• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Yesterday I received my SP200 that I listen to with HD800 and for the moment I'm happy.
With regard to what has been commented, in my case I do not hear whistle or noise at all through the XLR or RCA input at maximum volume and in low or high gain.
It's kinda hard to find an amplifier able to inject audible hiss into HP800, not even my speakers amplifier would be able to do that.
One thing's for sure: sp200 has more than enough power to drive to insane levels the HD800 headphones.

Masterxyr

regarding hisses, would it sound silly to suggest connecting an ipod/iphone etc to the smsl so-200 via mini-jack>rca or lightning to usb? Certainly no ground loops there imo...
Also, folks buying from aliexpress, how much has your custom/vat fee been?

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Haven't tried any IEMs on my unit, but with any headphone I've used I get no hiss or noise in low or high gain so far. Maybe I can try some in ears, and I have the KZ AS10 if that would help.

or965

Haven't tried any IEMs on my unit, but with any headphone I've used I get no hiss or noise in low or high gain so far. Maybe I can try some in ears, and I have the KZ AS10 if that would help.
Please try it. It will be very helpful. Please remove the DAC input from the sp200 and contact the kz as10 to the AMP, set it to low gain and RCA mode and move the volume knob to the right. If you hear any hiss sound please mention the knob position you start to hear the hiss .I ask you to remove the DAC input as I want to test only the AMP.

Last edited:

or965

I try my best to find the problem, so I have bought another as10. Can any member here translate the conversation of KZ to or965?
I couldn't explain anymore. This the explaination of KZ company.
View attachment 44571

I can hear the same current noise when high gain. We are so sorry about that. I agree with the full refund when I received it and I have pay for $20 for the shipping fee to get the item back. But the buyer asks for $50. And have to transfer it to his PayPal account directly. I can accept all the shipping methods. I think $20 is a reasonable shipping price because I only spend $10 to send the item to the buyer.
View attachment 44569View attachment 44570
He said "I can hear the same current noise when high gain" and I said that I hear hiss with low gain and even sent him picture with the knob position, I never will use high gain on his earphones, there is no need. I never asked for 50 US dollars return shipping refund .I only asked for 12.35 US dollars.

Last edited:

Rigel

It's kinda hard to find an amplifier able to inject audible hiss into HP800, not even my speakers amplifier would be able to do that.
One thing's for sure: sp200 has more than enough power to drive to insane levels the HD800 headphones.

Yes, in low gain, I have more than enough. I do not reach halfway through the potentiometer.
It is too early to draw conclusions, I have not heard much time, but for now I am surprised that something so cheap and small may sound so good.
I have to try the D90 also with the HDVD800 to compare more precisely.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please try it. It will be very helpful. Please remove the DAC input from the sp200 and contact the kz as10 to the AMP, set it to low gain and RCA mode and move the volume knob to the right. If you hear any hiss sound please mention the knob position you start to hear the hiss .I ask you to remove the DAC input as I want to test only the AMP.

Did like you asked, I get a faint hiss about halfway at 12 o'clock on the knob in low gain. It's not very loud at all, but it's there.
I also tried my BGVP DM6 IEMs, also hear a hiss at around the same position, and it's a little more pronounced.
For me, it's not a concern, I will most likely never use anything but full size headphones with this amp, from which I don't get any noise.
Hope I could help.

or965

Did like you asked, I get a faint hiss about halfway at 12 o'clock on the knob in low gain. It's not very loud at all, but it's there.
I also tried my BGVP DM6 IEMs, also hear a hiss at around the same position, and it's a little more pronounced.
For me, it's not a concern, I will most likely never use anything but full size headphones with this amp, from which I don't get any noise.
Hope I could help.
Thanks you so much for the test.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
mine will be :) beyer 880
These are bright and lacking bass impact, also subbass doesn't exists at all.

You can try some simple mods @solderdude did here or purchase an inline passive filter if you want to hear out the best from these cans.

Masterxyr

These are bright and lacking bass impact, also subbass doesn't exists at all.

You can try some simple mods @solderdude did here or purchase an inline passive filter if you want to hear out the best from these cans.
cheers! I'll definitely try the paper, and prob just EQ the bass curves

Blur

Forum Donor
regarding hisses, would it sound silly to suggest connecting an ipod/iphone etc to the smsl so-200 via mini-jack>rca or lightning to usb? Certainly no ground loops there imo...
Also, folks buying from aliexpress, how much has your custom/vat fee been?

I can try that too. I know a small amount of noise comes from my cables being so close to so many other power cables and a TV antenna. I do hear considerable mains hum at 100% volume on low gain with IEM’s. Anyone else? WARNING: Do not listen to any music at this setting!! With nothing playing crank the volume to 100% and report what you hear.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
He said "I can hear the same current noise when high gain" and I said that I hear hiss with low gain and even sent him picture with the knob position, I never will use high gain on his earphones, there is no need. I never asked for 50 US dollars return shipping refund .I only asked for 12.35 US dollars.

No, the PayPal shipping refund is 120 ILS refund, the other you need me to transfer to your account $12.35. No just $12.35. I have refund $20 for the shipping fee to return it back. But you do not satisfy with it. The full refund will be when I received the item.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

Regarding the KZ AS10, per manufacturer specs, these IEMs have 14Ohms impedance, 105dB/mW or 125.5dB/V sensitivity (indeed, very high!), although per https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/kz-as10.php measurements these headphones are having an impedance of about 17Ohms and a sensitivity of over 132dB/V (extremely high).

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Hope I could help.

Recommend used as10 with SMSL Idea.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

jaraheel

Ok, expect your result of connecting with the DAC. I think the noise comes from the input.
I just got the dac (Topping D90). The hissing background is still present with both the XLR as well as the RCA inputs to the amplifier. I have decided to return this back to Apos (I must say their customer service is awesome), and go with the Monoprice dac.

Veri

Master Contributor
I just got the dac (Topping D90). The hissing background is still present with both the XLR as well as the RCA inputs to the amplifier. I have decided to return this back to Apos (I must say their customer service is awesome), and go with the Monoprice dac.
That's surprising. XLR really shouldn't have noise/hiss problems. What is your headphone/earphone, exactly?

Top Bottom