• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any better of Neumann KH150 + 2x KH750 at this price range?

OP
I

Infinit0

At least for Genelec, and I assume for Neumann as well, is low DSP latency (about 3-4 ms) so that the monitors still can be used for tracking/dubbing. Some of the other room EQ solutions adds several 10’s of ms, but for just listening that is usually not a problems.

Neumann should offer a larger version of the KH750 so that not two of them is needed to match the KH150.
You can use just one KH750 with a pair of KH150
But if you are going to use all the power of the KH150 then of course you will need two KH750 to match the SPL
I mean, if your room is not huge and you are not going to use as a very far distance and at 85db, probably you wont need two KH750

mj30250

You can use just one KH750 with a pair of KH150
But if you are going to use all the power of the KH150 then of course you will need two KH750 to match the SPL
I mean, if your room is not huge and you are not going to use as a very far distance and at 85db, probably you wont need two KH750
Even at higher output levels, I have to imagine there would still be some advantage (beyond raw bass extension) to low-passing the KH 150s to a single 750, even if just to relieve the woofers a bit. But yes, it would be great if they offered a more robust MA 1-alignable sub that could match the 150s all the way up to their maximum output. Even though I was happy to ditch a sub under my desk when I moved to the 150s, I'd probably jump on such an offering.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think one place to save is on the subs. A lot of people are recommending SVS, and SVS is offering it's all time best seller, the OG SB 2000 for around $600. The major difference between it and the SB 2000 Pro is the former's lack of SVS's proprietary DSP, in most other respects they are nearly identical.

Even a single SB 2000 should go deeper than a pair of the KH 750's. Since you will be using them in a home theater setup, they would undoubtedly be better for LFE effects. BTW, unlike a lot of other subs (which start rolling off steeply above 100 hz), the SB 2000's are basically flat from around 25-150 hz, making a pair of them ideal for crossing over at over above 100 hz. So they extend further at both ends of the frequency range, and a pair should cost less then a single KH 750. Just add you own crossover/bass management and DSP.

I personally think Dirac DLBC would be better than Neumann's MA-1 in terms of the end result, though perhaps not quite as easy and intuitive to use.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I think one place to save is on the subs. A lot of people are recommending SVS, and SVS is offering it's all time best seller, the OG SB 2000 for around $600. The major difference between it and the SB 2000 Pro is the former's lack of SVS's proprietary DSP, in most other respects they are nearly identical.

Even a single SB 2000 should go deeper than a pair of the KH 750's. Since you will be using them in a home theater setup, they would undoubtedly be better for LFE effects. BTW, unlike a lot of other subs (which start rolling off steeply above 100 hz), the SB 2000's are basically flat from around 25-150 hz, making a pair of them ideal for crossing over at over above 100 hz. So they extend further at both ends of the frequency range, and a pair should cost less then a single KH 750. Just add you own crossover/bass management and DSP.

I personally think Dirac DLBC would be better than Neumann's MA-1 in terms of the end result, though perhaps not quite as easy and intuitive to use.
SVS Pro series use better drivers then earlier non pro, there is a A class pre amplifier stage of 25W which is also added and of course ADC-DSP. They lost high pass trough RCA connectors. Their DSP BT software is still buggy.
I my humble opinion pair of SVS SB-1000 is enough. And close enclosure so that you keep good R60 decey times (or ISO 3382-1 early-to-late arriving sound energy).
I personally think after hand done PEQ chenel leveling FIR will give best results but you will need to put most effort learning to use convolution matrix (exporting and converting to supported format that used convolver engine actually support from REW simple text headers).

Sokel

Master Contributor
I use a Topping E50. Balanced outputs to the Neumanns and unbalanced to the BK subs. No crossover used on the subs. Mathaudio RoomEQ pretty much does the rest for you. Very easy. Away from home at the moment, so can't check any settings etc unfortunately...
Wait now..
You can't send different signal to XLR and RCA on a stereo DAC.
Where to you do the x-over?Only on the sub's low pass?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a comparison:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a comparison:
Yes, they both appear to do a pretty good correction, but MA-1 does appear to be a little bit shy at the deepest bass. But, of course, MA-1 will only work with the MH-750 subs, or some other Neumann sub, so you're locked into their walled garden there. And the KH 750's are $1695 each. which is $3400 plus $300 for the MA-1. For that you get a pair of ten inch subs and a Neumann only dsp. Even with DLBC costing nearly $800, it's still possible to find any number of subs which will duplicate or exceed the KH 750 for less.

I'm sure the Neumann is a very good system, but if someone is willing to "roll their own" in terms of sub and dsp, I believe it's possible to meet or exceed its performance for a good deal less.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they both appear to do a pretty good correction, but MA-1 does appear to be a little bit shy at the deepest bass. But, of course, MA-1 will only work with the MH-750 subs, or some other Neumann sub, so you're locked into their walled garden there. And the KH 750's are $1695 each. which is $3400 plus $300 for the MA-1. For that you get a pair of ten inch subs and a Neumann only dsp. Even with DLBC costing nearly $800, it's still possible to find any number of subs which will duplicate or exceed the KH 750 for less.

I'm sure the Neumann is a very good system, but if someone is willing to "roll their own" in terms of sub and dsp, I believe it's possible to meet or exceed its performance for a good deal less.
Sure, there are alternatives with different pros and cons.
But i interpret my own measurements to mean that your claim that DLBC is better than MA1 in terms of end results is at least debatable. My experience is limited to my own setup, though. I wish seeing a proper, professional review of different systems some day.

I paid less than 2,500 EUR for my 2 KH750+MA1, because i got a good price at the time.

OP
I

Infinit0

I honestly don't know anything about that amplifier and specs aren't precisely specified for it (neither for DAC or power amplifier stages). Cambridge Audio is either hit or miss and there are user complains regarding longevity. Yamahas are pretty much a safe bet from very good performance (not state of art) to quality of components and longevity and price ain't bad for midrange offering. Wouldn't go for A-S 801 if I whose you, in comparison to A-S 701 you get USB DAC input and a little better integer DAC which you won't really use as you will use third part self stand ADC-DSP-DAC like MiniDSP Flex anyway. The A-S700 is a real sweet spot if you can still find them new (I can and for a great price where I live) because all do they all so far mentioned use same Sanken A-B transistor power stages which perform identical the A-S 700 has best analog input stage (same as on top end line). You may consider higher end entirely level A-S 1000 it will have less EMI from mains thanks to triodal transformer and a little better separation (thanks to a bit better typology and mainly in highs). Not really worth the price difference if you ask me.
Finally I went with the Lintons they arrive on Monday, with the Rega Elex MK5 (105W at 8 ohm) I have got a huge discount so it was a no brainer.

Next month I will try to get the dirac/minidsp flex for calibration.

Do you think this system will benefit for adding a subwoofer like SVS SB 2000 Pro?
My room is 7m x 4 m listening distance 2.5 meters.
Or Linton are enough?

Thanks!

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
As an owner of KH150, KH80 with KH750 and MA1, I would advice the KH150 with one KH750 at first for your listening distance and loudness (95 dB is not good for your hearing by the way..) Before these speakers I owned a Genelec 8351A with double 7350 subs setup, it did not sound as realistic as the setup with KH150 and one KH750.
Not sure about the Genelec part, but yes. I enjoy the 8361 in the living room and a 120/750 setup at the office. Blessed.

Top Bottom