• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW Amp

estuardo4

I haven't tried turning the volume all the way up, but don't think removing the playfi card would stop that. The white noise is normal for most amps if the volume is turned up without anything playing.

Yes, if the card is removed, the volume can be adjusted directly on the amp.

Thank you for your response. I know about the white noise, but on the PWAmp was really noisy. A lot of interference. Noticeable at a distance. Bleeps and blops. I'll try to remove it anyway as I don't use Play-fi

hpp8140

Thank you for your response. I know about the white noise, but on the PWAmp was really noisy. A lot of interference. Noticeable at a distance. Bleeps and blops. I'll try to remove it anyway as I don't use Play-fi

Ah yes, it should help the bleeps and blops....mine has gotten better....dunno...maybe after removing & reinstalling.

Also, once in a while, I had this strange issue where the AMP would emit whirring sound like constant wind into the sub out that was resolved by turning it off. Hasn't happened in a while....maybe an update fixed it.

Sad, this could be a great device by ditching PlayFi for Google cast and adding an optical input.

estuardo4

Ah yes, it should help the bleeps and blops....mine has gotten better....dunno...maybe after removing & reinstalling.

Also, once in a while, I had this strange issue where the AMP would emit whirring sound like constant wind into the sub out that was resolved by turning it off. Hasn't happened in a while....maybe an update fixed it.

Sad, this could be a great device by ditching PlayFi for Google cast and adding an optical input.

Another question. Getting rid of the Play-fi card, does the issues with the unit shutting down every five minutes persists? I have to have mine at 50% or lower volume because if I put it between 51% and 100%, if the volume on my DAC is low, the amp turns off after 5 minutes. Thank you for all your help.

hpp8140

Another question. Getting rid of the Play-fi card, does the issues with the unit shutting down every five minutes persists? I have to have mine at 50% or lower volume because if I put it between 51% and 100%, if the volume on my DAC is low, the amp turns off after 5 minutes. Thank you for all your help.

I have not experienced this turning off issue.

estuardo4

I have not experienced this turning off issue.

One last question, if you mind. When you opened up the amp, do you happen to get a look at what amp chip is used? Nobody has published the chip that is used. And Paradigm does not especify the chip they use. Thank you.

hpp8140

One last question, if you mind. When you opened up the amp, do you happen to get a look at what amp chip is used? Nobody has published the chip that is used. And Paradigm does not especify the chip they use. Thank you.

Not sure which chip I'd be looking for?

estuardo4

Not sure which chip I'd be looking for?

Nevermind. I disconnected the play-fi card and tried to take a look, but the chip is covered with thermal paste and I don't have paste at hand to replace it.

What I can tell is that removing the card does indeed remove almost all the noise from the amp. Just a faint white noise sound when I turn all the volume up.

The bad thing is that the amp keeps turning itself off after 5 minutes of listening at lower volume on my DAC. But no more bleeps and bops!

hpp8140

Sounds like maybe the way you have it setup is triggering some protection mode. Did you enable fixed volume mode for use when you control the volume with separate preamp?

FIXED VOLUME MODE: When fixed level is on, the output volume level of the unit is set to a fixed level for sources connected to the analog input. Fixed volume also applies to the Play-Fi source. To enable fixed volume mode hold the volume down and mute buttons for five seconds. Hold them again for five seconds to cancel.

estuardo4

Sounds like maybe the way you have it setup is triggering some protection mode. Did you enable fixed volume mode for use when you control the volume with separate preamp?

FIXED VOLUME MODE: When fixed level is on, the output volume level of the unit is set to a fixed level for sources connected to the analog input. Fixed volume also applies to the Play-Fi source. To enable fixed volume mode hold the volume down and mute buttons for five seconds. Hold them again for five seconds to cancel.

Unfortunately, fixed volume mode didn't work for my setup. I sound confirmed that I was on fixed volume mode when I pressed volume down and mute buttons for five seconds (and the output volume lowered because of this). My PWAmp still turns off when I'm listening to lower volume levels. The only way I avoided this in the past was setting the volume between 60% to 66% using the Playfi app. I'll have to experiment with how many volume down or up I should press to attain this volume level. It is really annoying. But having getting rid of the Playfi sounds is well worth it.

hpp8140

Think I found something...when I first disassembled I had removed the three screws on the top amp board and three screws on the PlayFi card and noticed the bleeps/blops noise was gone. After a month or so, I decided to re-assemble the unit with screws and the noise returned. So I decided to disassemble again and remove the screws in blue and the noise is gone. I'm not sure which screw is the issue (didn't want to mess with it anymore), but all the screws go into plastic, which should not conduct, but some of the screw heads touch some round conductive on the circuit board...maybe those are the issue...think the screws may be acting as unintended extended antenna effect transferring the noise to the amplifier directly above.

I decided to just leave out the screws in blue....should be fine unless the unit is dropped. The noise is gone with the PlayFi card installed....

Attachments

• paradigm-pw-amp-recensie-foto-screws.jpg
    paradigm-pw-amp-recensie-foto-screws.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 184

estuardo4

Think I found something...when I first disassembled I had removed the three screws on the top amp board and three screws on the PlayFi card and noticed the bleeps/blops noise was gone. After a month or so, I decided to re-assemble the unit with screws and the noise returned. So I decided to disassemble again and remove the screws in blue and the noise is gone. I'm not sure which screw is the issue (didn't want to mess with it anymore), but all the screws go into plastic, which should not conduct, but some of the screw heads touch some round conductive on the circuit board...maybe those are the issue...think the screws may be acting as unintended extended antenna effect transferring the noise to the amplifier directly above.

I decided to just leave out the screws in blue....should be fine unless the unit is dropped. The noise is gone with the PlayFi card installed....

Thank you for letting me know. As I don't miss the features from the Play-fi card one bit, I won't re attach the card. But thank you anyway.

It would be really interesting retesting this amp without the card. My guess is that it would improve from the current 71 SINAD to easily above average. I can listen to higher dBs and no noise or hissing on my speakers. A real gem for what it costs. ARC and a clean amp for $175 USD

hpp8140

I agree, just takes a little fiddling to make it decent. The interference noise was driving me insane from the couch...now I don't hear anything from listening position or up close.

michaelahess

I agree, just takes a little fiddling to make it decent. The interference noise was driving me insane from the couch...now I don't hear anything from listening position or up close.

This is good info. I don't hear noise out of either of mine (patio, garage) but if I ever notice it, I'll do this mod. Thanks!

hpp8140

This is good info. I don't hear noise out of either of mine (patio, garage) but if I ever notice it, I'll do this mod. Thanks!

Hope it continues to work well for you. Patio or garage most likely has higher initial noise floor....also more noticeable with subwoofer attached to amplify those lower tones.

hpp8140

Update: purchased the ML Forte and no more noise...guess my PW-AMP was defective....not sure what happened because I don't remember the noises when I first got it.

Well, we will see how the Forte lasts....there's nothing else like it, so at least I got another on sale, which is what it's worth imho.....overpriced at retail....hope another version comes out because the Anthem receivers of old are expensive, but don't even measure well according to the review on this site.

estuardo4

Update: purchased the ML Forte and no more noise...guess my PW-AMP was defective....not sure what happened because I don't remember the noises when I first got it.

Well, we will see how the Forte lasts....there's nothing else like it, so at least I got another on sale, which is what it's worth imho.....overpriced at retail....hope another version comes out because the Anthem receivers of old are expensive, but don't even measure well according to the review on this site.
Good to know. Thank you for the update.

I have a couple of questions for you.

Does this amp has the same discounted price as the PW Amp? From eBay?

Does it has the same features as the PWAmp or are they better (watts, software, etc)?

Thank you.

hpp8140

Good to know. Thank you for the update.

I have a couple of questions for you.

Does this amp has the same discounted price as the PW Amp? From eBay?

Does it has the same features as the PWAmp or are they better (watts, software, etc)?

Thank you.

Yes, discounted straight from the manufacturer's website. The PW-AMP is sold out, but the Martin Logan version adds an Airplay chip; otherwise, it is the same exact hardware/software product. I also own the ML Unison, but when I received the ML Forte AMP I was reminded how awful the case material is...makes me LOL....it is the most embarrassing cheap case/button material for an electronic product I have ever purchased...especially at the full MSRP. The Paradigm version case is much much nicer and also has spring loaded speaker terminals.

One of the main selling points for me was the size of the unit offering ARC room correction, since my TV is on a pedestal stand I wanted the minimalistic look of not displaying a receiver, so the unit is small enough to tuck under the stand out of view.

Top Bottom