input, what do you see as the market for this product? More for small-scale recording studios perhaps? FWIW, I'd consider this as an upgrade to my own studio setup, primarily for use as an ADC fed directly from a mixing desk or mic preamp(s). But that's only because I have a good DAC but no good ADC atm. Most people with a small studio would have purchased an AD or AD/DA (e.g. ADI-2 Pro FS) that already had USB input I would have thought. And I don't think many people playing CDs via a transport connected to a standalone DAC would be paying much attention to a pro-audio brand like RME.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, did not know about this one, very interesting, thanks!
No sure if I can connect it to an UDIO-8 though, I need to look it up but I don't think the internal connectors are the same as the minisharc.

eugenius

If you're into active speakers, the nanoSharc with the dirac upgrade and the 2x8 crossover plugin, plus the okto dac8 seems to me like the thing to build. At least on paper, the nanoSHARC might not be enough for all your filtering needs. :)

You basically get a 2x8 processor with a better DAC for around the price of a 4 channel shd.

Last edited:

Old Listener

Given the absence of USB input, what do you see as the market for this product? More for small-scale recording studios perhaps? FWIW, I'd consider this as an upgrade to my own studio setup, primarily for use as an ADC fed directly from a mixing desk or mic preamp(s). But that's only because I have a good DAC but no good ADC atm. Most people with a small studio would have purchased an AD or AD/DA (e.g. ADI-2 Pro FS) that already had USB input I would have thought. And I don't think many people playing CDs via a transport connected to a standalone DAC would be paying much attention to a pro-audio brand like RME.

The RME ADI-2 DAC does have USB input. RME has split the functionality of the ADI-2 PRO FS into two products.

I doubt that subjectivist audiophiles pay attention to pro audio products. I have been following the pro audio market for years.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The RME ADI-2 DAC does have USB input. RME has split the functionality of the ADI-2 PRO FS into two products.

I doubt that subjectivist audiophiles pay attention to pro audio products. I have been following the pro audio market for years.

Yeh I realise the ADI-2 DAC has USB input (I have one that is running via USB input right now in fact ;) ). What I'm wondering is what the market is for this new product which does not have USB input, given that "audiophiles" will mostly not know/care about it, and most pro-audio users will want something with USB input...

Top Bottom