• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Noise Harvester AC Cleaner Review

Sonny1

They should call this the Cash Harvester because that’s all it does.

mansr

Major Contributor
Your sinewave is flattened a bit (a few V) given the amount of odd harmonics.
You think?
index.php

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You think?
index.php

Looks normal to me.

My AC wave - 170Vpk - a long time ago

And the waveform on the Neutral (return) - magnified, so, a couple of volts.

All relative to Earth,

1608417759239.png

Although, yours seems to have a remarkably linear trace (not much "sine" curve), top to bottom

1608418088368.png

No, I guess wrong:

1608418281840.png

Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
To determine the filter range, I set my Audio Precision to produce 21 volts output and captured and plotted that using very wideband response (1 MHz). I then inserted the Harvester in the middle to see the effect:

index.php
What was the Output impedance for this Test?

result in a THD+N of nearly 3%.
How musch of this distortion comes from the transformer?

Lambda

Major Contributor
AudioQuest again in the future. Audio companies that put out pure snake-oil products, even if they produce some other good equipment, are companies I want to avoid.
So before the test you thought. the company that sells 500$ gold plated TOSLINK opticlal cables is legit

From memory I think it is 40 ohm. I thought about that after I wrote the review. :)
this is quite important to note.
40Ohms is little bit more then the typical power grind (at least here in Europe)

With REW you can easily make impedance vs frequency measurements with the help of a known resistor

Pure copper is too soft to provide good contact pressure. It needs to be alloyed with something to make it springier.
Tasty Beryllium ;)

I would be interested to hear opinions on this solution, both the tester and the filter.
Common sens can tell from fear mongering marketing this is snake oil

Every true audiofool knowes a Rotary converter is the propper way to clean up your AC!
1 ton of spinning mass per amplifier RMS Watt is sufficient.

I use this for my headphone amplifier :
1614343233201.png

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So before the test you thought. the company that sells 500$ gold plated TOSLINK opticlal cables is legit

this is quite important to note.
40Ohms is little bit more then the typical power grind (at least here in Europe)

With REW you can easily make impedance vs frequency measurements with the help of a known resistor

Tasty Beryllium ;)

Common sens can tell from fear mongering marketing this is snake oil

Every true audiofool knowes a Rotary converter is the propper way to clean up your AC!
1 ton of spinning mass per amplifier RMS Watt is sufficient.

I use this for my headphone amplifier :
View attachment 115000
We want a large flywheel on the rotatary converter would expensive ebony hardwood do or should it be cast in bronze or tungsten ? :D

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Apologies if this has been suggested before, but given that it the harvester has a blinky light to show it's "cleaning" the mains, has anyone tried one on perfectly clean mains, perhaps by plugging it into one of PS Audio's own regenerators, or an isolation transformer, something like that?

Does the light still blink?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neutronium, preferably with the mass of a small planet.

You could use sevaral of them in series AC to DC to AC to DC ..... and ofcourse you rip out all of the internal DC/DC converters normal rectifiers and stuff in your DAC so now you need several rotary converters for 5v 3.3v +12,-12 etc . And of course left and right rotary converters . for each component pre amp power amp etc o_O

mansr

Major Contributor
You could use sevaral of them in series AC to DC to AC to DC ..... and ofcourse you rip out all of the internal DC/DC converters normal rectifiers and stuff in your DAC so now you need several rotary converters for 5v 3.3v +12,-12 etc . And of course left and right rotary converters . for each component pre amp power amp etc o_O
The converters for the left channel should obviously rotate anticlockwise. Except down under, where it's the other way around.

Lambda

Major Contributor
@mansr you a thing going here!
Maybe we should start an "Original Audiophile Snake-oil inventions" thread... see how long it takes for manufacture to steal the ideas...
At least then they can't patent it :p

Judas

Judas

experimenter bias
any systematic errors in the research process or the interpretation of its results that are attributable to a researcher’s behavior, preconceived beliefs, expectancies, or desires about results. For example, a researcher may inadvertently cue participants to behave or respond in a particular way. See experimenter effect.

APA Dictionary of Psychology

QuadDiffusor

Apologies if this has been suggested before, but given that it the harvester has a blinky light to show it's "cleaning" the mains, has anyone tried one on perfectly clean mains, perhaps by plugging it into one of PS Audio's own regenerators, or an isolation transformer, something like that?

Does the light still blink?

My posts in the thread, 'Isolation Transformer and Balanced Power versus PS Audio Regenerator' in which PS Audio P20s, PLiXiR isolation transformers, and Noise Harvesters are discussed.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ps-audio-regenerator.27941/page-9#post-642484

In post #194, I observed the Noise Harvesters to NOT blink whatsoever when plugged into a PLiXiR BIT (balanced toroidal isolation transformer):
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...versus-ps-audio-regenerator.27941/post-660189

Last edited:

Judas

I suppose if you can hear something because you expect to then you can also not hear something when you expect not to.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose if you can hear something because you expect to then you can also not hear something when you expect not to.
I retailed home audio for 9 years and the customers heard what they where told to hear and what they where told not to hear. I sold on the merit of the product and quality but some salespeople did not.

Lambda

Major Contributor
ac_capacitive.png

AC-transformer.png

Looks like a transformer by itself is a good filter!
We have a capacitive coupled mains measurement and at the bottom a transformer coupled

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Greg, I am sure you have heard audiophiles many times say, "I heard a difference even though I did not expect to hear it!" The power of the force is strong with tweeky audiophiles!

Remember, people believing in such things assume their ears are absolute and no one is to question what they think they "hear." To that end I object to you questioning what I hear!!! :D

Top Bottom