• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer VSX-LX505 (with Dirac) Unboxing and Overview

Theriverlethe

can't you just change the phase of the subwoofer?

to avoid cancellation, I mean.

otherwise, proper placement would help for sure.
Sure, I could change each subwoofer in 1-10 degree increments for 180 degrees... Or just turn up the delays until I get a smooth integration.

EWL5

Yes, just download Dirac Live on your PC/Mac from dirac.com and connect your UMIK-1 to the computer. When you launch the Dirac application, it will find your AVR on the network and allow you to proceed with the caliibration.
Does built-in DL (as in the case of the 505) still use laptop version/UMIK-1? In other words, does it connect the same as my paid DL on the 3800?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
chiming in here since I consider replacing my SC-LX57 with the VSX-LX505.

Is it possible to do the AVR's DIRAC calibration using my UMIK-1?

Also, on a different note: can that 5V USB output at the back be used to power a USB fan for cooling?

Not particularly familiar with it, but my understanding is you can use the stock microphone for AccuEQ/MCACC (or whatever they call their in-house room eq) or use a computer, is the information not in the avr's manual?

The caution on the usb port is usually the amperage as well as voltage on a usb fan, some are okay, some present too large a draw (and a separate wall wart is easy enough in that case).

dlaloum

Major Contributor
chiming in here since I consider replacing my SC-LX57 with the VSX-LX505.

Is it possible to do the AVR's DIRAC calibration using my UMIK-1?

Also, on a different note: can that 5V USB output at the back be used to power a USB fan for cooling?
Yes it is, many prefer touse a umik1, as it is individually calibrated.

You connect the umik1 to your PC running Dirac - not to the AVR
If using the puck included with the AVR, it connects to the AVR and not the PC.

Flak

Industry Insider
I found that Dirac incorrectly set my LCR as "large" and then failed to have the subwoofer delays set correctly for those speakers, such that there was significant crossover cancellation when I set the LCR to "large." I forget if the Pioneer unit allows manual adjustment of subwoofer delay with Dirac enabled since I returned it for a Yamaha.
Actually, Dirac Live doesn't set speakers as "large" or "small"... that is done in the AVR

Theriverlethe

I have found that subwoofer integration using Dirac on the Pioneer is excellent. It sets the sub level precisely.
Have you verified the frequency response at the crossover region?

Edit: I'd agree it does a good job with the levels. Like night and day vs. XT32.

BJL

Have you verified the frequency response at the crossover region?

Edit: I'd agree it does a good job with the levels. Like night and day vs. XT32.
I see the confusion on this point. The Pioneer does NOT support Dirac Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC). Thus bass management is handled by the AVR, not Dirac. On the Pioneer, Dirac is providing EQ, levels relative to the other speakers, and timing/impulse control. For myself, I only use the sub for the LFE (.1) channel and therefore the crossover (and/or lack of DLBC) is not relevant for me.

Edit: as others have mentioned, bass management on the Pioneer has limitations.

Theriverlethe

I see the confusion on this point. The Pioneer does NOT support Dirac Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC). Thus bass management is handled by the AVR, not Dirac. On the Pioneer, Dirac is providing EQ, levels relative to the other speakers, and timing/impulse control. For myself, I only use the sub for the LFE (.1) channel and therefore the crossover (and/or lack of DLBC) is not relevant for me.

Edit: as others have mentioned, bass management on the Pioneer has limitations.
Timing/impulse control really should handle the sub crossover.

Top Bottom