• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Choose your primary listening option

• Stereo speakers

Votes: 509 33.5%
  • 2.x speaker system

Votes: 382 25.1%
  • 3.x speaker system

Votes: 13 0.9%
  • 5.x speaker system

Votes: 65 4.3%
  • 7.x or more speaker system

Votes: 67 4.4%
  • Headphones, IEM or equiv.

Votes: 238 15.7%
  • Smart speaker(s) (Alexa, Sonos, etc.)

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Soundbar or similar

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • Other (please post detail in thread)

Votes: 11 0.7%
  • Multiple Systems (Music, Home Theater, etc.)

Votes: 216 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dzerig

Right now it's records through my 2.0, the sub is disconnected.

Sometimes digital through my dac.

Occasionally headphones.

Lots of tubes.

Rhamnetin

I chose 2.1 for this poll, even though I spend a very significant amount of time listening in 5.1 for TV/movie content.

I'm surprised so many people do not use a subwoofer...one (or more) is required to meet my definition of high fidelity.

I'm surprised as well, but subwoofers are just a means to an end, the end being whatever bass response you want. With my stereo music system, I have very strong bass response down to 50 Hz. Although linearity down to 20 Hz would be ideal, I don't find that last 30 Hz to be worth the effort.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gonna put me in multiple systems. When I'm on the Peleton or doing my steps in the neighborhood, I'm on Crinacle Zero Red IEMs. Likewise when I'm in bed reading, I'm on my Moondrop DSP Quarks connected to my Kindle.

I can listen to my LS 50 Meta/SVS SB 2000 speaker system as a 2.2 for 2 channel music or as a 5.1 for home theater. And when it's late at night, I listen to Atmos movies over my HD 800's connected to my A16 Realiser which emulates a 24 channel Dutch and Dutch speaker system.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
500+ votes and not a single Soundbar in the room. Somewhere Amir is doing his “Happy Dance”. He has a special stuffed plush Panther as his dance partner. :oops:

bogart

Forum Donor
Most of my day is at my desk, split between headphones and a 2.1 system depending on whether I’m alone in the house.

Otherwise, it’s Sonos while doing household tasks.

Whenever the stars align, though, I get to listen on the Revels in the basement.

Based on listening hours, I should really prioritize my desk setup more than I have. It’s probably 90%, 8% and 2% respectively!

wunderkind

I voted for multiple too.

Tannoy & B&W and Marantz system 5.1.2
I like musicals and I just had a sing-along Frozen II session with my girls the other night. :)

For "do not bother me" personal time I have an audio 11'x20' audio tuned room.
Wiim/Cambridge Audio stuff paired in a 2.1 config of Kef speakers and Hsu Research sub.
If I feel a bit analogy, I'll spin some records on a old Pioneer table, vintage Marantz 7 tube preamp and a vintage NEC amp.

I've been venturing into some chi-fi stuff in my home office. But mostly via headphones or iems. Much prefer the former though.

Last edited:

just1n

Forum Donor
All over the place. Multichannel in the living room, HomePod minis in the kitchen and bedrooms, couple active at the desk. Having AirPlay and the ability to have all rooms playing at lower volumes at the same time is the best part. No blasting music from the other side of the apartment.

ClosDeLaRoche

My main system is a pair of LS50's and a HSU 15" sealed sub. I just got a miniDSP Flex HT and I love it! Dirac Live is incredible and it's good to be able to downmix surround to 2.1 myself to get the LFE track. I do use this for music but mostly movies.

Outside of that, I have a custom car stereo that actually is what I use the most with music. Also love my sennheiser 6XX and moondrop S8 headphones.

Dzhaughn

Outside of that, I have a custom car stereo that actually is what I use the most with music. Also love my sennheiser 6XX and moondrop S8 headphones.
At home? :) But, yeah, car stereo is an awfully common experience.

Reminds me of a old guy I met years ago, god bless him, who for music generally listened to 8-tracks in his van in his garage. I do not think he visits this site.

ajax247

Forum Donor
My "Other" system is 4.1, with 2 Philharmonic BMRs in the main listening area, 2 ELAC DBR62s in the contiguous kitchen area, with a SVS 3000 Micro sub pointing into both. Audio solution for an open-architecture midcentury modern residence!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which I find interesting, sometimes there's a lot of talk from the X:Y crowd about new music recordings for more "immersive" formats. No disrespect intended, but based on some some discussions I thought it'd be a bit more prevalent for music listening by some in here.

That’s why I voted >7.1, even though multiple is accurate. We have two big bore non-nearfield systems, one immersive and one 2.multisubs. Both use the same model of processor (HTP-1) so both get Dirac Live Bass Control and good loudness compensation. Both use top-tier speakers. Two channel content almost always sounds better upmixed in Auromatic on the immersive system than on the stereo Revel Gem2’s.

Lotus78

Two rooms music one with 10 ft projector all 2 ch stereo with Dirac live. Philharmonic BMRs in living room. Lintons in main listening room and Martin Logans ESL for movies and tv. MCM only allowed in main listening room.

Theriverlethe

I'm surprised 3.x is more popular than soundbars in this poll. I'd guess greater than 50% of the general public that spent money on dedicated audio is using soundbars.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised 3.x is more popular than soundbars in this poll. I'd guess greater than 50% of the general public that spent money on dedicated audio is using soundbars.
I know for a fact soundbars are omnipresent, but not among people that would show any interest in ASR, as confirmed.
I abhor them.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
OK…ready to be judged. Blindfold me, give me a final smoke and shoot me. I listen to music primarily 5.2. I switch back and forth to 2.2 but always ends up with the more submersive…though highly processed, 5.2 format. Sue me, which is, I admit better than being put in front of a firing squad. Hell, I quit smoking 30 yrs. ago, not that a last cig. would matter. I’m old, my ears ain’t what they used to be and I need to get my cheap thrills wherever I can.
Thanks to Amirm, I‘ve recently been introduced to the wonderful world of low cost IEM’s that pitch way above the dollar amount expended. So Rick…ask me this question next year. My answer might be that I rummage through my drawer full of earbuds and choose the IEM de’jour. ; )
Now that I’ve lost all whatever credibility I might have had on this site, I just want y’all to reflect on how hard this was for me to reveal. Be kind.
At least I don’t primarily enjoy my music with a soundbar. :facepalm:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Abhor" seems a bit strong. I have one attached to a small television in my bedroom. It's certainly better than the TV's built-in audio.
that's why i also said we tend to have many systems. i do not allow a TV in my bedroom, but i have a humble Squeezebox Boom with a small sub attached to play for different moods. No doubt some soundbars may do that job.

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I selected 2.x but it seems too simple if trying to help Amir with his testing priorities?

system final.jpg

Theriverlethe

that's why i also said we tend to have many systems. i do not allow a TV in my bedroom, but i have a humble Squeezebox Boom with a small sub attached to play for different moods. No doubt some soundbars may do that job.
Oooh, a Squeezebox Boom. I had a raspberry pi with picoreplayer and an XLR hat plugged into LSR305’s in my bedroom. I never used the system so decided to sell, but I still have Logitech Media Server in a Docker container.

Top Bottom