• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Zensō

Major Contributor
I do not advise buying JDS Labs products, one of my power supplies is broken, and the volume control is rustling on the amplifier. The new PSU was shipped free, but the overall quality is poor.
Somebody has an axe to grind it seems.

If we’re offering anecdotes, I’ve had fewer issues with their products than other brands in the same price category. An added plus is that JDS has excellent customer service, the best I’ve encountered.

Last edited:

elira

If it’s still under warranty just ask for a new transformer. They might not even be aware of the issue. If enough people RMA then they would need to find a better one. Considering that they are in the US they might not have long term experience with the European transformer.

Toroid

With the Atom it's what's on the inside that counts. IMHO, this is hands down the best amp at the $99 price, SQ wise.

Reactions: PSO

PuX

under normal use power supplies shouldn't break that easily, and if it does break they sell replacements.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
under normal use power supplies shouldn't break that easily

That's the point. Isn't normal it breaks out of nothing. It breaks from your own weight and gravity. The plastic is too thin and not good quality.

bboris77

That's the point. Isn't normal it breaks out of nothing. It breaks from your own weight and gravity. The plastic is too thin and not good quality.

Are we talking about 220V power supplies here? I’ve had multiple JDS Labs products with 110V PSUs and they were all built like tanks.

jseaber

Audio Company
If it’s still under warranty just ask for a new transformer. They might not even be aware of the issue. If enough people RMA then they would need to find a better one. Considering that they are in the US they might not have long term experience with the European transformer.

Yes, please reach out if you need help! US customers represent 67% of our sales. As of October 2020, 17 customers had reported transformer failures. We have provided free replacements in each case.

Rest assured we passed customer photos along to the transformer OEM months ago, as I found it strange that some transformers suddenly failed in 2020, with virtually no reports in previous years. The OEM responded within a detailed report the same week explaining the cause and their corrective action. In short, I interpreted their report to indicate a rushed batch.

On a side note, the same OEM builds transformers for other top brands in the industry.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, please reach out if you need help! US customers represent 67% of our sales. As of October 2020, 17 customers had reported transformer failures. We have provided free replacements in each case.

Rest assured we passed customer photos along to the transformer OEM months ago, as I found it strange that some transformers suddenly failed in 2020, with virtually no reports in previous years. The OEM responded within a detailed report the same week explaining the cause and their corrective action. In short, I interpreted their report to indicate a rushed batch.

On a side note, the same OEM builds transformers for other top brands in the industry.
I know you guys at JDS Labs use proper, quality transformers but maybe a note, first time I plugged mine in it(the supply) made a weird pop noise, and this only the very first time after unpacking the amp and the power supply and plugging it in the outlet. Maybe you could include a note that this is "normal" and that it can happen at first use? Or has no one else ever mentioned this?

Not complaining, just wondering.

jseaber

Audio Company
@Veri: Hm, I've never noticed that. It's difficult to say with any certainty what you experienced.

julian_hughes

I bought my JDS Labs Atom one year ago. I use it every day. I'm in UK. I didn't break the PSU yet. I connected the amp with the power supply one year ago and have not touched the PSU since. I think this is a great technique!

However after 6 months the volume knob did fall off into my hand! It's OK, I pushed it back onto the spindle and it has sat there being twiddle this way & that for another 6 months and all is well. I would prefer if it hadn't come off but I don't really care. My previous headphone amp was an S.M.S.L sAp II. Very substantial metal case and metal volume knob, massive power, nothing fell off. But the Atom is *much* nicer with IEMs and really sounds great so I can happily overlook a minor, temporary, easily fixed issue.

Reactions: PSO

Gradius

As for JDS Atom you can buy a metal knob dial, isn't expensive at all.

Gotta do it right now. ;-)

Top Bottom