• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW Amp

hpp8140

Anyone else experiencing white noise running this as a power amp(RCA In)? Does not matter if I play anything or not.
According to Amirs measurement RCA In is noisy but anyone else noticed this running the amp as power amp?

I'm running Marantz NR1509 pre-out to PW Amp (fixed volume, also tried variable volume, no difference).
The RCA cables are brand new, not the most expensive one but not the cheapest either.

Yes, notice some hiss with ear up close to KEF Q100 when nothing is playing....don't hear it from seating positon.

As noted, the amp is far from perfect, but sounds great to me due to the benefits of ARC...couldn't get Audyssey (NR1506) to sound balanced/natural in my room...especially for music....sounded good for movies, but I run 2 channel and not a big movie buff. The wifi also picks up noise...switched to wired.

scotto541

I just ran ARC for the first time, it's in a small office/desktop 2.1 setup. I kinda hate the way it sounds compared to before. Any advice?
I had manually tuned my speakers and subwoofer crossover with pleasant results. Now it the speakers seem very detached from the sub and I just don't like the overall sound.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ran ARC for the first time, it's in a small office/desktop 2.1 setup. I kinda hate the way it sounds compared to before. Any advice?
I had manually tuned my speakers and subwoofer crossover with pleasant results. Now it the speakers seem very detached from the sub and I just don't like the overall sound.

How high are you running ARC?

scotto541

How high? There are level adjustments? I initially used the included mic USBed to my PC and used the Windows ARC, then I used the ARC app to turn ARC off and on. The user manual isn't much help. I do not see a way to adjust the level of correction.

Last edited:

scotto541

I didn't realize i was in 'auto' mode and not 'advanced' mode. I found the adjustments you mentioned and also tweaked the defaults is came up with a bit. MUCH better, thanks for your guidance. Sad that the easy/auto mode did so poorly. When it's in auto mode what is it's default for the top frequency that it stop making adjustments at. Seems like it was set to 20KHz but the auto mode is so simple it's kind of hard to tell.

scotto541

I need some more help. My PW Amp makes a low frequency rumble kind of noise. It's odd, it's like random pops and such but it's Only below like 30Hz. It does it all the time (unless it's auto powered off), and it'll do it through the speakers if no sub is attached, but if a sub is attached it'll do it through the sub only. It does it without any signal, even with no RCA inputs plugged in at all. I tried different power cords and different outlets. No other amps or receivers have this issue in my house. My only guess is a bad capacitor, but I don't know much about that and I can't take it apart for a couple days. Any ideas would be appreciated. (also, it's out of warranty)

hpp8140

I need some more help. My PW Amp makes a low frequency rumble kind of noise. It's odd, it's like random pops and such but it's Only below like 30Hz. It does it all the time (unless it's auto powered off), and it'll do it through the speakers if no sub is attached, but if a sub is attached it'll do it through the sub only. It does it without any signal, even with no RCA inputs plugged in at all. I tried different power cords and different outlets. No other amps or receivers have this issue in my house. My only guess is a bad capacitor, but I don't know much about that and I can't take it apart for a couple days. Any ideas would be appreciated. (also, it's out of warranty)

Mine does the same. Think it's noise coming from the PlayFi card....maybe noise from the wifi chip even though using Ethernet. Tempted to try removing the play-fi card and see if it will still work.

Attachments

• paradigm-pw-amp-recensie-foto-3.jpg
    paradigm-pw-amp-recensie-foto-3.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 271

hpp8140

Since the device is easy to work on (low risk of damage) and out of warranty, I decided to open it up an remove the playfi module.

It fixed the noise issue and it worked as an analog amp. Only issue for me is that the ethernet port no longer worked, so can't easily connect to ARC room correction software or control the volume from across the toom using IP commands.

https://fccid.io/2AAWQ-CAPRICA2L/User-Manual/User-manual-2746543

hpp8140

More info:
Can connect device to computer via usb type B mini port and use Anthem Room Correction.

Good option for someone using the amp nearfield to reach the volume controls.

scotto541

In my case it seems like the cause is the wifi chip (which is also I think the PlayFi chip). So I factory reset it and only connected it via Ethernet cable. It will still make the noises at first as it tries wifi first, but after a minute or so it connects via Ethernet and no longer makes the noises (I think. I haven't been able to give it a really good, quite, listen, but I know for use it's at the very least WAY better). It's really good to know I can disconnect the card altogether and use USB to still use ARC. I originally tried just disconnecting the wifi antennas, but that made it worse as it was trying really hard to find a wifi signal.

0hm357aW

Thanks for review and all the comments.

I am on my second Forte in the last 3 weeks. First one had wifi network issues and I couldn't get a steady signal through the wireless wifi.

The second one I got today is working good. With good signal the audio sounds great to my ears.

I'd like to see a review of the Martin Logan Forte with close ups of elctronics on the inside for comparison.

I love the size and functionality of this music streamer/processor amp. Magnolia at Best Buy has the Forte on sale for $249.99 if you can find them available.

The Magnolia Sales rep at Best Buy told me the Forte has a DAC built in for the WIFI/ETHERNET digital input but the RCA in put bypasses the DAC. I confirmed this with Martin Logan customer support when troubleshooting my problems with my 1st Forte.

I'd love to see a TPA 3255 version of this product that uses Wifi-6 to transmit signal to a balanced linear high quality modern DAC. I think that would be a perfect all in one affordable solution relevant to digital audio content available. A single TPA 3255 in stereo or dual 3255 mono for louder load speakers.

Last edited:

hpp8140

Thanks for review and all the comments.

I am on my second Forte in the last 3 weeks. First one had wifi network issues and I couldn't get a steady signal through the wireless wifi.

The second one I got today is working good. With good signal the audio sounds great to my ears.

I'd like to see a review of the Martin Logan Forte with close ups of elctronics on the inside for comparison.

I love the size and functionality of this music streamer/processor amp. Magnolia at Best Buy has the Forte on sale for $249.99 if you can find them available.

The Magnolia Sales rep at Best Buy told me the Forte has a DAC built in for the WIFI/ETHERNET digital input but the RCA in put bypasses the DAC. I confirmed this with Martin Logan customer support when troubleshooting my problems with my 1st Forte.

I'd love to see a TPA 3255 version of this product that uses Wifi-6 to transmit signal to a balanced linear high quality modern DAC. I think that would be a perfect all in one affordable solution relevant to digital audio content available. A single TPA 3255 in stereo or dual 3255 mono for louder load speakers.

The Forte is essentially the same as the PW-AMP, except it has Airplay.
https://fccid.io/R48FORTE/Internal-Photos/Int-photo-2786745

michaelahess

I bought two of the Forte directly from Martin Login for 250 each. Expanded my living room to 7.2 on my old Onkyo TX-NR1009 and I had to replace Amps for zone 2 and 3 going to my garage and patio. This seemed like a perfect (non Sonos) fit.

I have to say I'm impressed. They are running a pair of old yamaha outdoor speakers and a pair of JBL Control in the garage. After running ARC, both areas sounds FAR better than the un-eq'd Onkyo channels. They are plenty powerful, and have a sub out I just might use in my garage.

I've had one time where streaming failed from Alexa, a reboot on the one unit fixed it. Otherwise the streaming is perfect and works just like my many Echos. The Play-Fi app does a steller job with all my online accounts. However it refuses to see my local Plex server. Which isn't a concern as neither location are used for my critical listening.

For the price, I think these are great. Maybe I wouldn't use them in place of my Pioneer Elite X-Z9, my Yamaha RX whatever with my JBL S312/S38's and Andrew Jones Pioneer Gen 1's, or the Triangle BR08's on my Onkyo. I'm super audiophile yo. But the honest truth is, these are MORE than good enough, even if they aren't perfect!

Now I just hope they are reliable.

0hm357aW

For the price, I think these are great. Maybe I wouldn't use them in place of my Pioneer Elite X-Z9, my Yamaha RX whatever with my JBL S312/S38's and Andrew Jones Pioneer Gen 1's, or the Triangle BR08's on my Onkyo. I'm super audiophile yo. But the honest truth is, these are MORE than good enough, even if they aren't perfect!

Now I just hope they are reliable.

I ended up returning mine due to unreliability with the wireless connection. I couldn't get the connection to my Wifi Router to stick. I tried two of them out and same problem.

michaelahess

I ended up returning mine due to unreliability with the wireless connection. I couldn't get the connection to my Wifi Router to stick. I tried two of them out and same problem.

I don't use wireless for anything that has ethernet. Hopefully I avoid any issues like that.

estuardo4

Since the device is easy to work on (low risk of damage) and out of warranty, I decided to open it up an remove the playfi module.

It fixed the noise issue and it worked as an analog amp. Only issue for me is that the ethernet port no longer worked, so can't easily connect to ARC room correction software or control the volume from across the toom using IP commands.

https://fccid.io/2AAWQ-CAPRICA2L/User-Manual/User-manual-2746543

Hello, I hope that you are still at this forum. Or for any other person that also removed the Play-Fi card. Does removing the card stops the white noise coming from the speakers when the volume is all the way up? Or just the bleeps and blops? If I remove the card, the volume should be adjusted directly from the amp? Thank you for your help.

I see that you were able to use the ARC software connecting directly to the computer using the mini usb connection on the back. That is really good to know. I rarely use the Play-Fi software (if ever), so removing the card seems like a good option.

hpp8140

Hello, I hope that you are still at this forum. Or for any other person that also removed the Play-Fi card. Does removing the card stops the white noise coming from the speakers when the volume is all the way up? Or just the bleeps and blops? If I remove the card, the volume should be adjusted directly from the amp? Thank you for your help.

I see that you were able to use the ARC software connecting directly to the computer using the mini usb connection on the back. That is really good to know. I rarely use the Play-Fi software (if ever), so removing the card seems like a good option.

I haven't tried turning the volume all the way up, but don't think removing the playfi card would stop that. The white noise is normal for most amps if the volume is turned up without anything playing.

Yes, if the card is removed, the volume can be adjusted directly on the amp.

Top Bottom