• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That makes sense... at least it should be clear to readers that this isn't your run of the mill 3.5mm TRS jack that is used. It may give people the wrong idea of trying 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapters and secretly get away with it somewhow. :D

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
That makes sense... at least it should be clear to readers that this isn't your run of the mill 3.5mm TRS jack that is used. It may give people the wrong idea of trying 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapters and secretly get away with it somewhow. :D
So this is not good to use :

Attachments

• xlr to jack.png
    xlr to jack.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 150

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No its not... pin 2 and 4 are active channels (well.. not in the Benchmark HPA4) that have a different signal on it (stereo signal, just inverted).
This is like connecting the L and R channel of a normal amplifier and trying to get a mono signal this way.

When the amp in question has a 33 or higher output resistance it is not a real problem to do this (except stereo image will be compromised) but when the output resistance is very low (as it the case with allmost all 2.5mm TRRS outputs) then the Left channel signals that differ from the Right channel are basically shorted by the other signal.
Stereo signals thus will pump maximum output currents in their own outputs resulting in high temperatures and current draw.
Not a good thing and may lead to failure or the USB bus power being loaded too much.

Rollaven

Peter Pan

LH Labs uses it as well but I don't even know if they're in business anymore. Still rare though.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I working on 3.5mm jack DAC #9038D(and 9038S gen 2 as well) DAC in the same case where the soft-start issue solved. It may smoothly start with Android or iOS device without external power but.. due to quite high output power, my iPad Air2 switching off its USB power as soon I increase player's volume. My Android behaves even worse, it can reset itself in case if its USB consumption too much. Hence, the problem with an external power source is not solvable principal, without Li-battery inside of DAC. Yesterday I googled for "USB DAC requires camera adapter" and the first what was found is dragonfly cobalt! Even such a tiny power DAC requires the Y-splitter(that the "camera adapter" is but from Apple and 10x more expensive). What we can expect from 10-20x more powerful 9038S/D? BTW, I prepared the additional operating mode for 9038D/S_gen2 called "IEM" mode, when the output power will be limited at -15dbfs for safe operation with insane low IEMs up to 4ohm(200mW@4ohm THD<.0015%).
What is holding you back putting a small battery in the case too? If it can solve this problem by acting as a buffer, it would be worthwhile I think :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
LH Labs uses it as well but I don't even know if they're in business anymore. Still rare though.

3.5mm TRRS = L+, R+, L-, R- which differs from A&K 3.5mm TRRS = R-, R+, L+, L- so when using a TRRS headphone plug it is important to know what source it was for.
The A&K pinning is similar to the 2.5mm TRRS = R-, R+, L+, L- so 1:1 conversion with A&K

Pono player used 2x 3.5mm TRS +, -, GND for each channel one TRS.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What is holding you back putting a small battery in the case too? If it can solve this problem by acting as a buffer, it would be worthwhile I think :)

It would not only be a battery but also BMS and regulator/5V conversion so would take up space, would have to be charged first and longevity of small Li batteries is not that great and it would not be as small anymore.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
solderdude
exactly, and let me repeat, I did that by myself and for myself. I needed small, powerful and precise DAC, I got it. Now the DAC starts with everything, even iPad ok. 9038D Idle power consumption 70mA(cobalt 70mA as well but 20x less max output power). I don't need a battery at all.

Senegalas

What kind of sound difference do you get between this and poweramp V2? I would be driving a planar headphone which is not hard to drive.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What kind of sound difference do you get between this and poweramp V2? I would be driving a planar headphone which is not hard to drive.
I call powerdac bullshit. Signal is signal, if the sound is different, there must be some measurements that are worse on one of them. As tested, 9038S is way better performer. There are other tests like imd, multitone which are not tested on powerdac But it suspect the "detail" is just high frequency distortions. Null test may also show the cumulative errors.
sorry IVX

Senegalas

I call powerdac bullshit. Signal is signal, if the sound is different, there must be some measurements that are worse on one of them. As tested, 9038S is way better performer. There are other tests like imd, multitone which are not tested on powerdac But it suspect the "detail" is just high frequency distortions. Null test may also show the cumulative errors.
sorry IVX
Alright thanks I will get 9038 then

Senegalas

Also could someone explain me performance mode because I can't really understand the description

Senegalas

Also I wonder does this benefit if you plug it into USB 3.0 as usb 300 can deliver 900mW compared to USB 2.0 500mW. Also what kind of cable would it be best to use. I am thinking using my phones charging cable which supports quick charge and all that stuff

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The powerdac 8039S has a mode where the signal is 'f-ed up' on purpose. In that mode you get 2nd harmonics added on purpose.
The powerDAC, when using the app, gives have 'basic tone control' functionality and other effects.
That will work with any USB source and program. Most software players have their own tone control though.
Another feature is 'loudness control' (not loudness war setting) but varying bass levels depending on volume setting.
The 'added value' is in the added 2nd harm. distortion IF you prefer that alteration of the sound.
It also has 7 PEQ filters so you can correct a headphone (when you know how to do this)
9038 is much smaller in size though.

IVX seems to prefer the distortion mode.

Do note that PowerDAC and the early 9038 models require extra power to start with certain phones. The newer 9038S revision has a slow start.

USB3 won't deliver more power in the headphones as it is dictated by the power supply voltage and headphone impedance.

So your choice may have to depend on functionality here.

Last edited:

Senegalas

The powerdac has a mode where the signal is 'f-ed up' on purpose. In that mode you get substantial 2nd harmonics added on purpose.
Also, when using the app you have 'basic tone control' functionality.
That will work with any USB source and program. Most software players have their own tone control though.
Another feature is 'loudness control' (not loudness war setting) but varying bass levels depending on volume setting.
The 'added value' is in the added 2nd harm. distortion IF you prefer that alteration of the sound.
It also has 7 PEQ filters so you can correct a headphone (when you know how to do this)
9038 is much smaller in size though.

IVX seems to prefer the distortion mode. Not possible in the 9038 though.
Powerdac can also be set to 'performance mode' in which case it is like the 9038.

Do note that PowerDAC and the early 9038 models require extra power to start with certain phones. The newer revision has a slow start.

USB3 won't deliver more power in the headphones as it is dictated by the power supply voltage and headphone impedance.

So your choice may have to depend on functionality here.
Well yeah but if the amp can take more power the power output (max) should be higher too.

Top Bottom