• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Onkyo..

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an 881, and also a low output 980... they use the same needle - the low output one is interesting, it is effectively the same as LO MC's just in MM form - and yes they sound excellent...
I never owned the 981 (or the corresponding Pickering XSV 5000 series). Their low impedance models left me scratching my head. It was as if they were attempting to surf the MC wave, without the MC.

I owned several of the 881S/XSV 3000 cartridges, and thought they were first rate.

In one of the other on-line forums, years ago, an erstwhile Stanton sales manager ran down the 'politics' of the cartridge business during the heyday of the burgeoning MC scene. How the 'underground' magazines refused to acknowledge the US product. Harry Pearson came in for a particular beat down, in this regard. Certainly many of the Japanese MC were top tier. I'm not arguing against that.

However it was, back then you almost couldn't give away a top of the line Stanton, or Shure V-15 V MR. Now, all of those live in legend.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"Music applied to vibration actuators attached to their aging barrels". Literally don't think I could have come up with such a ridiculous thing in my lifetime. The thing that makes it astounding is this isnt exactly a boutique brand or some single person run operation.
Just think about the impact on those poor barrels of playing them Stockhausen, or Schoenberg, or Webern... or maybe even Charles Ives. :cool:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Onkyo Japan doesn't survive does Voxx simply gain their share by default or ?
For all purposes it appears that whatever is to be branded Onkyo will be made by Sharp and sold by Voxx, under the aegis of the Premium Audio company, a collection of brand names that have no real meaning to most consumers, with the exception of Klipsch, and possibly Pioneer, the latter at most a shell of its former self.

Outside of those walking into a big box store and looking for the most buttons at the lowest price, I can't imagine anyone being too interested in wanting an Onkyo because it says Onkyo on the front panel.

FWIW, the only Onkyo component that ever crossed my path was their P-304 preamplifier. Competent at the low price point, but forgettable in the long run. Reminded me of some of the Denon period gear from that time. Probably made in the same factory.

PS: I also owned their CP-1055F turntable for a few weeks. It was so memorable I forgot about it. LOL

Onkyo-P-304 (Phone).jpg

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hope for the bankruptcy of any audio company that don't pay attention to measurement results... Yamaha had their chance to do better with newer models after the A1080 scored terribly and they didn't give a damn...
Their claim is a market shift to streaming services and phones

Peterinvan

I bought the Onkyo A-9110 2ch amp the week before the bankruptcy announcement. It was the best choice for upgrading my crappy JVC 5.1 AV receiver.
The Onkyo drives my ELAC B5.2 speakers which fit perfectly under my TV. I have a small sub-woofer for movie rumble.

No soundbar for me. I wanted the best sound in my living room for under $1,000.

Now I can enjoy listening to my Tidal streaming via 3.5mm to RCA cable, And movies sound great from the TV (also 3.5mm to RCA cable).

All my gear is enclosed in a closet, so I have an old Harmony RF remote. Neat, Tidy, :)

The only mod I had to do was paint the dots on the knobs white.

iu

265140_aff7d22c606602fabbc05e9a6826f96d.png

peanuts

I hope for the bankruptcy of any audio company that don't pay attention to measurement results... Yamaha had their chance to do better with newer models after the A1080 scored terribly and they didn't give a damn...
unfortunatly these kinds of measurements dont at all impact sales in this segment. format support, design and convenience matters.

Flak

Industry Insider

Flak

Industry Insider
Maybe Onkyo should send in an AVR for testing here... these results for one model left a bad taste in my mouth;

JSmith

A recent unit, costing US$1.000 less than that discontinued AVR, has been tested by Amir already:

JSmith

Master Contributor
A recent unit, costing almost the half of that discontinued AVR, has been tested by Amir already:
That's right... I even voted. :)

Unfortunately though it's not exactly a shining example measurements wise either.

JSmith

dlaloum

Major Contributor
That's right... I even voted. :)

Unfortunately though it's not exactly a shining example measurements wise either.

JSmith
It's at the same level as it's main competitor the Denon X3700.... which is well regarded here...

Outperforms it if you intend to use the Pre-outs for front in combination with the internal amps for surrounds (under which circumstance the Denon pre-outs are V constrained)

What is your idea of a "shining example"? (within the price bracket / market category)

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's at the same level as it's main competitor the Denon X3700.... which is well regarded here...
Not quite in all areas... there were reasons Amir recommended one and not the other. ;)

Anyway, maybe it's me a bit too... I still can't forget the HDMI board failure fiasco from years ago for both Onkyo and Integra models.

JSmith

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Not quite in all areas... there were reasons Amir recommended one and not the other. ;)

Anyway, maybe it's me a bit too... I still can't forget the HDMI board failure fiasco from years ago for both Onkyo and Integra models.

JSmith
I too sufferer from the HDMI board failuer - and then I was bitten by the subsequent models DSP failure..... :(

cavedriver

JSmith
which models had HDMI board failures? I have an (almost legendary) 805 and the HDMI board fried on that, but it was due to a lightning surge that came in through the cable box and ungrounded cable line (an install error that was detected afterwards and paid for by the cable company's insurance). The only problem I have with it is that my 90's vintage Onkyo receiver (a 906 iirc) has a slightly warmer sound as an amp that I prefer over the 805 which sounds slightly hollow. If anyone wants my repaired 805 it's for sale.... ;) Also have an NR1030 that I picked up for cheap lately to replace the 805 in the AV room.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
which models had HDMI board failures? I have an (almost legendary) 805 and the HDMI board fried on that, but it was due to a lightning surge that came in through the cable box and ungrounded cable line (an install error that was detected afterwards and paid for by the cable company's insurance). The only problem I have with it is that my 90's vintage Onkyo receiver (a 906 iirc) has a slightly warmer sound as an amp that I prefer over the 805 which sounds slightly hollow. If anyone wants my repaired 805 it's for sale.... ;) Also have an NR1030 that I picked up for cheap lately to replace the 805 in the AV room.
The 906/876 generation had the HDMI problems - a combination of chipsets running seriously hot, and a bad batch of underscpecced capacitors, the lifetime of which was reduced through heat...

The NR1030 you have is of the same generation as my Integra DTR 70.4 - their problem was with a bad batch of DSP's from TI - the chips have a tendency to warp if they get too hot (which breaks the ball grid array solder points underneath them!) - and of course, they too run very hot.

Two sequential generations with consistent heat problems, combined with manufacturing problems... not a good mix.

JSmith

Master Contributor
So who owns Integra these days? It seems like they were split from Onkyo some while ago?

JSmith

terrymechan

I purchased a Onkyo Sr Tx 252 in 2018. Transformer now kaput. Premium audio now responsible for Onkyo under Voxx will not answer email queries on parts. I got hold of Voxx and the Sales Manager of Premium Audio and the outcome is that don't try and get a part for any Onkyo product built before they went bust. Voxx are selling new Onkyo products but don't know who makes them as they just bought the brand name. Premium Audio Director did ask Japan for a replacement transformer but those who made the components have also gone out of business. Your best get is to buy a second hand unit and cannibalise to replace faulty parts. Second hand units are not cheap although the transformer I require was also fitted in the Pioneer VX 330 unit.

valerianf

"Voxx are selling new Onkyo products but don't know who makes them as they just bought the brand name."
Does somebody successfully got parts/repair for the new Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer models?
I am not convinced that the repair service will be up to the task in the coming years.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I'm sorry to see Onkyo go, I own the A9110 myself. It's a good amp for the regular listener. But here's the thing, guys : we all know, every one of us, that when Topping comes out with a full featured Integrated Amp (you know, plenty of inputs and plenty of knobs), there are going to be a least a half dozen gear makers go out of business. And I'm quite sure that's coming.

Top Bottom