• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand your reasons for not having DSD on your product. However, sometimes the best available version of an album is available on DSD. I have some DSD files and think they sound better when not converted to PCM. To me, any transcoding only makes the quality worse. And I do listen to DSD at home. But DSD decoding is not absolutely necessary for portable use.

Sure, but as pretty much all DSD recordings have been converted to PCM and back for processing, why not do it one more time?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We should remember that the 1-bit DSD format has a signal-to noise ratio of only 6 dB, but thanks to the noise shaping the noise gets pushed up to inaudible frequencies.

Bronco

So many portable devices lack serious PEQ, and personally, when I bought an RME DAC, one of the deciding factors that helped my decision was it's inclusion of something like the 5 band PEQ (wish it was 10, but you can't have it all).

The EQ issue mostly is found on iPhones where no serious EQ apps exist that I know of.

Have you tried the Neutron app for the iPhone?

I’ll leave it to others more knowledgeable than myself to assess how it might stack up compared to the built in equalizer of the RME DAC, but IIRC, the Neutron PEQ can be expanded up to 20 bands.

Andy79

Hi,
Can the E1DA be ordered from Europe, or other site than Aliexpress? For some reason it doesn't work for me.
Thanks

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Have you tried the Neutron app for the iPhone?

I’ll leave it to others more knowledgeable than myself to assess how it might stack up compared to the built in equalizer of the RME DAC, but IIRC, the Neutron PEQ can be expanded up to 20 bands.

Yes, Neutron all the way. And it has 30 band parametric EQ. Plus tons of other useful features. Available on Android and iOS. I use it personally for listening to music on iPad and iPhone, but also as reference to access our interfaces in Class Compliant mode. Neutron easily plays 768 kHz and DSD256 from my gadgets to ADI-2 Pro and DAC...

maty

Major Contributor
Well, seems I finished all that I can on that 9038D proto PCB and it's time order next iteration, I hope the last one. I have to add 4th operating mode into MCU named "Home DAC", where ES9038Q2M will be configured similar to "Performance" mode but with THD optimization for 10Kohm load...

If in addition the predominant H2 mode were at -73 dB, with H3 15 dB below at least and nothing more, both in the headphone output and in HomeDAC you would have a winner!

hq5

Hi

Anyone can tell me if Huawei P30 Pro need Y-splitter+charger to use E1DA ?
Thanks

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Just a thought and suggestion: @IVX

A version that has a battery that lasts a good 10~12 hours. With a separate charging port from the USB data port. with a battery bypass switch for desktop / laptop use. No other additional features needed from the original 9038S except perhaps the battery bypass switch and maybe battery charging status.

It will be appealing for mobile users especially if its kept as slim as the 9038S.

Last edited:

s_beck

Just got my 9038S and have done some listening on my 400i's.

I enjoy hifi listening and the audiophile hobby, but am still learning how to pick up on subtle changes b/w amps and dacs.
That said, going from the stock dongle for my pixel 3 to the 9038S is a HUGE, noticeable upgrade (obviously I suppose).
This thing sounds great - clarity and instrument separation are the most obvious changes to my ears, not to mention that it's much easier for the 9038S to drive the 400is than the stock dongle...
The 400is are the only headphone I have the cable for right now, but I have Theiaudio Phantoms and tin P1s on the way that I'm excited to listen to through this little guy. I also plan on making a balanced cable for my 6XX's sometime soon.

One thing to note (maybe already addressed by Ivan in this thread, I didn't see) - on this version, I need a OTG Y-splitter for the 9038S to work on my pixel 3. That is:
9038S -> USB type C -> USB type-A -> ((USB type A -> battery bank)+(USB type C -> phone)
Hopefully that makes sense...
Perhaps Ivan can comment on this, but I need the battery bank connected at first for anything to work, but only for ~5-10 seconds, then I can unplug it and it works fine without it. If I unplug it too soon, the 9038S turns off.

Anyway, the sound quality upgrade and convenience of this thing are well worth this minor inconvenience. I'm sure it will be sorted out in future iterations.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps Ivan can comment on this, but I need the battery bank connected at first for anything to work, but only for ~5-10 seconds, then I can unplug it and it works fine without it. If I unplug it too soon, the 9038S turns off.
He commented on how the start-up current is a problem with phones. So your experience matches his explanation. I think he is working on a soft-start for his next project.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Hi, I working on 3.5mm jack DAC #9038D(and 9038S gen 2 as well) DAC in the same case where the soft-start issue solved. It may smoothly start with Android or iOS device without external power but.. due to quite high output power, my iPad Air2 switching off its USB power as soon I increase player's volume. My Android behaves even worse, it can reset itself in case if its USB consumption too much. Hence, the problem with an external power source is not solvable principal, without Li-battery inside of DAC. Yesterday I googled for "USB DAC requires camera adapter" and the first what was found is dragonfly cobalt! Even such a tiny power DAC requires the Y-splitter(that the "camera adapter" is but from Apple and 10x more expensive). What we can expect from 10-20x more powerful 9038S/D? BTW, I prepared the additional operating mode for 9038D/S_gen2 called "IEM" mode, when the output power will be limited at -15dbfs for safe operation with insane low IEMs up to 4ohm(200mW@4ohm THD<.0015%).

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, I working on 3.5mm jack DAC #9038D(and 9038S gen 2 as well) DAC in the same case where the soft-start issue solved. It may smoothly start with Android or iOS device without external power but.. due to quite high output power, my iPad Air2 switching off its USB power as soon I increase player's volume. My Android behaves even worse, it can reset itself in case if its USB consumption too much. Hence, the problem with an external power source is not solvable principal, without Li-battery inside of DAC. Yesterday I googled for "USB DAC requires camera adapter" and the first what was found is dragonfly cobalt! Even such a tiny power DAC requires the Y-splitter(that the "camera adapter" is but from Apple and 10x more expensive). What we can expect from 10-20x more powerful 9038S/D? BTW, I prepared the additional operating mode for 9038D/S_gen2 called "IEM" mode, when the output power will be limited at -15dbfs for safe operation with insane low IEMs up to 4ohm(200mW@4ohm THD<.0015%).
Awesome work, man.

Top Bottom