• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

envydd

Forum Donor
Nuprime tend to be overpriced for what they actually deliver. Unless it has some functionality you can't find elsewhere I'd look to known quantities.
Nuprime doesn’t measure well and seems expensive but their integrated offerings are ok given that they design their own A+D and upsamplers. The integrated market outside nuprime is also very overpriced!

Jimbob54

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Roon with a dozen different CCAs playing Qobuz content all the time, sometimes all perfectly synchronized at up to 96/24. I'd be willing to bet the problem is spotty WiFi. I have an Orbi mesh system with really rock solid connections.
Yes, the CCA really doesn't like staying connected in less than good WiFi spots. That it is usually stuck behind racks /kit and in room corners doesn't help.

RosalieTheDog

Still rocking a CCA, mostly from Tidal app for Android. It works like a charm.

However, with all the working at home of these months I've been also sending music from the Tidal and Qobuz apps on my windows PCs. For some reason, CCA is very often not recognized by those windows apps (on the same wifi netwerk as Android phone). Anyone else with this experience?

Undefinition

Still rocking a CCA, mostly from Tidal app for Android. It works like a charm.

However, with all the working at home of these months I've been also sending music from the Tidal and Qobuz apps on my windows PCs. For some reason, CCA is very often not recognized by those windows apps (on the same wifi netwerk as Android phone). Anyone else with this experience?
Yes, sadly, as time goes on, I'm noticing less and less apps recognizing the ChromeCast audios in my house. The regular ChromeCasts always show up, though.

So it goes.

Taddpole

Yes, sadly, as time goes on, I'm noticing less and less apps recognizing the ChromeCast audios in my house. The regular ChromeCasts always show up, though.

So it goes.
I've not had this with any apps I've used so far

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So it goes.
I don’t have that problem, but I do have an issue with CC, CC Audio, and even Google Max/Home endpoints disappearing and reappearing (within the context of mesh wifi that is stable for everything else).

mccririck

I've used Bubble uPnP for years with my CCA supplying a Chord Mojo - is that still a good app to use for bit-perfect performance?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've used Bubble uPnP for years with my CCA supplying a Chord Mojo - is that still a good app to use for bit-perfect performance?
Ain't broke and keeps getting better IMHO. I love the new Audio Cast feature though it will down sample high rez to 16/44.1.

MrOtto

When casting to Chromecast, the Tidal and Chromecast volume controls are tied together and don't operate independently. Chromecast pulls the stream directly from the Tidal server, and volume in the Tidal app is like a remote control of the Chromecast.

When using Chromecast Audio's optical output (connected to an external DAC), set volume on the Tidal app and Google Home app to maximum, to best preserve the digital stream sent to your DAC. Then control the volume using only your amplifier.

If connecting Chromecast Audio's analog output directly to an amplifier, there is a possibility that the output of the Chromecast may clip during loud passages with the volume turned up. Set the Chromecast volume to a level somewhere in the middle where you can get a wide volume range using your amplifier's volume control. Basically set the Chromecast volume so that its output is approximately like a line level signal expected by the amplifier.
Any one else thinking 0dbfs volume from toslink CCA to DAC (for me Topping E30) is very loud input volume? I can't turn my amp higher than 25%, resulting in very high listening voulme, I also have to turn volume up when using other sources, because the volume is too low, then when I use the CCA again, volume is extremely loud. For me 50-75%% CCA volume is more in sync with outer input sources.

Taddpole

Any one else thinking 0dbfs volume from toslink CCA to DAC (for me Topping E30) is very loud input volume? I can't turn my amp higher than 25%, resulting in very high listening voulme, I also have to turn volume up when using other sources, because the volume is too low, then when I use the CCA again, volume is extremely loud. For me 50-75%% CCA volume is more in sync with outer input sources.
Better to be too loud than not loud enough?

SMc

I use the CCA analog output connected an amp with a JDS Labs OL Switcher to control volume. Yes, that volume control is set rather low but the same setting works for the full output of the other sources, a Squeezebox Touch and a disc player. I guess if I wanted to turn the volume knob higher I could change to the lower output level but then the other sources would be too loud.

Enough about me, your problem is the Topping DAC output level. Why is it so much louder than the other sources? Do they have variable outputs? Or are they digital sources connected to the Topping? Is it an integrated amp? Or a receiver which can change input levels?

I assume the E30 fixed level output is max volume. If you really want to use more amp volume knob, try reducing the level in the DAC preamp mode instead of the CCA to match the other sources. I can't promise it will sound better as such but it should have a better chip for volume.

Top Bottom