• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

RosalieTheDog

Yes, I know. The Qobuz app seems to show the actual quality of the stream to CCA, so it was my assumption too that ist's only limited to 96/24, which isn't a big deal for me. I was just confused reading through this discussion here, as it seemed to be unclear whether it's bit-perfect and Amir's conclusion (No. 3 + 4) only applies to Roon and similar solutions but maybe not for the original implementations within the Qobuz-App. So I guess using the Google Cast solution within the Qobuz-App ist bit-perfect too.

This leads me to the question.... Why it doesn't everyone Just use this little inexpensive dongle....? (Yes, I know it's no longer available.).

I agree. I played around with a raspberry solution, but I came back to this. Nothing beats the CC in ease-of-use, integration with ALL apps (apart from Tidal / Qobuz, I listen to online radio apps quite often, they all support the Chromecast protocol), and reliability. This thing is always connected to the Wifi, I can unplug everything and the modem when I go on holiday, come back, it works without a problem.

morillon

Major Contributor
if i don't talk nonsense
just optic not coaxial
max 96k
just chromecast
analogique output correct but modest

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

morillon

Major Contributor
sure...
like other applications managing the chromecast... bubble hificast etc

not a judgment on my part just facts
( and no longer supported by google...)

Last edited:

nerone

I can't understand why Tidal with Chromecast audio no longer goes beyond 44.1 compared to Mconnect which reaches 88 and UAPP at 96

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't understand why Tidal with Chromecast audio no longer goes beyond 44.1 compared to Mconnect which reaches 88 and UAPP at 96
Perhaps because it doesn't matter (as in doesn't make an audible difference)?

ah-ra

Isn't anything above 44.1 on tidal MQA....? I guess that's the reason. The CCA doesn't support passing this Format through. Would make Sense, as also Not every DAC supports it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't anything above 44.1 on tidal MQA....? I guess that's the reason. The CCA doesn't support passing this Format through. Would make Sense, as also Not every DAC supports it.
Wasn't one of the sales arguments for MQA that it would be downwards compatible - that you would be able to play it without the magic folding software (of course losing any supposed aural benefit)?

dweekie

Because it is too cheap, looks like a toy and brings no audiophile bragging rights. :)
Also expensive now and could stop functioning any moment. It's surprising this thing still works (I hope I didn't just jinx it). WiiM Mini and Pro seem like much better options to recommend.

ah-ra

I agree. I played around with a raspberry solution, but I came back to this. Nothing beats the CC in ease-of-use, integration with ALL apps (apart from Tidal / Qobuz, I listen to online radio apps quite often, they all support the Chromecast protocol), and reliability. This thing is always connected to the Wifi, I can unplug everything and the modem when I go on holiday, come back, it works without a problem.
Exactly my thinking....

ah-ra

Also expensive now and could stop functioning any moment. It's surprising this thing still works (I hope I didn't just jinx it). WiiM Mini and Pro seem like much better options to recommend.
I have four of those CCA since years! None of them ever failed...

ah-ra

Wasn't one of the sales arguments for MQA that it would be downwards compatible - that you would be able to play it without the magic folding software (of course losing any supposed aural benefit)?
Yeah, but I don't know if MQA doesn't play at all. I guess it's just not hi-res...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Casting from a streaming service app means it points Chromecast to the streaming services server, there is nothing to decode mqa as CCA doesn't support mqa. The phone isn't in the chain.

I suspect mconnect app is doing the decode on your phone then beaming to the Chromecast device, similar to how it works with roon. That's how uapp does it too.

dweekie

I have four of those CCA since years! None of them ever failed...
I meant product functionality being cut off by Google. They've kept the original Chromecast supported forever so far, but they've also cut services/products in the past with little reason or warning.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK... really? Via toslink? I wonder, If that's actually possible?
Valid question. Now that I stop to recall, it was the tweeter on my beloved Thiel 3.6 it took. I turned it on and heard a high squeal, and then nothing. The CA was inoperable afterwards. The DAC failed later, I think, but within a month or two. That was a bad year for my system (2018).

Silver lining: I went speaker shopping for the first time in 24 years, found all the info on line (I had never heard of Toole, and wasn't aware of blind tests after Stereo Review in 1987) and discovered ASL.

vert

Forum Donor
I bought one in the period they were being discontinued and only recently did I begin to use it regularly. From my phone I can use USB Audio Player Player Pro, applying PEQ for my speakers. FLAC files play at own resolution (44 mostly), radio streams at 48. From my PC, it's often not detected by Chrome, I don't know why. But for $30? Great device. There is no competition for the price. And too much of the competition is way overpriced IMO.

FWIW, I read in an article from about 4 months ago that a mkII version is rumored to be in the works, which would be great.

Yesterday I set up a DVD player to work through WiFi as an UpnP device into the coax in of my amp to see if that could work as an alternative if the CCA breaks down, especially I thought maybe that could be a way for hirez radio streams to play at native rates. Well the sound got through but slowed down to about 80% speed. UpnP protocol is new to me and I'll have to investigate that more...

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, I know. The Qobuz app seems to show the actual quality of the stream to CCA, so it was my assumption too that ist's only limited to 96/24, which isn't a big deal for me. I was just confused reading through this discussion here, as it seemed to be unclear whether it's bit-perfect and Amir's conclusion (No. 3 + 4) only applies to Roon and similar solutions but maybe not for the original implementations within the Qobuz-App. So I guess using the Google Cast solution within the Qobuz-App ist bit-perfect too.

This leads me to the question.... Why it doesn't everyone Just use this little inexpensive dongle....? (Yes, I know it's no longer available.).

Lack of gapless playback for some.

Top Bottom