• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes I have. I like and agree with a lot of stuff here, however there is a lot of evidence what I am saying is true as well. This is not the only forum or group I learn from.

However, would you say the Aiyima A07 sounds the same as a McIntosh? Just a simple yes or no.
Please provide the data for this "evidence" - I'd like to see some statistics and analysis. Anything else is just opinion which has no objective value.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the la 90 discrete drive these speakers ?
Revel suggests 50-120 watts on these. So you'd be on the lower end. These also have a moderately challenging impedance curve so something with some extra current capability would be a good idea. The LA 90 would probably do it, but like MediumRare said okay in a small room, in a bigger room maybe marginal. The LA 90 is 40 watts into 8 ohms and 70 into 4 ohms. If you already have one, you can give it a try and see for yourself. A bridged pair would do the job, but then you are in a price range with lots of options.

Pudik

I am not clear on your request. Rescan of what? An EQ? What good would that do other than show the simple effect of the EQ?
Thank you, Amir for the analysis. I wonder what could happen if distortions were measured at a harmonic where 2 or 3 fundamentals meet. For example, you have a superposition of the fundamentals in a chord.

Example: A flat 51.9Hz, C 61.7Hz, and E flat 38.9Hz from the first or second bass octave (depending on whether one is counting from octave 0) or mid bass, the fundamentals that are one octave higher. All three meet on the C in the fifth octave, that is, 987.8 Hz. When music is played on any of my systems, there's high level resonance in my room. However, the resonance is as pronounced in my 4 good headphones as well.

Any comment would be highly appreciated. P.

Ngower

How would folks say these speakers fare with a 70wpc into 8 amp? Seems to be on the lower side of their recommended power range.

Narnian

How would folks say these speakers fare with a 70wpc into 8 amp? Seems to be on the lower side of their recommended power range.
It depends a lot on how loud you like to listen to music, will you have a powered sub for the low bass, what is the handling characteristics of the amp. The odds are 70WPC should be more than adequate.

I have an Arcam SA20 @ 90WPC and have tested the speakers on an 80WPC Cambridge CX81, a 75WPC Marantz NR1200 @ 75WPC and for grins, an Aiyima A07 amp (50ish WPC) and there was not any substantial difference as to volume ability. I likes the Arcam sound the best but I attribute that to their Class G amp design.

Do you have a specific amp in mind?

Ngower

It depends a lot on how loud you like to listen to music, will you have a powered sub for the low bass, what is the handling characteristics of the amp. The odds are 70WPC should be more than adequate.

I have an Arcam SA20 @ 90WPC and have tested the speakers on an 80WPC Cambridge CX81, a 75WPC Marantz NR1200 @ 75WPC and for grins, an Aiyima A07 amp (50ish WPC) and there was not any substantial difference as to volume ability. I likes the Arcam sound the best but I attribute that to their Class G amp design.

Do you have a specific amp in mind?
No subs and no plans for one, listening in the 60-70db range. I have the Denon PMA1700NE.

street19

IMG_4196.JPG

Bump... another happy Revel M105 customer here. Dont mind the denon AVR with the stickers still on... That got returned when I learned about FIR filter generation & convolution with Audiolense and HLC ;)

Falco

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of M105s or M106s in very good used condition. I would be driving these with a Peachtree Audio decco65. Currently I have Q acoustics 2020s connected to this amplifier.

Would a pair of M105s or M106s be a sensible upgrade to the 2020s, and would there be a big (audible) difference between the M105s and the M106s?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of M105s or M106s in very good used condition. I would be driving these with a Peachtree Audio decco65. Currently I have Q acoustics 2020s connected to this amplifier.

Would a pair of M105s or M106s be a sensible upgrade to the 2020s, and would there be a big (audible) difference between the M105s and the M106s?
Yes, there would be a big difference upgrading to either the M105s or the M106s. Your choice between the two of those in my opinion is based on the size of your room and how close you will be to the speakers. The 105s are also quite a bit smaller, but there is only a few hertz difference in the bottom end. I have three sets of the M105s, and I actually plugged the ports (with the proper included foam plugs) because I have to place them only a few inches from the wall and there was too much bass!

Falco

Forum Donor
Yes, there would be a big difference upgrading to either the M105s or the M106s. Your choice between the two of those in my opinion is based on the size of your room and how close you will be to the speakers. The 105s are also quite a bit smaller, but there is only a few hertz difference in the bottom end. I have three sets of the M105s, and I actually plugged the ports (with the proper included foam plugs) because I have to place them only a few inches from the wall and there was too much bass!
Many thanks for your fast response!

My living room is about 30-35 m2 and when on the couch I would be 2,5-3 m from the speakers. I believe the M105s would be sufficient as I would not play music extremely loud anyway.

Elkerton

I do not know the Q Acoustics, but own M105s and use them in a room that is roughly 7x4m and sit about 2.5m away. My audiophile friends are amazed by them as they are (they tend to make even really old mono recordings as listenable as possible), but I generally pair them with subs at mid points on opposite walls for my organ music and a wee bit of fill on most other program material. As one friend said, "They're Keepers."

Falco

Forum Donor
Picked up my M105s today. The former owner was nice enough to let me come by to test the speakers with my own setup (Peachtree Audio decco65 amplifier, SMSL SU-1 dac, RPi 4 with moOde OS). Brilliant sound, way more detail and lows compared to my old Q Acoustics 2020!

The seller also still had the M106s available so he hooked them up to test with my setup as well. Was also quite nice and almost temped to buy those but in the end went for the smaller M105s as they fit our living room and the audio/TV cabinet better.

Top Bottom