• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)/Dangerous

Votes: 245 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me there is no doubt Amir measured the voltage. Also smoke coming out is not weird when one also measures a voltage from ground pin to actual safety ground.
I would have looked a bit further, done some basic ohm measurements and had a look to see what was going on exactly.
This can not be returned to the owner this way unless repaired/checked.
I agree that it was almost certainly DOA when he plugged it in at that point as it was probably passing at least a few hundred milliamps to make things start smoking.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another familiar failure from Piece of Sh** Audio.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So much work to do everywhere in America…the pic shows an electric outlet in a public area in Massachusetts, where children gather to play soccer, mothers take other siblings walking around, more or less supervised, as their parents are busy on their iPhones…I guess the pic is worth a thousand words..
Call 311. Is this on DCR property?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This device is actually nothing more than a common mode filter (common mode rejection for HF only) and this was not tested, only differential mode.
I actually started to test this and spent a good hour on it. I could not get consistent results here so didn't publish it. Maybe that was because of the failure in the unit. I need to build and verify the test on a working/known product and then start doing it for reviews.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This can not be returned to the owner this way unless repaired/checked.
I had the same concern. Owner is wanting the unit back and says he will do his own troubleshooting. I have gotten him to confirm that this device as it sits, is highly dangerous and is not to be used.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I agree that it was almost certainly DOA when he plugged it in at that point as it was probably passing at least a few hundred milliamps to make things start smoking.
There are two distinct conditions for the box. One before I grounded the PE, and one, after. With fresh smoke inside and sound of sparks, clearly something else has gone wrong now in addition to whatever condition it was in before.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe another power cord would lift the veil of smoke.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Maybe another power cord would lift the veil of smoke.
Depends on the type of smoke created. A segment of the market will pay more for that! :p

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The only thing the company could do is a call back action and a reasonable refund, even after all this time.
This should'nt have happend.even on products that do nothing anyway.

ta240

Major Contributor
Indeed. How is it supposed to get to the dealer or user?
was it packaged in the original packaging? Having seen a lot of amateur packaging jobs it is always something to question.

My favorite quote from a person that actually packaged items for a living was "There is padding on the bottom, why do I need any on the top?"

wemist01

Are we to suspect you have become too dangerous to some kind of interests getting easy money before your arrival and a tricky simple test might encompass a design flaw driving good chances to get you killed ?

Sorry to think so, but one never knows...

Take utmost care, please.
That's exactly what I was thinking! Pardon, I need to get back to watching Spielberg's Munich...

skyfly

A power line filter, be it from a hi-fi audio brand or a computer market brand, filters RF freqency, not audio frequency.

The asserted benefit for audio is reduced intermodulation with RF noise, not reduced harmonic components below 20kHz at the power socket.

RF intermodulation is real. I saw a pair of old Sony tallboy active speakers picking up a radio station. The source was an apple computer's headphone jack. The interconnect was Radio Shack level no brand RCA cable of length 8 meters or longer. I recommended Radio Shack RF chokes. The Radio Shack RF chokes over the interconnect muted the radio station sound from the Sony active loudspeakers.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I had the same concern. Owner is wanting the unit back and says he will do his own troubleshooting. I have gotten him to confirm that this device as it sits, is highly dangerous and is not to be used.
Speaking of what insurance covers. I find it extremely difficult to believe that insurance covers burned down houses caused by a gadget where the user is aware of the potential danger of using it. That the thing is broken and life-threatening, that is to say.

Probably mostly theoretical, because there is no one on this earth who is so stupid as to plug in something potentially life-threatening AND notify the insurance company that they know about the danger.In this theoretical case, I assume that the insurance company would then say that the insurance is no longer valid.

oscar_dziki

It doesn’t surprise me.. Paul’s ****** Audio again.. Amazing that they are still around after having launched so many crappy products..
I think crappy is an understatement this time around. 'Criminal' seems more appropriate.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You know when I first read this my first thought was that Paul McGowan had really stooped to a new low in scheming to silence his critics.

"Ok guys...let's come up with a killer product!"

I guess they took him literally?

Top Bottom