• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD T777 AVR

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Most people who buy home theater receivers will be watching a lot of cable or satellite TV, which uses Dolby AC-3 which is a lossy compression scheme.
Most people listening to 2 channel only today do so using receivers and speakers bought at Best Buy using sources no better than Redbook and mostly worse. Today.s hipsters are playing 40 yo worn out LPs full of rice krispies on cheap turntables. The rest consider their $250 sound bar high fidelity. Only a very tiny fraction ever dip their beaks into anything even approaching high end.

I think one needs a dedicated high quality two channel music system for MUSIC, to which can be added a pre-pro for TV/BluRay, with the attendant extra amps and rear speakers so you can hear the surround gimmickry that is employed in TV DVD Blu-Ray and "App-based video." But I wouldn't expect the pre-pro to sound as good as my 2-channel "music dac."
I would, and more so. There's nothing more "deserving of high fidelity" from a 2 channel music reproduction system, than from a 5.1 24/96 multich music and BluRay playback rig. In fact more so since the vast majority of the 2 ch music library is only Redbook or worse. Just about the entirety of my multichannel library offers data rates greater than that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You need to stop generalizing from the audiophile DAC niche. Because it self selects for people who are looking for that as the major differentiator.
The desktop audio market is larger than the entire rest of 2-channel audio market. You ever been on reddit? Or head-fi? Both dwarf any other place dedicated to 2-channel audio. Here is reddit stats in the headphone group:

1569960491462.png

256,000 members. 1,700 concurrent readers as of this moment. Yes, that includes headphone talk but almost every one of those headphones is connected to a desktop audio product.

I reckon that market is also larger than than high-end AVR market.

In AVRs, one spec almost everyone looks at is amp power rating even if it does not make a difference to anything they use it for.
You are looking at where we have been, not where we are going.

But you are making the same logical fallacy of assuming that because of it, any measurement we do will be relevant and important.
And you have a golden globe that tells you the future better than me? Who says? You have not provided any data to back any of this. I have data. I know the trends in our forum traffic. I know the influence over manufacturers from my communications with them. I monitor and participate in other forums. This is my business to know. You are just shooting from the hip, throwing out negativity based on your gut feeling. That doesn't amount to anything.

In short, stop thinking like a technical manager and more like an outward facing product manager to make the “product” of this site more relevant and the work worthwhile to change the industry.
Yeh right. My last corporate job was Vice President of a division at Microsoft that included not only R&D, but also marketing, PR and business development. Don't go for cheap shots as if I am just a techie.

Anyway, you have said what you wanted to say and are not adding any information. And at any rate, just adding noise to this review thread. Take your comments to another thread if you want to keep at it.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Even in mass market, people look at specs whether it makes a difference or not. In AVRs, one spec almost everyone looks at is amp power rating even if it does not make a difference to anything they use it for.

A better approach is not discarding the measurement but rather how you present and infer from them. For example,

1. Stop rating every device out there in a single SINAD table with arbitrary buckets that have no logical or tangible explanation as to why they are so divided.
2. For AVRs, create a separate table based on quality of audio it is capable of handling with categories of CD quality, DVD quality, Studio Quality, Hi Res, etc based on the measurement. There may be a technical explanation of what those categories mean somewhere but those labels are much more tangible and meaningful to population outside this echo chamber than bits and khz. It will also be something that the manufacturer marketing people will understand better than dB numbers as relevant to their segment.
etc.

In short, stop thinking like a technical manager and more like an outward facing product manager to make the “product” of this site more relevant and the work worthwhile to change the industry.

People may look at power ratings without realizing there is a HUGE difference between ACD/2 channels driven, RMS/Peak/etc. They may not understand why they matter, until trying to drive 4 ohm loads at reference levels (which is loud, but neither dangerously nor uncommonly so). This needs to be explained, and often is explained, using the results from instrumented tests.

WRT presenting and inferences, less is more. It is methodologically appropriate to use tiers, tranches etc. so that people don't get overly fixated on a single number. Amir's charts do this, but it is not as arbitrary as you believe. It is a bucket system based on quartiles, reasonably framed by the best and worst rankings. We're Amir to discover a DAC or AVR with 30 bit resolution, I'm sure he'd develop a new methodology because it would be absurd to group it with similar items of 20-ish bit resolution. So there is a methodology. Not one that passes an ADD test, but it generally works.

It looks like you're proposing more lax standards for AVRs. This seems strange to me because, like two channel systems, their purpose is sound reproduction. So what objective reason can you provide that explains why a consumer should get lower performance?

Some of your arguments seem reasonable. Others appear to lie somewhere on "the spectrum". A few sound like the $hit issued by industry mouthpieces.

What's here seems to be having an effect in the industry. So why mess with it?

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
When people have to put up strawmen to shoot at, the argument is weak and a fallacy. Who said the above?

Pedantics won't save you here. I can't strawman you, your reply was a few posts above, everyone can see if I was strawmanning, I'm just trying to keep the points brief, and everyone understand what I am replying to. That being this statement you in the first section of the post I was replying to.

You should stop paraphrasing and use actual quotes so as not to put up strawmen to shoot at.
The point was that people won’t care about some spec improvement unless the effect of that improvement aurally is as obvious as that of using a room correction. Find anyone here that will say improving the spec from the bottom of the SINAD table to the top will have an obvious aural improvement to the consumer.

Take the actual thing you said, and my reply in this portion still stands. Cry strawman all you want, I do not recind the message of that portion. Makes no difference if I quoted in full or not. I quoted the whole post so anyone can see it regardless. I paraphrase to make the message digestable, but if you want to go down the semantics route, my PM box is always open to spare others such nonsense.

Ironic, you call massive number of people deluded and ignorant with respect to basic logic fundamentals using more fallacious logic than I haver seen in a single post. In addition to strawman arguments above that are fallacious, the argument above is illogical.

First, it makes a case that measurements are important that no one argued against (strawman). Second, it uses a non sequitor argument. Dirac is possible only with measurement and therefore any measurement is useful. Not sure you should be calling large groups illogical. That is just self-unaware arrogance.

You argued it by implication(of which I will direct quote to spare me of your strawman cries). The portion that insinuated such by saying:

1) "NAD cannot compete with Yamahas"

2) "It is a bit presumptuous to think these measurements are going to influence the market beyond a niche segment "

Now if you want to backpeddle and go on the typical pedantic route you've done in this post by saying "oh but I don't actually mean to imply such a thing" then go on ahead, you won't get any resistence from me, but as laymen - everyone else would have come to this conclusion about your stance. By you saying that I said "measurements are imporatntl, and no one is arguing against this" you now stand as hypocrisy personified with your strawman you just made. You seriously want to make a talking about about the general understanding measurements have some importance? Give me a break.

Second, I am not concerned with what you think I should be calling large groups. I'll call them illogical now, as I did back then, as I call you the same as them now as well by stating some of the things you've stated. Seeing as you're the pedantic type, next time preface your statements as blatant opinion because they clearly don't coincide with any other events in reality where you can draw parable from. Certainly not from any other industry.

I think you meant to say, “not because they are unable” which no one claimed to be so technically. Note that the point is whether there is more than diminishing returns on doing so in that investment. So the rest of the argument is moot as well.

Strawman shield up again:

"NAD cannot compete with Yamahas, D&Ms and Sony’s for shelf space regardless of how clean they make their DACs."

:rolleyes: You're right, you "technically" said nothing resembling of the sort. Your whole post only argued for such reasoning, but never directly said the exact words. You must be joking?

Less bile on manufacturers and their customer base and a more logical argument would be more persuasive.

The logic was presented. Only in audio do these tired old voodoo nonsense machinations, and beliefs about what would work on the market for eletronics could ever suffice. This is only made possible due fossils still roaming about polluting any sort of newcomer's idea of what HiFi could be with their science denialist nonsense. And with great supplementation from folks such as yourself saying mainstay long time companies can't match performance metrics of companies from places like China and such, and worse - they perhaps shouldn't even bother. Instead focus on nearly everything else in order to make the sale... As if people are doomed to your defeatist fallacy outlook of people as some sort of dumb/deaf/blind sheep ready for the slaughter, incapable of being taught on how to read basic labels and tech specs on a website about the general performance of their electronic devices.

And please don't reply to me asking for the "Find anyone here that will say improving the spec from the bottom of the SINAD table to the top will have an obvious aural improvement to the consumer" nonsense. Why would I do that? What do you take me for, some sort of errand boy? Take some of that logic you proclaim to posses adequate enough to trample mine, and think about what you insinuate and if such a stance was applied in the past. ANYONE could have said what you just said now but substitute SINAD with any other metric ever used. Why would progress ever need to happen in any realm? Some people want engineering excellence, even if we get 130db SINAD devices, it doesn't matter if audibility is concerned. But you specifically said we're niche, and you imply in multiple instances why measurements need not be chased in some instances.

Tks

Major Contributor
Oh and just a general thing I forgot to mention to you @audimus

The THX 789, the JDS Atom, and many other amps and DACs are demonstrating just how seriously disregarded mainstream old time amps/dacs and are becoming more and more irrelevant. And that is squarely due to the attention those devices were given to with measurement devices, and ESPECIALLY the benchmarks run here.

But this has more to do with the progress of time, and as it goes forward, the level of education and understanding about things among the population increases. Most of these boutique companies will be the laughing stock of folks in a few years, in the same way on Reddit audio cable sonic improvements have become a laughing stock as opposed to when I joined where it was more like Head-Fi.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:

audimus

Some of your arguments seem reasonable. Others appear to lie somewhere on "the spectrum". A few sound like the $hit issued by industry mouthpieces.
Such a reaction typically means it is balanced without being in any echo chamber, right? :)

But seriously, that spread is because of attempts to separate real world meaningful data and its inferences from those that are not so much. That is the problem with just dumping the slew of measurements unrelated or loosely related to audibility. This is compounded by lumping all devices into one table just because they all have a DAC. What would happen to the auto industry reviews if ratings were across all autos because all of them have an engine and bashing an SUV because its mpg is so much worse than a hybrid?

Amir’s responses to criticism here is no different from the reactions by the manufacturers to his measurements. Why is one more likely to change than the other.

What's here seems to be having an effect in the industry. So why mess with it?

Because the effect, in my opinion, is marginal outside the enthusiast vertical market with small vendors to break into mass market improvements.

Consider two types of portrayal of measured data:

1. This unit barely breaks into 17 bits territory while the other one has plenty range up to XX bits.
2. This unit is best for audio at CD quality from measurements while the other one can satisfactorily reproduce higher resolution audio.

Which one do you think outside this echo chamber would resonate better with consumer’s understanding of the differences between units and which one when it spreads is likely to make manufacturers take notice.

I don’t see this as messing with it, but rather improving the use and impact of measurements.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Such a reaction typically means it is balanced without being in any echo chamber, right? :)

But seriously, that spread is because of attempts to separate real world meaningful data and its inferences from those that are not so much. That is the problem with just dumping the slew of measurements unrelated or loosely related to audibility. This is compounded by lumping all devices into one table just because they all have a DAC. What would happen to the auto industry reviews if ratings were across all autos because all of them have an engine and bashing an SUV because its mpg is so much worse than a hybrid?

Amir’s responses to criticism here is no different from the reactions by the manufacturers to his measurements. Why is one more likely to change than the other.

Because the effect, in my opinion, is marginal outside the enthusiast vertical market with small vendors to break into mass market improvements.

Consider two types of portrayal of measured data:

1. This unit barely breaks into 17 bits territory while the other one has plenty range up to XX bits.
2. This unit is best for audio at CD quality from measurements while the other one can satisfactorily reproduce higher resolution audio.

Which one do you think outside this echo chamber would resonate better with consumer’s understanding of the differences between units and which one when it spreads is likely to make manufacturers take notice.

I don’t see this as messing with it, but rather improving the use and impact of measurements.

It's interesting that you cite car reviews. I will die happy if I don't see another one of those in which the car scores 8.5/10, which is the predominant score these days. It's based on a whole bunch of equally weighted factors, such as drivetrain (which is kind of important in a car) and infortainment (which is nice, but far less likely to leave the missus stranded in front of the biker club house, if you take my meaning).

The exact source of Amir's ennui is unknown to me. I suspect he suffers from the same frailties of patience like the rest of us, and is left wondering why people expect him to post every combination and permutation of test results when manufacturers don't even list basic specs for their gear. It's like asking Desmond Tutu why he isn't doing more to help the people of Soweto when there are others egregiously violating the most basic tenants of social behaviour.

WRT your example, it is important to note that consumer needs may vary... by several bits. Somebody who simply wants 16 bits of resolution would be delighted by something capable of 17 bits. Somebody who is trying to keep THD+N below -118 dB across the audio chain (less loudspeakers) might prefer about 20 bits of resolution (provided that their using material that can be exploited to this magnitude). To equate both DACs (16 bit vs 20 bit capable DACs) as equally excellent would be misleading. It would seem, therefore, that there is some value in establishing a logical cut point for specs... but choosing a perfect one is impossible because "good enough" varies by the user requirement.

I don't think the average consumer has a clue (or wants to have a clue) of how any of this works. Indeed, I think that the age we're in is noteworthy because of the aggrandizement of stupidity that seems to exist across society. The interests of the few who want to learn are best served by taking a data-heavy, vice ratings heavy, approach.

I can see why grouping devices by capability improve comprehension... but only to a degree. Anyone wanting to make a determination on the suitability of a device for their particular needs must crunch the data.

The quality of what Amir does is in the data, not in the charts.

Last edited:

audimus

It's interesting that you cite car reviews. I will die happy if I don't see another one of those in which the car scores 8.5/10, which is the predominant score these days. It's based on a whole bunch of equally weighted factors, such as drivetrain (which is kind of important in a car) and infortainment (which is nice, but far less likely to leave the missus stranded in front of the biker club house, if you take my meaning).
None of that is comparable to rating SUVs, Hybrids, Roadsters, etc in one rating as if one item like the CoD mattered because it can be measured for all of them.

The problem here is worse than autos. It is combining multiple factors (forms of distortion) into a single metric just like the problem you are pointing to with autos but worse, making no meaningful statement about what that number means for consumers of that device. See discussion under Emotiva XMC-1 review for what that lack of any real world relevance to measured data means.

The exact source of Amir's ennui is unknown to me. I suspect he suffers from the same frailties of patience like the rest of us, and is left wondering why people expect him to post every combination and permutation of test results when manufacturers don't even list basic specs for their gear. It's like asking Desmond Tutu why he isn't doing more to help the people of Soweto when there are others egregiously violating the most basic tenants of social behaviour.
Frustration more than ennui.
This is a problem we have gone through in almost every job. We scream our heads off with what we know and know to be wrong and the people who can make the change don’t care. The problem isn’t necessarily them, it is how you scream that most of us realize sooner or later. Self-righteous screams don’t necessarily help. It is the form rather than the substance that matters.
WRT your example, it is important to note that consumer needs may vary... by several bits. Somebody who simply wants 16 bits of resolution would be delighted by something capable of 17 bits. Somebody who is trying to keep THD+N below -118 dB across the audio chain (less loudspeakers) might prefer about 20 bits of resolution (provided that their using material that can be exploited to this magnitude).
This is exactly the crux of the point. The type of consumers who resemble the above are exactly the people you would find in a forum like this or other enthusiast forums. They are not a good representation of the broader market which is the one targeted by the manufacturers. All I am saying is converting those numbers into something that an average consumer would understand would serve all consumers equally. No one is proposing hiding any measurement but if a measurement has no real world interpretation then improving a measurement with engineering is not a reasonable thing to expect and so just screaming in the wind that we need better measurements is like saying we need more cowbells.

To equate both DACs (16 bit vs 20 bit capable DACs) as equally excellent would be misleading. It would seem, therefore, that there is some value in establishing a logical cut point for specs... but choosing a perfect one is impossible because "good enough" varies by the user requirement.
Yes and no. If the consumers can be categorized to groups that listen to CD quality or less and groups that listen to audio sources at higher resolution, it is far more useful (than making the distinction between 16 bit and 20bit) to categorize equipment as CD quality or less and further tiers. And this is not a new thing. If you look at the audio driver settings in Windows for example, the nomenclature of CD quality, DVD quality, Studio quality, etc are already in use. Relate it to what people use and need, not some number that would only excite the techies.
I can see why grouping devices by capability improve comprehension... but only to a degree. Anyone wanting to make a determination on the suitability of a device for their particular needs must crunch the data.
BUT, someone credible like Amir crunching the numbers and creating those groupings they can relate to is far superior to throwing those numbers at them or asking them to crunch the data themselves. That is the whole point.

When typical consumers of a NAD, for example, start discussing and saying that their equipment is only good for CD quality sound and not for the Blu Ray Hi Res blah blah audio they were expecting to use it for and start asking NAD about it, it makes the industry marketing arms sit up and listen and have to do something but discussion on it measuring at only 90dB with at most 17 bits dies down quickly anywhere outside a group like this and manufacturers don’t really need to address it.

The quality of what Amir does is in the data, not in the charts.

Quality yes, but value is in relatable interpretation of that data. You can place that burden on consumers which will self select for a bunch of techies who often forget to relate what that means in practice and numbers become the goal rather than the means to something audible. Or you can provide relatable interpretations of it that provides greater value that moves the industry, the same goal all agree on.

With just one small problem to address, some of that data has dubious relatable interpretation and that can be frustrating to the number-heads. :)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
The problem here is worse than autos. It is combining multiple factors (forms of distortion) into a single metric just like the problem you are pointing to with autos but worse, making no meaningful statement about what that number means for consumers of that device. See discussion under Emotiva XMC-1 review for what that lack of any real world relevance to measured data means.

BUT, someone credible like Amir crunching the numbers and creating those groupings they can relate to is far superior to throwing those numbers at them or asking them to crunch the data themselves. That is the whole point.

If the single metric is based on scientifically or mathematically valid principles, then it can be considered "fair" surely?

I think you sometimes get unduly distracted by a single metric, instead of looking at each of its constituent parts. The good thing is that Amir does give everyone access to the measurements for THD, THD+N/SINAD, jitter, effective bit rate (and also, for amps, all those same things in different modes of operation plus effective output RMS at 4 and 8 ohms).

With those measures, you can come to your own determination. Someone with less technical background or understanding can rely on the single metric. You know the one... the one that is the sum of the individual measurements.

Are there two levels of precision? Sure. But Amir isn't hiding any of this from anyone. He's presenting data and a calculation. Decide which one you like, knowing that both will get you to more of less the same place qualitatively.

Trying to pick the fly shit from the pepper misses this key point entirely.

I don't append deeper meaning to the manner in which Amir portrays the data. It serves.

I'm interested in the data and how it is collected. Is it collected using a calibrated measuring device of appropriate resolution? Yes. Are standard measurements used? Yes. Are standard methods of measuring used (CEA etc.)? Yes. Does he appear to know what he's doing? Yes. Does he have a background to support what he's doing? Yes.

All of these things are more important to me than looking for product specific inconsistencies, which may or may not exist. All of these things are more important than trying to decide where the lines of delineation should or could exist between each colour. Such things are, in my view, rather pedantic.

I don't look at the colors or the bins within which a product resides. I look at the data, which is there for all to see.

audimus

If the single metric is based on scientifically or mathematically valid principles, then it can be considered "fair" surely?

I think you sometimes get unduly distracted by a single metric, instead of looking at each of its constituent parts. The good thing is that Amir does give everyone access to the measurements for THD, THD+N/SINAD, jitter, effective bit rate (and also, for amps, all those same things in different modes of operation plus effective output RMS at 4 and 8 ohms).

I think the differentiation between data and its interpretation is a missing piece in all of your responses so far, primarily because you are able to do both in your head perhaps imperceptibly. From that perspective, I have no disagreements with anything you said. The disconnect is whether this site should make valid relatable inferences for the consumers who are not like you or me. And my thesis is that catering to that audience ALSO (not to create a false choice) is more important to influence the industry.

For them, if they see one comparison table between all devices and a bunch of charts, what sticks in their mind is which one is better based on the table not on a technical understanding of all the rest of that data. And that is misleading by the use of that one metric. You put the onus on the reader to not make it so, I think that is asking too much.

Also, validity of that data to relatable perception is not clear. If two units measure the same but one with more distortion components in the audible range than the other, why is that a valid metric to use for recommending? This is the same problem as the 8.5 rating in cars you mentioned.

Are there two levels of precision? Sure.
Not two levels of precision, there is data tabulated and a more relatable colloquial interpretation that is missing. So it isn’t a matter of taking your pick. The latter does not exist and relies on the reader. That self-selects impact to tech-savvy readers and may create misunderstanding for the rest. From a practical perspective, both are needed.

Such things are, in my view, rather pedantic.
I would say such things are actually more practical if we are able to put ourselves in a typical consumer’s shoes the slightest bit.

I think, having diagnosed the disconnect, there isn’t much more to say here for me, so I will disengage in this thread but it has been a pleasure to discuss rationally as always with you even if we disagree.

chook

Forum Donor
Hello @amirm, thank you for the work you are doing here! Looking at the details on NAD website, T777 and T758 have the same "AM230" audio module. Surprised to see such a big difference between the two in SINAD. Do you think T758 you've got could be a bad unit?

Phenolablation

How would the performance of T777 be improved if I fed it through a reasonable DAC, (consider the Sabaj D5), and then used the seven channel pre-outs to power a separate highly respectable multi channel amplifier? If I went through all the hassle of that would it be worth it? Or would the apparent in inadequacy‘s that you exposed in your great review still bleed through into the final product? Thanks

Phenolablation

How would the performance of T777 be improved if I fed it through a reasonable DAC, (consider the Sabaj D5), and then used the seven channel pre-outs to power a separate highly respectable multi channel amplifier? If I went through all the hassle of that would it be worth it? Or would the apparent in inadequacy‘s that you exposed in your great review still bleed through into the final product? Thanks
I would like to add a further questions to consider. If in-fact I went ahead with the above plan would that still provide me true seven channel audio. I only ask because I remember reading somewhere that multichannel receivers, digitally driven, must have dedicated DACs for each of the channels. This make sense as I currently understand it. By running everything through a single two channel DAC, will I not in-fact defeat the entire purpose of this “multi -channel” experience I am supposed to be hearing ? Should I buy seven Sabaj D5s and line em up on my counter?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello @amirm, thank you for the work you are doing here! Looking at the details on NAD website, T777 and T758 have the same "AM230" audio module. Surprised to see such a big difference between the two in SINAD. Do you think T758 you've got could be a bad unit?
The poor performance of T753 is because its amplifier clips earlier and once it does that, it destroys the performance of the DAC. Since the T777 has more power, that happens above the level I measure the DAC so it doesn't impact it as much.

They should have a separate power supply for the DAC to eliminate this problem.

Or alternatively give the option to turn off the amplifiers.

Theriverlethe

The poor performance of T753 is because its amplifier clips earlier and once it does that, it destroys the performance of the DAC. Since the T777 has more power, that happens above the level I measure the DAC so it doesn't impact it as much.

They should have a separate power supply for the DAC to eliminate this problem.

Or alternatively give the option to turn off the amplifiers.

Interesting... The T777 is definitely not twice as powerful as the T758. Did you measure the T758 at -3dB?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting... The T777 is definitely not twice as powerful as the T758. Did you measure the T758 at -3dB?
It didn't need to be twice as powerful. It just needed to not clip when the DAC output reached 2 volts.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

mgood

Thinking about getting an ex-demo T777 v3 for about $1950 (I’m in Norway). Dirac and Bluesound are the big selling points compared to, say, a Denon X6500. I will be running a 5.1.4 system in the future with all 4 ohm speakers (currently 5.1), so I will be putting some strain on the unit. Any reason to get the NAD, except for the mediocre measured performance and it only having 7 channels of amplification built in?

Top Bottom