• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
The assertion was [paraphrasing] people who don't think they need subs have never heard a system with well-placed, well-integrated subs.

I disagree, because:

1. I have heard many systems with well-integrated subs, including my current system, and;
2. Most of the music I enjoy has very little, if any, content below 40Hz, and my F206 have an in-room F3 of 32Hz, which is low enough to cover almost everything I need. In addition to my AVR with subs, I have a pathway that is laptop w/ Dirac -> Schiit Modius -> Peachtree Nova300 -> F206. Even though I have a very good sub integration with the AVR, and I have Audyssey and Dirac set up with very similar target curves, both limited to under 1KHz, I generally enjoy the sub-less pathway more. I cannot explain why, other than to say it sounds more "natural" to me. I have never tried to quantify that thought further, and;
3. With 300WPC at 8 Ohms and 500WPC at 4 Ohms available, and Dirac correcting the bass frequencies, there is plenty of visceral impact without subs in my small room, and I cannot hear any distortion, and;
4. Sweeping generalizations rooted in assumptions are pointless.

Movies are a different story, of course.

Pathways available in my media room:

View attachment 272677

Sub integration results with 80Hz crossover:

View attachment 272678

View attachment 272679
I believe I integrated sub properly with Anthem Room Correction. I still prefer my floorstanders without crossover to sub. I simply don't like the sound emitted from the sub. The sound doesn't punch.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I believe I integrated sub properly with Anthem Room Correction. I still prefer my floorstanders without crossover to sub. I simply don't like the sound emitted from the sub. The sound doesn't punch.
Somethings not right?
The reality should be exactly the opposite.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Somethings not right?
The reality should be exactly the opposite.
Midbass on a tower just doesn't sound right crossed over. I'd rather listen to a tower at -3db at 38 hz than crossover to a sub. Sounds like a movie theater coupled with a gray DLP big screen. Literally hurts my eardrums and numbs my eyes.

JohnnyNG

If high-passing to subs at 80Hz, 24dB/oct., any reason not to go with the F206 over the F208? Running M106 now.

Pio

Forum Donor
If high-passing to subs at 80Hz, 24dB/oct., any reason not to go with the F206 over the F208? Running M106 now.
Better dynamics / headroom, that's why I do it. Especially if you have robust subs to handle < 80hz.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

I did exactly that and saved the difference. It was worked well for me so far.

You can, of course, cross them lower if you want to. My AVR suggested 40Hz.

JLGF1

I am a non-expert at comparing specs. But, on FR alone, all other things being equal (which they probably won't be) should I assume these representative tower speakers should/could compare favorably to the F208's?

Tower speakers.jpg

Pio

Forum Donor
I am a non-expert at comparing specs. But, on FR alone, all other things being equal (which they probably won't be) should I assume these representative tower speakers should/could compare favorably to the F208's?

View attachment 279366
That looks like an excellent in room response prediction.

MarkS

Major Contributor
The graphs are of the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Ribbon Tower V2:

JohnnyNG

Is it a limitation of the associated gear that you can’t choose a lower crossover point?
In this room and (fixed of necessity) seating position I've found it's better to let my subs handle below 80Hz. The speakers also sound better to me, perhaps due to lower IMD as well as THD. Even 120Hz works well given how they're located.

Reactions: Pio

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The graphs are of the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Ribbon Tower V2:
What about LX Bookshelf?

iNetRunner

In this room and (fixed of necessity) seating position I've found it's better to let my subs handle below 80Hz. The speakers also sound better to me, perhaps due to lower IMD as well as THD. Even 120Hz works well given how they're located.
Then maybe with that high of a crossover you could save some money and go with the F206. I sure absolutely love my F208, and haven’t heard the smaller F206 — but I’d wager that the bigger difference is from 60Hz down between the speakers.

Though, it’s possible that e.g. the bigger mass of the F208, or the “ease” that larger woofers would have to the sound, would translate to details in midrange clarity etc.. But if you could listen to them side by side in a showroom, that could give you some definite answers.

JohnnyNG

Then maybe with that high of a crossover you could save some money and go with the F206. I sure absolutely love my F208, and haven’t heard the smaller F206 — but I’d wager that the bigger difference is from 60Hz down between the speakers.

Though, it’s possible that e.g. the bigger mass of the F208, or the “ease” that larger woofers would have to the sound, would translate to details in midrange clarity etc.. But if you could listen to them side by side in a showroom, that could give you some definite answers.
Thanks! Then there's the outlier candidate the Concerta2 F36 which seems to still measure pretty well and be ahead of the F206 dynamically. Nice sale price too, admittedly. ;)

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Revel speakers stand out with low distortion. I wish Amir would test Revel sub. I'll bet low distortion. I don't like subs I have purchased including Rythmic and Infinity. I detect distortion painfully with perforated ear drum since childhood. I keep reading that 10% distortion below 40 hz is undetectable. Try that with a screwed up ear drum.

JLGF1

wish Amir would test Revel sub. I'll bet low distortion.
This is ASR where speculation doesn't count for much.

Nothing in the Revel published SW specs that would make one assume they would outperform a Rhythmik sub. Quite the contrary in fact.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Revel speakers stand out with low distortion. I wish Amir would test Revel sub. I'll bet low distortion. I don't like subs I have purchased including Rythmic and Infinity. I detect distortion painfully with perforated ear drum since childhood. I keep reading that 10% distortion below 40 hz is undetectable. Try that with a screwed up ear drum.
You want low distortion, get the biggest sucker or 4 that will fit in your room with lots of power.
All the marketing BS aside, you can't change the laws of physics.

Lsc

Have you tried JL audio? Very clean sounding.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
You want low distortion, get the biggest sucker or 4 that will fit in your room with lots of power.
All the marketing BS aside, you can't change the laws of physics.
I was looking back at Amir's distortion figures of Revels. High end speakers vanishing low and low end speakers real good. I suspect measurements of Revel subs might beat the internet wonders significantly.

Top Bottom