• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any better of Neumann KH150 + 2x KH750 at this price range?

Infinit0

Hello guys. So maybe some remember me a few months ago I was trying to decide which monitors buy but I decided to expend more money into it (like 6000 range) of course I can go up if it's worth it.

My usage is in a 7mx4m room (aprox 30m2 or 80m3) at 2m-2.25m distance. Between 85-95db SPL.
Music and movies so the sub is a must for the LFE. Always sitting in the sweet spot (couch). I like flat sound the nearest possible as the recording was made/mastered.

So based on that I have decided that KH150 was a better investment instead of KH120II, and paired with two subwoofers because it's what Neumann recommends for pairing the SPL of the KH150.
So I was wondering if for this money is the best I can get or there is any better, for example: (I would love to get Dutch 8C by the way, but too much money haha).

- KH 150 + 2x KH750 = EUR 5900
- Genelec 8341 + 7360 = EUR 7300 (3 way, Cons: Lot more money)
- Genelec 8341 + 2x 7350 = EUR 7738 (3 way, Cons: Same)
- Genelec 8351 without sub = EUR 8000 (Cons: No sub)
- Wait for the new KH310II + 2x KH750 = Probably they will be 5000 pair aprox so something like = EUR 8000 (3 way)
- Other option... Like KEF R3 meta, etc? In Spain where I live I can't finde any Ascend Acoustic Sierras or Revels so I am just stuck with KEF in the passive ones.

Of course we don't even know how the KH310II will measure and if it will be worth the difference of money, but I trust that they will be like KH150 but better due to the 3 way design.

So in the end I am 90% towards a Neumann solution because the price/performance ratio. But not sure If I should wait almost 1 year or pick them up right now. Maybe you can help me.

Thanks!

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
There's also the 8340 and 8350 which would bring the Genelec setups closer in price.
And the comparison is more fair since the KH150 are not coaxial.

To OP: In general I think all these setups cost so much because the subwoofers are very expensive. If you want an all-in-one solution that just works I can understand it, but if you got other subs and a 3rd party digital room correction I think you could save a lot money.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am in the UK and bought a pair of Neumann KH310s and a second BK XXLS400FF subwoofer with part of the compensation cheque for an RTA.

I opted for the BK subs as Neumanns seemed very expensive for their spec. If you use a Windows PC as a source MathAudio RoomEQ is free and works well with this setup.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Wharfedale Linton's can be found with stands for around 1100€ or a little less. Deacent Yamaha A-S 7xx/8xx amplifier for 600~800 €. Two SVS SB-1000 around 1000 € or less. MiniDSP Flex unfortunately around 600 € in EU. Add a streamer like Wiim Mini if you want one and measurement microphone if you don't have one and cable's you need and that's about it. In hard that's total of 3300~3500 €. You might want Dirac Live which will set you back additional 200€ but you can pass without it using FIR filter on Flex if you are willing to learn a bit how to make and import it.

HQY

being a neumann user for about 5 years, i'd think you cannot be wrong with 150/750/ma1 because of below reasons:
1. good sound indeed;
2. cost effective;
3. simple 3-way design; and
3. ma1.
there could be always better options out there. life is short. spend the money earlier and enjoy the time earlier. ;)

AM88

I am in the UK and bought a pair of Neumann KH310s and a second BK XXLS400FF subwoofer with part of the compensation cheque for an RTA.

I opted for the BK subs as Neumanns seemed very expensive for their spec. If you use a Windows PC as a source MathAudio RoomEQ is free and works well with this setup.
How do you integrate the two? From what I understand the BK subs only have an input and no pass through? Do you use a mini dsp or equivalent?

Chr1

Forum Donor
I use a Topping E50. Balanced outputs to the Neumanns and unbalanced to the BK subs. No crossover used on the subs. Mathaudio RoomEQ pretty much does the rest for you. Very easy. Away from home at the moment, so can't check any settings etc unfortunately...

Chr1

Forum Donor
Exactly what I was thinking when I bought the 310s... SUV broke my leg in four places. Trashed my motorcycle. Just hobbling around on crutches, then Covid, lockdown etc. Decided I was going to reward myself for the stress and general aggravation once the compensation cheque arrived!

AM88

I use a Topping E50. Balanced outputs to the Neumanns and unbalanced to the BK subs. No crossover used on the subs. Mathaudio RoomEQ pretty much does the rest for you. Very easy. Away from home at the moment, so can't check any settings etc unfortunately...
Thanks. That is a neat solution. I Didn’t realise the dac outputs to both rca and balanced.

Niko Malt

Forum Donor
As an owner of KH150, KH80 with KH750 and MA1, I would advice the KH150 with one KH750 at first for your listening distance and loudness (95 dB is not good for your hearing by the way..) Before these speakers I owned a Genelec 8351A with double 7350 subs setup, it did not sound as realistic as the setup with KH150 and one KH750.

nat1

You can do much better than Neumann subs if you don't need to use MA1 and are willing to use a device such as a miniDSP for high passing.

For example the Arendal 1961s or SB2000 Pro would both run circles around a KH 750 and are cheaper in Europe .

OP
I

Infinit0

Wharfedale Linton's can be found with stands for around 1100€ or a little less. Deacent Yamaha A-S 7xx/8xx amplifier for 600~800 €. Two SVS SB-1000 around 1000 € or less. MiniDSP Flex unfortunately around 600 € in EU. Add a streamer like Wiim Mini if you want one and measurement microphone if you don't have one and cable's you need and that's about it. In hard that's total of 3300~3500 €. You might want Dirac Live which will set you back additional 200€ but you can pass without it using FIR filter on Flex if you are willing to learn a bit how to make and import it.
Hey really appreciate your input never considered those speakers and they have impressive reviews. I think I Will get a pair for fun listening and in one year when KH310II releases I Will get them for a more analytical sounding so I Will leave the Wharfedale at living room and the monitors for the cinema room with the TV
Thanks!

OP
I

Infinit0

Well if I whose you I would probably invest in the room treatment than speakers better than Linton's.
Do you think a Rega Elex MK4 is a good pairing AMP? Or I should instead go with the Yamaha 801 or Cambridge Audio CXA81?
Thanks!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Do you think a Rega Elex MK4 is a good pairing AMP? Or I should instead go with the Yamaha 801 or Cambridge Audio CXA81?
Thanks!
I honestly don't know anything about that amplifier and specs aren't precisely specified for it (neither for DAC or power amplifier stages). Cambridge Audio is either hit or miss and there are user complains regarding longevity. Yamahas are pretty much a safe bet from very good performance (not state of art) to quality of components and longevity and price ain't bad for midrange offering. Wouldn't go for A-S 801 if I whose you, in comparison to A-S 701 you get USB DAC input and a little better integer DAC which you won't really use as you will use third part self stand ADC-DSP-DAC like MiniDSP Flex anyway. The A-S700 is a real sweet spot if you can still find them new (I can and for a great price where I live) because all do they all so far mentioned use same Sanken A-B transistor power stages which perform identical the A-S 700 has best analog input stage (same as on top end line). You may consider higher end entirely level A-S 1000 it will have less EMI from mains thanks to triodal transformer and a little better separation (thanks to a bit better typology and mainly in highs). Not really worth the price difference if you ask me.

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
KH 150 + 2x KH750 = EUR 5900
Given the monetray worth of your (virtual) record selection, isn't this enough? I would say, the combo you suggested is as good as it gets regardless of the price. A better question would be how much to save and still get a reasonable quality for your ears and--record selection.

mj30250

Given the monetray worth of your (virtual) record selection, isn't this enough? I would say, the combo you suggested is as good as it gets regardless of the price. A better question would be how much to save and still get a reasonable quality for your ears and--record selection.
You could equal or better that combo at a far lower cost by integrating non-Neumann subs. Of course, this requires much more experience, trial-and-error, time, and patience than simply plugging up a pair pf KH750s and running the system through MA 1 does.

Trell

Major Contributor
You could equal or better that combo at a far lower cost by integrating non-Neumann subs. Of course, this requires much more experience, trial-and-error, time, and patience than simply plugging up a pair pf KH750s and running the system through MA 1 does.

At least for Genelec, and I assume for Neumann as well, is low DSP latency (about 3-4 ms) so that the monitors still can be used for tracking/dubbing. Some of the other room EQ solutions adds several 10’s of ms, but for just listening that is usually not a problems.

Neumann should offer a larger version of the KH750 so that not two of them is needed to match the KH150.

Top Bottom