• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

jaraheel

I dont want to spoil the party, but maybe its just hissing because your sources are not clean enough and the SP200 is so powerful (in comparison to your past amps) that you can finally hear that. I sold mine for different reasons but after fixing my source i at least didnt have any hiss.
That’s a good observation. I have a D90 coming on Monday so let’s see what’s the result. Good that there’s a 30 days return with Apos

Blur

Forum Donor
Jaraheel, you hear hiss with the volume set to 0 in low gain mode?

Blur

Forum Donor
In your case it is probably the hiss from the amp. As the current flows through the voltage stage especially on high-gain amps like the SP200 you are going to hear some hiss. Add in a sensitive IEM and you pick up that hiss really easily. If you don't like it I would sell your SP200 and get something with less gain in low gain mode like the Schiit Heresy.

jaraheel

In your case it is probably the hiss from the amp. As the current flows through the voltage stage especially on high-gain amps like the SP200 you are going to hear some hiss. Add in a sensitive IEM and you pick up that hiss really easily. If you don't like it I would sell your SP200 and get something with less gain in low gain mode like the Schiit Heresy.
I can check when I get back home. What do you think about the Monoprice or the Drop DAC?

Blur

Forum Donor
Never heard those so I cannot comment.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
@trl
I got the same hiss sound with RCA input contacted to the topping d50 and without it .
Hifi-express, the shop that I bought the SMSL sp200 waste my time, after 15 emails between me an the seller I opened a paypal dispute because the seller only accept that I will return it but I need to pay the return shipping .After I opened the dispute, I really thought that he want to help me, he try to fully understand how I am using the AMP and ask me to unplug the DAC input to see if the issue is from my DAC .I said to him that I already tested it and it happen without input from the DAC .After it he said that he will buy the earphones that I experience the highest volume of hiss noise .I was really surprised because I told him before that I have many earphones that has the hiss noise with low gain. After few days he email me this
"I have received my KZ as10, and I have tried it with SP200.
When it is low, I can't hear the hissing noise.
When it is high, I can hear the noise.
I have tried it with my other headphones like moondrop, sony. It doesn't have any noise.
And I have connected with the KZ company.
They said that is normal, This headset has a better resolution and clear sound quality. The front end you are pairing with has a current sound, and the current cannot be avoided if it is charged. Just more or less. The earphone is of high sensitivity. High gain makes the current sound more pronounced.
Recommend you used it with the low."

After that email I told him that I already mention on the previews emails that the hiss noise is noticeable on low gain and and sent him a picture of the knob position as he requested in the previews emails . I also told him that I do not use the high gain as this earphones never need this power, the volume is very loud with low gain on 10 o'clock knob position .
I only found out that the seller does not try to really help me when he email me this "they always has this noise" and explain me that it is normal, he contradict himself by said now that it has hiss noise on both low gain and high gain .
The worst part that he even does not want to pay only a small part of the returns shipping fee,I ask him to pay only 13 USD of return shipping although it cost me to ship it with insured shipping much more,a 47 USD .Then he tell me that he will pay 20 USD and send me a 20 USD offer on the paypal dispute .If I accept this offer, it mean for paypal that I agreed to keep the AMP for a 20 USD refund, the dispute will be closed and no one can assure me that he will return the rest of the money when he will receive the returned AMP .I so disappointment with this seller, I will never buy anything from him again .

Yes, I have bought two as10 for the try. And I agree with the full refund and pay for the $20 for the return shipping fee. I think that is all I can do, I pay for $10 when I send this item to you.
1578110165283.png

Screenshot_2019-12-31-10-38-08-83.png

This is the chat record between me and the KZ seller. I think that isn't the fault of Sp200. That is the normal current sound of the AMP.

QQ图片20200104115138.png

But the hifiman didn't have this sound.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
this is literally exactly why amir takes SNR measurements at 50mv.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
I try my best to find the problem, so I have bought another as10. Can any member here translate the conversation of KZ to or965?
I couldn't explain anymore. This the explaination of KZ company.
Screenshot_2019-12-31-10-38-08-83.png

I can hear the same current noise when high gain. We are so sorry about that. I agree with the full refund when I received it and I have pay for $20 for the shipping fee to get the item back. But the buyer asks for $50. And have to transfer it to his PayPal account directly. I can accept all the shipping methods. I think $20 is a reasonable shipping price because I only spend $10 to send the item to the buyer.
IMG20191231100850.jpg
IMG20191231100335.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do measurements with rca input for all thx based amp.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
I have tried this as10 with my other amps again. Same current sound with my other desktop amps, like SMSL T1, VA2.
It can hear the same current sound. So that is the same as the KZ company said it can hear the current sound when it connect with the current pre-amp.
But the SMSL Idea connects with the telephone.
This as10 can't be used with the desktop amps, but with the portable amp.
The current sound of the desktop AMP can be sound as the hissing noise as you said.

Last edited:

jaraheel

There still is hiss when volume
Jaraheel, you hear hiss with the volume set to 0 in low gain mode?
No there is no hiss when the volume is set to 0 in low gain. Further if there is no input, there is no hiss regardless of the volume settings. I just checked with XLR inputs and the result is the same hiss. I think I would return this amp and stick with the Atom

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
There still is hiss when volume

No there is no hiss when the volume is set to 0 in low gain. Further if there is no input, there is no hiss regardless of the volume settings. I just checked with XLR inputs and the result is the same hiss. I think I would return this amp and stick with the Atom

I think your problem is not the same as AS10. The AS10 can hear sound the current without any input. What headphone you used with, and what input of the sound?

jaraheel

this is literally exactly why amir takes SNR measurements at 50mv.
I can see the SNR measurements @ 50mv for the Monoprice amp in Amir's measurements is the same as JDS' Atom. Does that mean the Monoprice amp would be as quiet as the Atom?

jaraheel

I think your problem is not the same as AS10. The AS10 can hear sound the current without any input. What headphone you used with, and what input of the sound?
I have the Sennheiser's HD 660S. I am using the RCA connectors fed directly from the audio output (3.5 mm jack) of my computer, though by Monday hopefully a DAC would arrive too.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
I have the Sennheiser's HD 660S. I am using the RCA connectors fed directly from the audio output (3.5 mm jack) of my computer, though by Monday hopefully a DAC would arrive too.

Ok, expect your result of connecting with the DAC. I think the noise comes from the input.

Rigel

Hi.
Yesterday I received my SP200 that I listen to with HD800 and for the moment I'm happy.
With regard to what has been commented, in my case I do not hear whistle or noise at all through the XLR or RCA input at maximum volume and in low or high gain.
I have it connected to a DAC and from this to a PC via USB.

Regarding the potentiometer, I have not had problems either. A very slight increase of the right channel only at the beginning for nothing annoying and that I consider normal and typical.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi.
Yesterday I received my SP200 that I listen to with HD800 and for the moment I'm happy.
With regard to what has been commented, in my case I do not hear whistle or noise at all through the XLR or RCA input at maximum volume and in low or high gain.
I have it connected to a DAC and from this to a PC via USB.

Regarding the potentiometer, I have not had problems either. A very slight increase of the right channel only at the beginning for nothing annoying and that I consider normal and typical.
Good to see other good experiences :)

Rigel

Thank you Veri. With more time I will comment on my impressions. I have it connected to a D90.

Top Bottom