• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Audio-gd R2R11 DAC & Amp

solderdude

Major Contributor
Those Topping are totally crap, there's smth wrong or we are measuring the wrong things, I said it a year ago..
What should we be measuring then ?
Please enlighten us.

consider the 'smth' might be your perception... and this seems to have been going on for about at least a year. ;)

amorr01

Test frequencies represent just a minute way of evaluating the musicality of a product. The review here is very unhelpful. Very little is mentioned about the sound in this review which is what matters in the end, and not sterile frequency tests. Listening is, in my view, the best way to evaluate a product if the aim is to determine how good the sound is. This should includes coverage of how close the sound is to the instruments being played, and not just emphasising wavy frequencies.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Test frequencies represent just a minute way of evaluating the musicality of a product. The review here is very unhelpful. Very little is mentioned about the sound in this review which is what matters in the end, and not sterile frequency tests. Listening is, in my view, the best way to evaluate a product if the aim is to determine how good the sound is. This should includes coverage of how close the sound is to the instruments being played, and not just emphasising wavy frequencies.

If it can't do the easy wavy frequencies well, why should it be expected to get the hard stuff right?

Veri

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
These measurements are abysmal. Kingwa's no feedback output stage is an engineering disaster. You can't try and disregard that by saying 'but it sounds fine'... it's honestly a disaster.

Wavy frequencies?:D:D, so what is sound?

While I agree, "how it sounds", is valuable in reviewing equipment, that's not the basis of this forum. Best way to counter any review on a open forum is to buy the device listen to it, compare it to other gear you own, and post your a/b testing results.

You can't combat data, with your subjective opinion. Yes I have owned a few devices from this manufacturer, and they sound fine.

Amir, thank you very much for this and all your work, what type of conection have you tested it on? I have myself an R2R-11 combo and form my experience I can say that the clocked jitter spikes, the high noise flor are both present and audible when conected bia USB rendering the unit unusable, going the optical toslink way improved the output by miles, I could not say how big of an improvement in absolute terms will that be as I dont have any means to make measurments, but via usb it's not usable, and toslink is fine and enjoyable.

Right now my two dac/amp combos are, topping dx3 pro and audio-gd r2r 11, noticeable aubible diferences in character, dx3 sounds sterile in comparison, extremely clean tho, r2r is noisier but fuller to me, so I might ofend everybody, but thats my 2 grains of salt. =)
Cheers form the very south of the world.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, thank you very much for this and all your work, what type of conection have you tested it on? I have myself an R2R-11 combo and form my experience I can say that the clocked jitter spikes, the high noise flor are both present and audible when conected bia USB rendering the unit unusable, going the optical toslink way improved the output by miles, I could not say how big of an improvement in absolute terms will that be as I dont have any means to make measurments, but via usb it's not usable, and toslink is fine and enjoyable.
My pleasure. As I note in the review, I started with USB but due to glitches, switched to S/PDIF after the dashboard test for the other measurements. Good to hear that you heard the same thing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Test frequencies represent just a minute way of evaluating the musicality of a product. The review here is very unhelpful. Very little is mentioned about the sound in this review which is what matters in the end, and not sterile frequency tests. Listening is, in my view, the best way to evaluate a product if the aim is to determine how good the sound is.
The review included a listening section with music. Did you not read that?

This should includes coverage of how close the sound is to the instruments being played, and not just emphasising wavy frequencies.
But what if I told you all that and even more. How would you know what I am telling you is correct? See the problem with anecdotal reports like that?

Top Bottom