• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Are there any measurements of analog output? Haven't found any, and I wonder if it's worth getting a D50 just to get some improvement.

mccririck

Are there any measurements of analog output? Haven't found any, and I wonder if it's worth getting a D50 just to get some improvement.

I have two Chromecast Audio. One I use with a DAC and the other I use on its own and I think it still sounds pretty good on its own. would be interesting to see measurements, though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two Chromecast Audio. One I use with a DAC and the other I use on its own and I think it still sounds pretty good on its own. would be interesting to see measurements, though.

File under "good enough" .

EDIT- @BDWoody beat me to it. Still "good enough".

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you use BubbleUPNP instead of Roon will it be bit-perfect then?
BubbleUPnP is bit-perfect:
CCA Toslink out 16_44.png CCA Toslink out 24_44.png
CCA Toslink out 16_48.png CCA Toslink out 24_48.png
CCA Toslink out 16_96.png CCA Toslink out 24_96.png

munin

Hello there,
It's my first post out there after reading a lot of your reviews.

To explain my need, in short i want an easy audio streamer with th epossibility of playing youtube content on wifi straght from youtube on chrome or from my phone. I guess it will work, but will the sound be as good as possible?
If I understand the streaming from google chrome is not super good, is it the same for playing youtube from it? What about the youtube app on phone?

Thank you in advance

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello there,

To explain my need, in short i want an easy audio streamer with th epossibility of playing youtube content on wifi straght from youtube on chrome or from my phone. I guess it will work, but will the sound be as good as possible?
If I understand the streaming from google chrome is not super good, is it the same for playing youtube from it? What about the youtube app on phone?

Thank you in advance
Do you use apple devices? Or windows/android?

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello there,

Thank you in advance
1. YouTube (Chrome Browser) on PC --> Chromecast Audio protocol is a workable solution but the browser messes up the signal, chops and reconstructs it into a 48kHz stream
2. You can do it from an Android phone by sending all of the audio via Chromecast Audio protocol (Again, it's not bit perfect, everything gets sent at 48kHz)

Any streamer with Chromecast functionality built would work as a renderer.

Tenfilip

Hello there,

Thank you in advance
Here is what I used for this particular case you mentioned:

1/ Get chromecast with video function (I used the basic one) and HDMI output (so the most basic Chromecast should do)
2/ Get an HDMI extractor, that extracts audio via optical signal (and optionaly also via minijack using it's internal DAC, likely crap)
3/ Use optical to get the audio to DAC which has optical in (likely you could use coaxial)

You can know listen to audio from yt/netflix etc on your DAC.

Other setup:

4/ use set top box with option to connect USB DAC and casting to it
5/ connect USB DAC to it.

I used Shield with USB DAC and worked ok BUT some software wont cast to it and it cant be added to group.
I don't know measurements/codecs/bitrate details, I just know it works casue I used it. If you want to listen to music from youtube (not YT music), it's already medium quality at most.

munin

1. YouTube (Chrome Browser) on PC --> Chromecast Audio protocol is a workable solution but the browser messes up the signal, chops and reconstructs it into a 48kHz stream
2. You can do it from an Android phone by sending all of the audio via Chromecast Audio protocol (Again, it's not bit perfect, everything gets sent at 48kHz)

Any streamer with Chromecast functionality built would work as a renderer.
Thanks for this answer! Do you have any streamer on a cheap in mind? Here in France Chromcast Audio are expensive on second hand market. Like Around 60€, so twice the price when it was new, I find it a bit too much for a device wich is no longer supported.

munin

Here is what I used for this particular case you mentioned:

1/ Get chromecast with video function (I used the basic one) and HDMI output (so the most basic Chromecast should do)
2/ Get an HDMI extractor, that extracts audio via optical signal (and optionaly also via minijack using it's internal DAC, likely crap)
3/ Use optical to get the audio to DAC which has optical in (likely you could use coaxial)

You can know listen to audio from yt/netflix etc on your DAC.

Other setup:

4/ use set top box with option to connect USB DAC and casting to it
5/ connect USB DAC to it.

I used Shield with USB DAC and worked ok BUT some software wont cast to it and it cant be added to group.
I don't know measurements/codecs/bitrate details, I just know it works casue I used it. If you want to listen to music from youtube (not YT music), it's already medium quality at most.
I will take a look at this option. I am not affraid of playing around with all of that, but looking at it's quite a lot of things to do just to listen to some music from youtube.

munin

In addition to that I guess the regular 44hz / 16 bit of regular audio CD will do for me.

After trying this kind of test: http://abx.digitalfeed.net/

As I am not able to make difference between hires and high MP3. I don't care too much anymore of the format of audio as long it's 320kbit MP3 minimum.

Tenfilip

I will take a look at this option. I am not affraid of playing around with all of that, but looking at it's quite a lot of things to do just to listen to some music from youtube.
Get a smartphone and connect it through cable/bt :) It's a bit, really depends on your needs. Still, worked well for me for many years.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chrome browser casting has always seemed problematic to me, but it's probably the best windows solution. Apple Airplay is pretty solid, but that's not an option for you.

munin

Ok, thank you. I will see then. I will wait to find a goor oppurtutny on a Chromcast Audio and we will see. If something I have an unused DAC laying around somewhere. I will ran some test to try what's fit to my hears the best. Again thanks to you.

VJK_out

Hi everyone!

I have a Genelec 2.1 setup: F Two as a sub (it has optical in) and 2x G Three. I am using a optical hub (active) where all my sources go and from there its hooked to F Two. Chromecast Audio is also hooked into the hub. I stream from my PC and sometimes from my Android phone (spotify). From PC I stream mostly from Spotify but also with VLC media player (local audio files) which seems to work nicely with CCA. Is there any potential problems with this setup? I would gladly hear!

Top Bottom