• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW Amp

sfdoddsy

And as the amp does not have a visual cue to know at what volume is working, I have to turn the volume all the way down or up and count the clicks up or down. Also, as there is no remote, if you are using it for streaming, you have to click the source button manually. And the volume you have it at streaming does not translate to the analog entry.

I hope Paradigm gives you an answer, but I'm not holding my breath.

But to have all the benefits of ARC software at this price, compensates all these troubles. But if I've paid full retail price, I'd already have returned the unit for sure.

Well, I got a response from Paradigm about the shut-off issue.

Alas, there is no hidden trick to turn off the shut off. But they will pass my annoyance and request for a firmware fix on to their tech dudes.

It seems they assume everyone will use it for streaming and apparently when that happens it over-rides the shut-off.

I have no desire to use Play-Fi (I have multiple Apple TVs) and use mine strictly as power amps.

This surprised them.

I believe the PW Link does not have the shut-off issue.

The only way to be sure where the volume is is to never turn it off, or to use Fixed Volume (press the Minus and Mute buttons for 5 seconds).

This sets it about half way.

Unfortunately, whilst the shut off merely annoyed the heck out of me, it totally confused my wife and child. Sick of phone calls saying nothing was working, or sudden blasts at full volume, I've moved the PW amps to my Lair system.

I like the latest iteration of ARC Genesis so much, however, I've replaced them with an MRX520.

It's much better than the original ARC in the MRX700 I owned for years, and as good for most as Dirac whilst being much easier to use.

estuardo4

Well, I got a response from Paradigm about the shut-off issue.

Alas, there is no hidden trick to turn off the shut off. But they will pass my annoyance and request for a firmware fix on to their tech dudes.

It seems they assume everyone will use it for streaming and apparently when that happens it over-rides the shut-off.

I have no desire to use Play-Fi (I have multiple Apple TVs) and use mine strictly as power amps.

This surprised them.

I believe the PW Link does not have the shut-off issue.

The only way to be sure where the volume is is to never turn it off, or to use Fixed Volume (press the Minus and Mute buttons for 5 seconds).

This sets it about half way.

Unfortunately, whilst the shut off merely annoyed the heck out of me, it totally confused my wife and child. Sick of phone calls saying nothing was working, or sudden blasts at full volume, I've moved the PW amps to my Lair system.

I like the latest iteration of ARC Genesis so much, however, I've replaced them with an MRX520.

It's much better than the original ARC in the MRX700 I owned for years, and as good for most as Dirac whilst being much easier to use.

As I wrote in my last message here, the new version of the Play-Fi app solved the sudden shut down of the amp and the sudden volume changes. I haven't have a problem using the PWAmp since then. It stays at the volume I choose, even after a general power shut down at my home. And the amp stays on even at lowest volume at night.

sfdoddsy

Are you using Play Fi, or strictly as a power amp?

estuardo4

Are you using Play Fi, or strictly as a power amp?

Both. More like a power amp.

Both volume settings are kept between switches. When I switch to play-fi, the volume is at 1/4. When I switch to the analog source, the volume is at 3/4. No more surprises.

HamNRye

In almost two years of using the PW Amp with my Sony TV through the analog outputs, I never experienced this shut off issue or with the amp not waking from standby. I use the newest version (5.1.0.7772 (20190826)) of the Play-Fi app to set the volume .

Recently I purchased a MiniDSP 2x4 HD to use as a DAC with the TV and it's now a problem. I know the DAC is outputting correctly because if I mute and unmute the amp, it plays immediately. Otherwise it's much longer to wake up if it does at all. Like sfdoddsy I find it unacceptable. But unlike sfdoddsy I can't fit an MRX520 in my TV console. And the sound is so much clearer with an external DAC that I don't want to go back to the analog outputs.

So I've ordered a pair of Emotiva PA-1 monoblocks that allows the standby to be disabled. I’ve been using the PW Amp as a power amp anyway because I tried Dirac Live with the MiniDSP and it works better for me. Dialog in my room was problematic even with ARC, likely because of my living room. With Dirac, I now experience a phantom center and the soundstage is much improved, more present. ARC does tame the low end better, but I’m hoping with some more fine tuning I can get it close to ARC. Dirac with the MiniDSP is a steep learning curve as well. But the MiniDSP allows for things like stereo subwoofers that ARC doesn’t yet.

Once I get the PA-1s it’ll be interesting to see if I’ll be able to tell the difference with using the PW Amp as a power amp, especially considering amirm’s measurements of the PW Amp.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No my PW-AMP does not have Airplay. The Martin Logan Forte product from the sister company has airplay.
That's a bummer. I was going to get one for my wife's office, but she uses and iphone to stream Apple Music. Still, I might get one and use a bluetooth-AAC receiver with it.

mikata

I've set the analog source to fixed volume which was confirmed with a beep when pressing and holding - and mute buttons. But when I open the Play-fi app, the analog source volume is still set at 1/4 volume. Anyone knowing why?

I have not connected an analog source yet, but I'm under the impression it should still be fixed at 3/4 volume or?

hpp8140

I've set the analog source to fixed volume which was confirmed with a beep when pressing and holding - and mute buttons. But when I open the Play-fi app, the analog source volume is still set at 1/4 volume. Anyone knowing why?

I have not connected an analog source yet, but I'm under the impression it should still be fixed at 3/4 volume or?

I believe that is for the PW-Link not AMP

mikata

I believe that is for the PW-Link not AMP
Please read a few post up in the thread. Its for pw amp.
My issue is that the set volume is not kept. It resets to 1/4 after a while or when l close the dts Play-fi app.

estuardo4

My issue is that the set volume is not kept. It resets to 1/4 after a while or when l close the dts Play-fi app.

On the Play-Fi app you have the volume slider for the streaming services and you have the remote volume control for the analog input. I've put the remote volume to 3/4 and it remained set at that level after several weeks now. No need for the mute and volume down combination.

mikata

On the Play-Fi app you have the volume slider for the streaming services and you have the remote volume control for the analog input. I've put the remote volume to 3/4 and it remained set at that level after several weeks now. No need for the mute and volume down combination.
Thanks, I'll try setting the the remote volume control to 3/4 when I get home.

What I think is happening is that I adjust the volume slider for streaming services, because in the app it says "Whateveryounamedyourdeviceto (Analog)", ie I have named my device "Living room". So in the app it displays "Living room (Analog)". So that might have thrown me of.
I have also enabled Auto AUX input mode.

So to summarize, "remote volume control" is for analog in even though the streaming services box says Living room (Analog)?

estuardo4

Thanks, I'll try setting the the remote volume control to 3/4 when I get home.

What I think is happening is that I adjust the volume slider for streaming services, because in the app it says "Whateveryounamedyourdeviceto (Analog)", ie I have named my device "Living room". So in the app it displays "Living room (Analog)". So that might have thrown me of.
I have also enabled Auto AUX input mode.

So to summarize, "remote volume control" is for analog in even though the streaming services box says Living room (Analog)?

Yes, that's how I've put the settings.

What's its name (analog, white led) for the streaming input. And on the plus button on the main screen you have the option to add the remote volume for the analog input (the blue one).

mikata

Yes, that's how I've put the settings.

What's its name (analog, white led) for the streaming input. And on the plus button on the main screen you have the option to add the remote volume for the analog input (the blue one).
Thanks, appreciate the help!

hpp8140

Interesting, not able to find this in the manual. Well, I see you've found out that there is a separate "volume remote" for analog.

Also, under advanced settings there is an option:
Adjust volume on connection - change individual speaker volume to the master volume level when connecting with this app.

hpp8140

The PW AMP works well for me as a compact receiver replacement.

By the way, it also supports IP control. I was able to add learning remote control functionality by using a Raspberry pi and Flirc.tv to translate the IR signals from existing TV remote to IP for vol up/down.

mikata

Anyone else experiencing white noise running this as a power amp(RCA In)? Does not matter if I play anything or not.
According to Amirs measurement RCA In is noisy but anyone else noticed this running the amp as power amp?

I'm running Marantz NR1509 pre-out to PW Amp (fixed volume, also tried variable volume, no difference).
The RCA cables are brand new, not the most expensive one but not the cheapest either.

estuardo4

Anyone else experiencing white noise running this as a power amp(RCA In)? Does not matter if I play anything or not.
According to Amirs measurement RCA In is noisy but anyone else noticed this running the amp as power amp?

I'm running Marantz NR1509 pre-out to PW Amp (fixed volume, also tried variable volume, no difference).
The RCA cables are brand new, not the most expensive one but not the cheapest either.

I only noticed the white noise when I'm using the volume on the amp to the max. My speakers are not very sensitive (84dBA), so I do not hear white noise at lower levels. But it is a reported problem if you are using a sensitive speaker.

My advise is that you lower the volume of the amp to the lowest setting you can comfortably use, and use the volume of your preamp from 3/4 to the max.

You have to remember, and according to Amir's measurements, that this is not a state of the art amp. Its only redeeming qualities are the DSP software and the price.

mikata

I only noticed the white noise when I'm using the volume on the amp to the max. My speakers are not very sensitive (84dBA), so I do not hear white noise at lower levels. But it is a reported problem if you are using a sensitive speaker.

My advise is that you lower the volume of the amp to the lowest setting you can comfortably use, and use the volume of your preamp from 3/4 to the max.

You have to remember, and according to Amir's measurements, that this is not a state of the art amp. Its only redeeming qualities are the DSP software and the price.

My speakers are also 84db (B&W 607).
I tried both decreasing and increasing the volume on PW amp, but still had hiss/noise.
Connected the speakers directly the AVR, and no more noise.
My PW amp also went into stand-by multiple times even though it was being fed a signal.
Its set to auto aux input mode (blue light) and fixed volume. It's running the latest FW.

I will run audessey tomorrow to check if it will do half a decent job ARC did with the controlling the bass.

Thanks!

Top Bottom