• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the point. Isn't normal it breaks out of nothing. It breaks from your own weight and gravity. The plastic is too thin and not good quality.

I'm just catching up with this thread. Why would somebody put their weight on the transformer for the Atom??? :facepalm:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an American-based and manufactured, humble company with good philosophy and excellent customer support. I can't say a single bad thing about JDS Labs.

I've owned several JDS Labs products, @Objectivist01 . I bought the Objective 2 not long after it came out. It was dead on arrival. John Seaber, the owner, quickly worked with me to verify that it was, and immediately cross shipped me a new one.

And that's the thing. If you have a problem with the JDS Labs product, you get to deal directly with them and their customer service is excellent. Topping doesn't work with you. You have to hope that you have a good vendor. Not sure how it will work in the EU, though.

Meanwhile, it's my personal opinion that if JDS Labs discovered a voltage regulation issue in one of their amps, they wouldn't have snuck a fix into the next production run like Topping did without telling anyone.

But I could be wrong. About JDS Labs. Not about Topping. Too bad Topping wasn't more transparent. Some people's amps might not have been destroyed by ESD.

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why ? Objectively jds labs offers nothing more thr topping. Topping is available with amazon prime.
What nonsense.

The Atom predates the L30 and there are many contended owners (myself included). It offers nothing more, but also nothing less. Actually, that's not true. I hear rumours that earlier models of the L30 can fry your headphones. That's one thing that it does and the Atom doesn't. ;)

If you could point me in the direction of a live link to the L30 on Amazon Prime then I'd be grateful. Can't find it myself

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
JDS Labs Atom>
jds 1.png

JDS 2.png

Topping L30>
JDS 3.jpg

jds 4.jpg

Audio Science review test specs for JDS Labs Atom and the Topping L30>
jds 5.png

jds 6.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
JDL Labs Atom:
-RCA preamp output.
-Connect up to two sources and select between 3.5mm and RCA input with the push of a button.
-Relay muting eliminates pops and thumps during startup.
-Low gain of 1.0x is well suited to driving efficient IEMs, while high gain 4.5x easily powers demanding full size sets when paired with a 2VRMS DAC.
-4-layer PCB, star grounded layout.
-Potentiometers are hand matched as of May 2020 for optimal channel balance.

Topping L30:
-RCA preamp output.
-Connect one source.
-+/- 9 dB of gain adjustment.
-Potentiometers are hand matched.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent features' summary. Thanks.
It's a 6 of one and a half dozen of the other situation. The JDS Labs offers multiple inputs, has lots of power and is clean enough to consider it as transparent as the Topping and has not had a any factory recall for issues. The Topping has a nicer faceplate, 3 gain settings instead of 2, slightly better specs beyond your hearing ability and has had issue with electrostatic discharge causing damage to it. I like them both but I would not gamble on the Topping atm because of the ESD situation and not knowing if this issue is fixed long term. :D

Objectivist01

What nonsense.

The Atom predates the L30 and there are many contended owners (myself included). It offers nothing more, but also nothing less. Actually, that's not true. I hear rumours that earlier models of the L30 can fry your headphones. That's one thing that it does and the Atom doesn't. ;)

If you could point me in the direction of a live link to the L30 on Amazon Prime then I'd be grateful. Can't find it myself
But mesurement here says topping destroys the atom. Should i belive your ears or the measurements?

Objectivist01

JDL Labs Atom:
-RCA preamp output.
-Connect up to two sources and select between 3.5mm and RCA input with the push of a button.
-Low gain of 1.0x is well suited to driving efficient IEMs, while high gain 4.5x easily powers demanding full size sets when paired with a 2VRMS DAC.
-4-layer PCB, star grounded layout.
-Potentiometers are hand matched as of May 2020 for optimal channel balance.

Topping L30:
-RCA preamp output.
-Connect one source.
-+/- 9 dB of gain adjustment.
Look at the amps performance measurements also. Not just features. I dont have more than one source and a headphone. So none of this matters to a person like me. I am in Europe and jds dont sell it here for 99 bucks. So warranty claim means lot of money for me. Amazon germany sells topping with prime and they come up with 2 year warranty.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at the amps performance measurements also. Not just features. I dont have more than one source and a headphone. So none of this matters to a person like me. I am in Europe and jds dont sell it here for 99 bucks. So warranty claim means lot of money for me. Amazon germany sells topping with prime and they come up with 2 year warranty.
2 years warranty is very good.

Objectivist01

What nonsense.

I am hearing that rumour for the first time. And jds
2 years warranty is very good.
Right now its sold out in amazon but still can find it here:https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/sede...plifier-preamplifier-nfca-silver-p-14705.html

Sukie

Forum Donor
But mesurement here says topping destroys the atom. Should i belive your ears or the measurements?
The measurements show that, under normal listening conditions, there will be no audible differences between the L30 and the Atom. My ears don't come into it.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I am hearing that rumour for the first time. And jds
Sorry, I was being a bit facetious. It's more than a rumour, it's well documented on this site. Luckily it hasn't directly affected many people's headphones and Topping have now acted to remedy the problem.

Top Bottom