• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

sameg

I was sent one of those FAudio AM01 amps for review. May get it this week. I'll take some photos and post. I sold my SP200 so can't do any direct comparisons. Maybe I'll send or drop off with Amir at some point if he's interested.
Would love to hear your first impression on the amp

antdroid

Reviewer
Would love to hear your first impression on the amp
I posted some impressions in the Drop link discussion board.

Subjectively, it sounds like the SP200 FROM MEMORY, and has some of the same issues -- mainly slightly noisy on 4.4mm/xlr (when using sensitive IEMs) and too much volume on the pot at the lowest rungs -- this is mostly a problem with sensitive iems/headphones.

Otherwise, it sounds clean, crisp, and has tons of power. It doesn't have the slanted edges.

The connectors feel a bit cheap and so does the actual casing, even compared to the SMSL version. The top of the case sags a little bit so fit isn't perfect. Not knowing all the specifics, and just based on listening and appearance, it seems like it is indeed a clone with added 4.4mm jack (which I do appreciate) using cheaper flimsier casing and I'd assume some components inside too.

JediMa

Would you pair it with an Atom or they have the same sound? Not planning to but it's a curiosity I'm having as I just got my Atom and I love how it, I just wonder what's making the difference between them because this one costs more than twice the Atom

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@antdroid , yes, please do drop off that clone amp to @amirm , would love to see measurements on it!
If it's anything like the SP200, it would be a killer at the Massdrop price.

Svperstar

I just ordered the Hifiman Arya, anyone paired the sp200 with it?

I'm sure the Gilmore Lite mk2 is more then enough power but if I find it too quiet I was thinking of getting this.

Not really concerned about balanced or not. Just volume.

Sak

Recently, I began to notice that amp noticeably heats up when idle. I decided to measure it.

photo_2020-08-06_23-04-47.jpg

Is this a normal case temperature ? I guess it's even hotter inside.
When it is under load and i listening to music, the heating is very small. But when it's on and idle, it feels hot. Some strange phenomenon.

Svperstar

Just bought this. My Hifiman Arya got in last night and while the Gilmore Lite mk2 sounds good I can actually turn the knob to the maximum so I think the Arya is being held back.

I'm hoping the SP200 powers it with more authority if there isn't much of a difference gonna send it back.

drownie

Hey guys waiting for my amp to arrive.

It will be my first external amp.

Will it be enough to power it with my motherboards soundcard or should I get a topping D10/E30 to pair it with?

kenshao

What happens if I plug a headphone in the RCA output and another one in the XLR at the same time? Do I get sound in both of them at same volume/quality? I was wondering if I could use this amp as a switcher, so I could head a headphone in one, and a studio monitor plugged in the XLR.
I noticed the rca/xlr switch is for the inputs, but doesn't say anything about the outputs.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What happens if I plug a headphone in the RCA output and another one in the XLR at the same time? Do I get sound in both of them at same volume/quality? I was wondering if I could use this amp as a switcher, so I could head a headphone in one, and a studio monitor plugged in the XLR.
I noticed the rca/xlr switch is for the inputs, but doesn't say anything about the outputs.
There's no RCA output in this amp. If you meant 6.35mm TRS, then the 4pin XLR and 6.35mm jack are on all the time and are independent to each other.

kenshao

There's no RCA output in this amp. If you meant 6.35mm TRS, then the 4pin XLR and 6.35mm jack are on all the time and are independent to each other.

Yes, I meant the TRS. Thanks for the explanation. If both are on and independent they'll do what I want to.

sscape

Recently, I began to notice that amp noticeably heats up when idle. I decided to measure it.

View attachment 76866

Is this a normal case temperature ? I guess it's even hotter inside.
When it is under load and i listening to music, the heating is very small. But when it's on and idle, it feels hot. Some strange phenomenon.

I recently measured mine as well, it reaches 38-39 degrees celcius, but never goes above 40. But I also live in a tropical country where our ambient temperature during the day can get up to 35 degrees celcius, and humidity is always above 40%. To me the SP200 feels like a warm coffee mug.

But I assume this is normal ? Can someone confirm if this is normal? I previously had a Fulla 2 and it does get a little warm, but not as warm as this one. But then again, the Fulla 2 does not have nearly as much power as the SP200.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Can someone confirm if this is normal?
It should be normal. You need to see Class-A headamps. :)
My Matrix HPA-3B gets up to 55C, while Burson 3CX and Soloist 3XP may get higher than 45C.
Important thing is the internal components to not get above 70C, just to be on the safe side with the longevity of the headmap.

Googolbyte

Forum Donor
@amirm This; I couldn't spot this (32 tone test) anywhere on the thread. Btw I'm new here and I love your work. Keep it up!

What about the 32 tone FFT? And THD vs frequency?

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm This; I couldn't spot this (32 tone test) anywhere on the thread. Btw I'm new here and I love your work. Keep it up!
Multi-tone was only done rarely for head-amps, so you will find many reviews lacking it I'm afraid.

MrBrainwash

Hi Guys

I'm big fan of clean and transparent audio. I had o2, I have TheWire(diy-am) still. Recently I bought SP200. I love how it doesn't sound. :D

But I have a problem, and I don't know if I have defect unit or is there something wrong with my electricity in home (I live in old house with old electric instalation). I have the same problem with topping D10. Both can play fine for some time or turn off and on again and again with the click sound.

I think this could be some safety mechanism (I read about it somewhere here in D10 topic) but it's only a guess. Do you have any idea?

MRC01

Major Contributor
I had an Oppo HA-1 with the same intermittent problem. The power supply has a safety relay to shut it down when it detects a short on its output. After a couple of years this relay developed a hair-trigger response, occasionally shutting it off even when there was no short. Probably caused by gradual component deterioration due to heat or heat cycles. Same reason the volume knobs on those units tended to go bad. It ran pretty hot.

Top Bottom