• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
This is ASR where speculation doesn't count for much.

Nothing in the Revel published SW specs that would make one assume they would outperform a Rhythmik sub. Quite the contrary in fact.
My Rythmic distorts about same as all the others. I turned it off.

iNetRunner

I was looking back at Amir's distortion figures of Revels. High end speakers vanishing low and low end speakers real good. I suspect measurements of Revel subs might beat the internet wonders significantly.
Don’t know about Revel subwoofers. But their [LINK=“https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265B1102WA/Revel-Performa3-B110v2-High-Gloss-Walnut.html”]single customer review[/LINK] on Crutchfield’s website is a one star review.

The above mentioned JL Audio definitely is not an “internet wonder” company, but a dedicated subwoofer manufacturer. And I certainly like my JL Audio e112.

But you do have to pay a premium over the “internet wonder” manufacturers (Rythmik Audio, HSU Research, PowerSoundAudio’. Though, that wouldn’t be issue if you were planning on going with Revel subs (about equal prices compared to JL Audio’s two lower series — Fathom series being more expensive).

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was looking back at Amir's distortion figures of Revels. High end speakers vanishing low and low end speakers real good. I suspect measurements of Revel subs might beat the internet wonders significantly.
I wouldnt say so, at least not as an end statement. This is the distortion plots of the JTR RS1, it has distortion under control under high output.
image.jpeg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If your subwoofer badly distorts there are 3 likely reasons.
1 It's a really cheap POS (not yours)
2 It's been incorrectly set-up.
3 It's too small for your needs. (the most likely).
First thing you need to do is determine your needs.
1 How low do you want it to go.
2 How loud do you want it to play
3 How big is your room.
Once you outline your parameters I'm sure you can find a great
sub that doesn't distort from any of the major manufacturers.
I have 2 SVS SB2000 here and I've never heard it make any audible distortion
that wasn't on the source.
If you want Revel, I'm sure your can find one from them that will meet your needs.
They tend to be a bit pricey but they are a top quality product that is also very attractive.
Just like all other speakers, your gonna pay extra for that furniture quality finish beauty.
Here's a couple links that might help you make your decision.
Our member here @sweetchaos has done a lot of work puttinng together some charts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The guys at Audioholics have measured and reviewed many, great reference material.

Lsc

Based on this, it appears that Revel subs are not the best value. https://www.musicdirect.com/equipme...lZMAHHue-kaGrNWoQq6O518E8bUwesRxoC5G0QAvD_BwE

I don’t know if there is a lot of R&D that Revel put into the subs like they put into their speakers.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Based on this, it appears that Revel subs are not the best value. https://www.musicdirect.com/equipme...lZMAHHue-kaGrNWoQq6O518E8bUwesRxoC5G0QAvD_BwE

I don’t know if there is a lot of R&D that Revel put into the subs like they put into their speakers.
At one point they were using a modified JBL driver for their 15" subs (SUB1500) and they were beastly... Except when the failed, which was common when pushed and had something to do with the lead leads and hitting the driver at extreme excursion.

Lsc

At one point they were using a modified JBL driver for their 15" subs (SUB1500) and they were beastly... Except when the failed, which was common when pushed and had something to do with the lead leads and hitting the driver at extreme excursion.
Thank you for this info. Here is a JBL subwoofer that very similar to the Revel. Looks like they just rebranded a JBL sub or vice versa so whatever this means at face value.

I’ve never owned a Revel sub. I would have liked to have gotten the Rhythm at close out but I missed out….I think that was a pretty good sub and would have been a good alternative to my Gothams.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Thank you for this info. Here is a JBL subwoofer that very similar to the Revel. Looks like they just rebranded a JBL sub or vice versa so whatever this means at face value.

I’ve never owned a Revel sub. I would have liked to have gotten the Rhythm at close out but I missed out….I think that was a pretty good sub and would have been a good alternative to my Gothams.
I believe Harmon does provide the drivers, speced for Revel and the 15" I referenced in my first post was used in a JBL Synthesis line for a couple of years. It was passive with an out board amp.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Curious as to when and how you hear this distortion?
At very low HZ, very loud levels, what's going on?
Never owned any but Rythmic's are quality products and shouldn't be creating audible
distortions unless something isn't right.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had Rhythmik subs bottom out or distort on some movies. Never with music.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
If your subwoofer badly distorts there are 3 likely reasons.
1 It's a really cheap POS (not yours)
2 It's been incorrectly set-up.
3 It's too small for your needs. (the most likely).
First thing you need to do is determine your needs.
1 How low do you want it to go.
2 How loud do you want it to play
3 How big is your room.
Once you outline your parameters I'm sure you can find a great
sub that doesn't distort from any of the major manufacturers.
I have 2 SVS SB2000 here and I've never heard it make any audible distortion
that wasn't on the source.
If you want Revel, I'm sure your can find one from them that will meet your needs.
They tend to be a bit pricey but they are a top quality product that is also very attractive.
Just like all other speakers, your gonna pay extra for that furniture quality finish beauty.
Here's a couple links that might help you make your decision.
Our member here @sweetchaos has done a lot of work puttinng together some charts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The guys at Audioholics have measured and reviewed many, great reference material.
I know. I have corrected through Anthem Room Correction. I suspect my personal preference. I don't like the rumbling.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Curious as to when and how you hear this distortion?
At very low HZ, very loud levels, what's going on?
Never owned any but Rythmic's are quality products and shouldn't be creating audible
distortions unless something isn't right.
I don't play load. Just doesn't sound clean to me.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They are expensive compared to SVS and Rhythmic.
Very expensive, but they are very purdy.
To tell the truth it's hard for me to be objective here.
They're way above what I'd pay for a sub, considering the super excellent products being built by the others for much less.
I do believe your looking in the wrong area to cure your audible issues unless your overdriving the crap out of it
or it's been damaged.
Best of luck.

DMill

Forum Donor
That is the mystery. Cannot find any objective measurements. Sure wish Amir would measure one. They are expensive compared to SVS and Rhythmic.
Mostly a waste of Amir’s time I think. I’m sure these subs measure just fine. $3k??? I suppose Revel can charge that much to people with enough money that the logo on the sub matching their bookshelf speakers is important.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Lsc

I don't play load. Just doesn't sound clean to me.
I think I understand what you mean. I still have a SVS SB13-ultra and had a PB16-ultra but neither sub gave me that satisfying bass that my JL F113 did (which I’m listening to right now in my 2nd system where the JL is the star) or the Gothams that I have in my primary system.

No matter what I did with the SVS subs, I just wasn’t 100% happy. It could be setup related too but I’m happy now so it’s all good.

Not sure there Revel subs will get there for you but who knows…maybe someone will test them (Amir or anyone else).

Top Bottom