• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose an AVR?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(and born before 1965)

I only remember "made in Japan" commonly being a negative in the early 1960's. By the 1970's brands like Sony, Toyota, and Nikon changed that around. Then we picked on Taiwan and Hong Kong, then Korea for a short time, then China for a longer time. Now it's Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand. There is always a place where low labor costs sometimes trumps quality.
We used to say just follow shoe manufacturing for a route to lowest labor :).

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Am I better just 'KISS' and buying a really good intergrated amp with an optical in from my Shield? And then just running 2.0 or 2.1?

I assume I need an AVR for things like virtual/phantom centres?

Minefield.

Yamaha R-N800A is one of the few integrated stereo amps with bass management and room eq. I can't vouch for the performance of either. Overall quality is high.

rynberg

Forum Donor
One last go at overcomplicating this before I do as I'm told..

So let's say I have £1000ish to spend on an AVR to run my current gear, which is L&R Kef R3, and a PC-2000 sub. And hopefully in the near future adding a 3rd Kef R3 as a centre.

Am I getting more bang for the buck going for:
  1. Denon X3700/X3800 (~£1000)
  2. Marantz Cinema 70S (£600) + a £400-£600 3 channel power amp (Emotiva BasX A3 / or some Class D amp like Nord NC252)
Even as a former Marantz owner, I would never choose a Marantz over the much cheaper and near identical Denon product. The Cinemas 70S is a far inferior product than the 3700/3800, in terms of audio performance but much more importantly, the EQ functionality.

Separately, the Emotiva products are all very mediocre. It's likely the Denon 3700/3800 will have adequate power with your use of a subwoofer. If you find that you are running out of power, you could add an outboard amp down the road (unlikely).

Fahzz

Forum Donor
So Denon 3700 out of stock - 3800 has a lot of stuff I don't need (four subwoofers???). Anybody have a Denon 2800? Any good 5/7 channel AV preamps that cost less than a gazillion dollars?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
So Denon 3700 out of stock - 3800 has a lot of stuff I don't need (four subwoofers???). Anybody have a Denon 2800? Any good 5/7 channel AV preamps that cost less than a gazillion dollars?

The Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505 has preamplifier outputs for all channels - if you have amplification - and comes with license for Dirac

Adorama in NYC is currently selling the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505 for $649. Perhaps a retailer near you is offering the '505'.

I perceive greater clarity deploying Dirac Live. The Denon AVR-X3800H AVR allows the option of deploying Dirac Live

Amir reviewed and recommends the $20 Audyssey MultEQ Editor app at the link below - he thought it approached the performance of Dirac

The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app is compatible with select Denon AVR's including the AVR-X2800H

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't like the advantages of the 3800, the 2800 is definitely less expensive. Personally I like having a full set of pre-outs (especially if you want it as an AV preamp), four independent subs, and prefer the Audyssey XT32 as well as the Dirac option the 3800 offers.

zgmf_x10a

A 5/7 channel preamp will cost WAY more than the 3800 while having less features. Personally unless you want to use active speakers or listen loud even the 1700/1800 are adequate

Top Bottom