• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Anyone driving DCA Aeon 2 Closed or Noire with a Qudelix-5K?

TunaBug

Forum Donor
Anyone driving DCA Aeon 2 Closed or Noire with a Qudelix-5K?

I'm listening to a 2-day old Noire on a 5-day old 5K right now, using the balanced output. It will not drive it to deafening levels, but I'm quite happy with the setup given the price of the 5K. But I'm also only recently back into this hobby and have significant hearing loss so I hesitate to say "sounds great" as a recommendation to others.

I think the 5K is an awesome gadget to have regardless. I didn't get it specifically for the Noire, but am pleased that it happened to work this well. I want to get a desktop DAC/Amp, but the 5K is doing well enough that I can take my time deciding what to get next.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I'm listening to a 2-day old Noire on a 5-day old 5K right now, using the balanced output. It will not drive it to deafening levels, but I'm quite happy with the setup given the price of the 5K. But I'm also only recently back into this hobby and have significant hearing loss so I hesitate to say "sounds great" as a recommendation to others.

I think the 5K is an awesome gadget to have regardless. I didn't get it specifically for the Noire, but am pleased that it happened to work this well. I want to get a desktop DAC/Amp, but the K5 is doing well enough that I can take my time deciding what to get next.

Thanks for sharing. Desktop amp/DAC are covered for me as I have a Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 and a Matrix Audio X-SABRE3 + Topping A30Pro. I'm looking for something portable while on the go that is capable to drive the Noire, HD660s and Sundaras. Going to give the 5K a try.

brandall10

Thanks for sharing. Desktop amp/DAC are covered for me as I have a Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 and a Matrix Audio X-SABRE3 + Topping A30Pro. I'm looking for something portable while on the go that is capable to drive the Noire, HD660s and Sundaras. Going to give the 5K a try.

FWIW, Dan Clark mentioned the THX Onyx as a good pairing for the somewhat harder to drive Stealth. It's only single-ended and not as powerful as the 5k balanced, but the DAC section measures quite a bit better. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/thx-onyx-review-headphone-adapter.22223/

I think the 5k is an awesome device, esp. w/ the built in PEQ and PEQ database. But IME there is a fair bit of audible difference between using it w/ my KSE1200 (electrostat that comes w/ its own amp) and a Hidizs S8... these are the most resolving earphones out there, so YMMV.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
FWIW, Dan Clark mentioned the THX Onyx as a good pairing for the somewhat harder to drive Stealth. It's only single-ended and not as powerful as the 5k balanced, but the DAC section measures quite a bit better. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/thx-onyx-review-headphone-adapter.22223/

I think the 5k is an awesome device, esp. w/ the built in PEQ and PEQ database. But IME there is a fair bit of audible difference between using it w/ my KSE1200 (electrostat that comes w/ its own amp) and a Hidizs S8... these are the most resolving earphones out there, so YMMV.
Just ordered the 5K with the lighting to USB-C cable from Meenova. The 5K is the best solution for somebody like me that like and uses Oratory1990 PEQ settings with all my headphones. After hours of research looks like the 5K is one of kind device as it's the only device I can see than has Oratory1990 presets pre loaded and also 20 x custom 10 band PEQ.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered the 5K with the lighting to USB-C cable from Meenova. The 5K is the best solution for somebody like me that like and uses Oratory1990 PEQ settings with all my headphones. After hours of research looks like the 5K is one of kind device as it's the only device I can see than has Oratory1990 presets pre loaded and also 20 x custom 10 band PEQ.
It's not the actual Oratory presets loaded. It will be the Auto EQ presets which may (or may not) be based on oratory measurements.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It's not the actual Oratory presets loaded. It will be the Auto EQ presets which may (or may not) be based on oratory measurements.

As far I can tell, some are based in Oratory measurements:

IMG_8365.PNG

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As far I can tell, some are based in Oratory measurements:

View attachment 156093
Yes, that's what I meant. Some auto eq presets don't use the oratory measurements. But you need to also know that Auto EQ presets that DO use the oratory measurements are not the same as oratory's own eq settings based on the same measurements.

Especially when you look at what auto eq does above 8khz.

Simply put, I find it better to use the settings on his Reddit page and type them in.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes, that's what I meant. Some auto eq presets don't use the oratory measurements. But you need to also know that Auto EQ presets that DO use the oratory measurements are not the same as oratory's own eq settings based on the same measurements.

Especially when you look at what auto eq does above 8khz.

Simply put, I find it better to use the settings on his Reddit page and type them in.
Got it. I guess I can type them in and compare with Auto EQ. Thanks again for the tips!!

TunaBug

Forum Donor

I failed to mention that I’m using the Meenova cable with my iPhone Xr. Not only is the phone powering the 5K while listening to the Noire, but the 5K’s battery is charging at the same time.

I think I found the Meenova via @staticV3’s spreadsheet linked from an ASR thread about one of the E1DA dongles. Apparently the Meenova lies to iOS about how much current is needed so that the handshake between device and iOS succeeds, at which point the iPhone delivers current. :). I haven’t bothered to hunt down my genuine Apple lightning connector, so I guess it’s possible that this isn’t necessary.

brandall10

Not only is the phone powering the 5K while listening to the Noire, but the 5K’s battery is charging at the same time.

In the app, go to the Power menu and uncheck Enable under Charger Control. When you go back to the BATT menu you'll see charging is now off.

brandall10

After hours of research looks like the 5K is one of kind device

It absolutely is. Just reading the user guide you can tell the designers took the design and features of it seriously and are enthusiasts themselves. On top of that, there are regular and meaningful updates to the firmware and app so the value keeps coming long after the initial purchase. I only use mine in a pinch (when I can't stream from my laptop w/ Roon's PEQ), still - I'm proud to own such a cool piece of tech and support the company.

I hope they come out w/ a V2 with a stronger DAC section. Even at 2x the price (heck 3x if it measured like the Hidizs dongles), it would be an insta-buy for me.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
something bit more powerfull and without battery for desktop use
You can use the Qudelix Desktop with a 3-connector OTG cable that has one connector always 5v powered, another to your USB source (Phone, etc.) and the 3rd to Qudelix. The Q has good power management, and mine has been connected this way for perhaps a year - with no battery overcharge problems.

For more power, simply use the Q as a front end to $100 amp: Magni, Atom. etc. I use a Liquid Spark.

brandall10

You can use the Qudelix Desktop with a 3-connector OTG cable that has one connector always 5v powered, another to your USB source (Phone, etc.) and the 3rd to Qudelix. The Q has good power management, and mine has been connected this way for perhaps a year - with no battery overcharge problems.

For more power, simply use the Q as a front end to $100 amp: Magni, Atom. etc. I use a Liquid Spark.

Why do this... is it just for PEQ features? I'd prefer using a better performing DAC w/ source PEQ (ie. Roon) for desktop use, esp if you're just going to add a more powerful amp to the mix.

Why do this... is it just for PEQ features? I'd prefer using a better performing DAC w/ source PEQ (ie. Roon) for desktop use, esp if you're just going to add a more powerful amp to the mix.
it is not very convenient to use sofware EQ, for example i can connect Q5K to any source -- PC for streaming music and youtube, game console, even tv box and have no worry about my headphones EQ profile

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If the output mode (unbalanced/balanced) is set to AUTO, my device somehow detects a balanced connector even if the unbalanced output is actually connected, which, of course, results in distorted playback. Manually setting the correct output fixed the problem. Could there be dirt within, or what could the issue be here?

ririt

How do you set the qudelix output (max volume?) when connected to your liquid spark? App note from Qudelix gives some guidelines to avoid clipping / saturation at the amplifier input.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the output mode (unbalanced/balanced) is set to AUTO, my device somehow detects a balanced connector even if the unbalanced output is actually connected, which, of course, results in distorted playback. Manually setting the correct output fixed the problem. Could there be dirt within, or what could the issue be here?
Mine did this the other day- had been listening on a balanced IEM and when I used it the next day it tried playing balanced although I had it plugged into 3.5mm SE out.

Top Bottom