• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

BubbaJay

I'm really looking forward to hearing how my SP200 compares to the A50s that will be here by Friday. They both have the same amount of power when using the A50s balanced and we all know the SP200 isn't a true balanced headphone amp. If I hear a noticablely better sound with the A50s I'll probably get the A90 sometime in the future.

dleute

I have the sp200/m200 stack and it occasionally just stops playing for anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds. Then continues. As far as I can tell it's not the source (I am using a USB dock, but nothing else connected to that is showing problems). And a dx3 pro does not exhibit the same issues.

Anyone experience this?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I have the sp200/m200 stack and it occasionally just stops playing for anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds. Then continues. As far as I can tell it's not the source (I am using a USB dock, but nothing else connected to that is showing problems). And a dx3 pro does not exhibit the same issues.

Anyone experience this?
Nope and have the dx3pro v1 and the sp stack as well,but I use a different source everyday

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, I am observing an unexpected outcome on the sp200.

I am pairing the SMSL SP200 with SMSL SU-8 V2. Listening on Hifiman HE1000SE headphones using stock XLR headphone cable from the XLR out on the SP200. Using Amazonbasics RCA and Amazonbasics XLR interconnect cables (Mogami Gold on the way) from SU-8 to SP200.

I expected the XLR will give similar or better output on the SP200 compared to using the RCA interconnects between the DAC and amp. However, I can clearly hear that using RCA yields a much cleaner output. Treble is much clearer, the instrument separation is more precise and the soundstage is more open. The XLRs sound more subdued comparatively on all fronts.

Any reason why this should happen?? I thought cables shouldn't make any difference or XLR should be better.

Has anyone observed similar output disparity?
Is this still valid for you or has your opinion changed? I am considering sp200 for the su 8 with xlr, but if xlr is worse why not go with topping l30 if rca is also better in sp? Cable lenght is short. Wierdly in some youtube video someone stated that xlr was better than rca In sp200....

dleute

Is this still valid for you or has your opinion changed? I am considering sp200 for the su 8 with xlr, but if xlr is worse why not go with topping l30 if rca is also better in sp? Cable lenght is short. Wierdly in some youtube video someone stated that xlr was better than rca In sp200....

personally, I saw a slight improvement from rca -> xlr on m200/sp200. But it is hard to volume match, so hard to be sure.

Oukkidoukki

Now after a year what is over all consensus with this device.....is it solid option even though volume knob has issues and xlr input is quite hot ( you might need to lower volume from dac if I understood right).......or is it too much problems and using it is bit annoying so you keep seeking better...

MrBrainwash

Hi Guys

I'm big fan of clean and transparent audio. I had o2, I have TheWire(diy-am) still. Recently I bought SP200. I love how it doesn't sound. :D

But I have a problem, and I don't know if I have defect unit or is there something wrong with my electricity in home (I live in old house with old electric instalation). I have the same problem with topping D10. Both can play fine for some time or turn off and on again and again with the click sound.

I think this could be some safety mechanism (I read about it somewhere here in D10 topic) but it's only a guess. Do you have any idea?
I had an Oppo HA-1 with the same intermittent problem. The power supply has a safety relay to shut it down when it detects a short on its output. After a couple of years this relay developed a hair-trigger response, occasionally shutting it off even when there was no short. Probably caused by gradual component deterioration due to heat or heat cycles. Same reason the volume knobs on those units tended to go bad. It ran pretty hot.

Thank you for reply.

I don't know what it is but I want to report that my unit come back to normal on it's own. I listened on many headphones and many hours and every thing worked well. That was weird. I think that reason could be in electricity circut in my house...

aldarrin

How do the SP200 and A50s compare, in your opinion? Can you please share.

I replaced a SP200 with an A90 (should be similar to if higher powered than an A50s). The difference seemed noticeable (didn't AB test, just replaced the unit in place), but I think that came down to the A90 having a 0db gain option (IIRC, the SP200 is on 5-6db on "low" gain). Without turning down the volume coming from a DAC, the SP200 was too hot for sensitive IEMs / super efficient cans. I think any other differences were too subtle to distinguish from placebo without blind AB testing.

Bow_Wazoo

Love the Sp200 with the Utopia HP

PSX_20210119_210408.jpg

Is it my imagination, that the sound seems more powerful with gain on high ?!

Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

No. to be honest, I can't take my own question seriously. Because I am convinced that unused power cannot be heard

Flognarde

I have just bought one ... I am enchanted... It's minor detail but how come SMSL has validated such a poor action volume knob for production ? I ordered 2 new aluminium knobs but I am afraid it won't solve the issue. If I find someone to solder another potentiometer, what improved model would be compatible and would it solve the problem ?

Lero

I have just bought one ... I am enchanted... It's minor detail but how come SMSL has validated such a poor action volume knob for production ? I ordered 2 new aluminium knobs but I am afraid it won't solve the issue. If I find someone to solder another potentiometer, what improved model would be compatible and would it solve the problem ?
I actually tried 2 different sample,first 1/10th volume knob is bad for sure. Volume is slightly unbalanced but after 9 o'clock its perfect. I suggest to adjust part of the volume from the source.

gino1961

i would not mess with the internals ... i would add an external high quality attenuator in a box (aka passive preamp). The internal volume pot (unbalanced) could be set wide open or bypassed with two small pieces of wires soldered on the pots' pins.
I cannot find the input impedance. To be safe the external attenuator should have 1/10 of that value.
If you put it very close (i.e. above the SMSL amp) the cables could be kept very short like 2 feet max. I did it with a preamp in the past and i was shocked by the result. Pots quality is very important.

Last edited:
Top Bottom