• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first attempt at Dirac this morning (on the 3800)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
you need to make sure it's not a psychological preference on your part, we're here on ASR.

Have you done an ABX comparison?

I should have been more specific. MEASURABLY better results. I have no idea if either is audibly better, because there is no easy way to voltage match them and switch quickly. Also, the AVR pathway utilizes 2 subs and the PC pathway utilizes 0 subs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I said Audyssey doesn't apply phase correction while Dirac does and you blamed me for "perpetuating misinformation". What Audyssey told you is completely irrelevant to my statement!

Miscommunication then! In view of this, I would like to hopefully stop any more back and forth, using the following point by point approach for better clarify this time.

First and foremost, I did not blame you for perpetuating misinformation in saying "Audsyssey doesn't apply phase correction while Dirac does". Those are, as far as I know, correct information. If I had responded in point form, we would have avoided this part of the miscommunication.

The part I referred to as misinformation is what you stated in post#21, specific the quoted line below, even with that, I did not mean you were the one perpetuating anything, just not helping the existing the current situation, that there are so much of it on the internet, about what Audyssey do, or not do already.

All its filters are in the frequency domain.

Regardless, I should not have worded my response that way, unless I provided my own supporting, factual information. On your part though, if you insist it is factual, then the burden of proof is on you. I know you can probably decipher what's in the .ady file completely, but I think the filter calculations/creation only takes place during (and, or prior to) the upload to device process, so you may or may not be able to see all the pertinent information about the filters. If Audyssey says their filters are, or also, in the time domain, are you going to believe them?

I never claimed Dirac does phase correction because Dirac filters change phase response. None of these filters change phase in any significant way. Dirac applies phase correction to fix problems "between the speakers" stemming from asymmetric room reflections, this is actually why phase correction is done if ever

I never said you did, not that it matters now, just still curious about where you read those things from, that I had not even commented on?

and Audyssey simply cannot do that. Their narrative that they don't do phase correction because their filters don't change phase is bit of an abuse of lack of knowledge at best and you didn't help others learn the facts which was my only intention.

No idea what this is about, I have not said anything about those things, but I do wonder now about your "audyssey cannot do that" comment. I don't know if you mean Audyssey cannot do because they don't know how, or they won't, because of their own reasons, and how would you know? To be clear, I am not suggesting you are wrong, just have questions that's all.

Also Dirac Live can crossover subwoofer at any frequency (unlike the fixed frequencies of Audyssey) and has higher speaker distance (delay) level limits than Audyssey for the same receiver (I heard that from a trusted friend who tested both but did not yet confirm myself!)

Now that I re-read this part, I would add that it is sort of fixed in terms of steps of 10 or 20 Hz such as 40, 60, 80, 90 Hz etc., not fixed at one value, so to just say "fixed", new users may misinterpret it as just one value that cannot be changed, but I did not take issue with you on that at all, I said I didn't like that (the "fixed crossover frequencies" part the Audyssey does). So, we are in agreement on this anyway.

I am not a programmer (far from it) but I have an aeronautical engineering degree and we used Laplace transforms quite heavily for solving differential equations in computational fluid dynamics some decades back in school.

Good to know, so we are both engineers. In my country we are abide by our code of ethics, after this back and forth, I feel like re-reading it, and see if it says anything about mutual respect between engineers, just an example lol...

I asked if you know Fourier, Laplace and Z transforms because in my mind, they are essential for those involved in IIR and FIR applications in Room correction. I learnt those also decades ago, mostly when studying advanced mathematics and communication (i.e. telecommunications) theory.

I am not posting any of these here to counter argue you or anyone else and please don't take it personal but I usually only post to share information with others who have a desire to learn. The algorithm (I used a simplified version of Radix 2) is much easier to grasp than one would imagine.

I overreacted when you told me to "You need to learn the basics before making such assumptions." remark because I did not feel I had "made such assumptions" in the first place. If you thought I did, you misunderstood, and/or I was not clear in what I was trying to say. Even about the term misinformation, I only said "Unless we don't believe what Audyssey is telling us, we should do our part not to perpetuate misinformation". That is quite different than saying you perpetuated misinformation. Also, if you read it in full context of my post, I referred mainly to my feeling that people have been saying all kinds of thing about Audyssey and that in the early days (I have since learnt more), I didn't know if they were true, false, in between or partially true, false etc., there were just all kinds of back and forth on the internet. So I felt unless we know something for sure now, such as directly from Audyssey, we should not say things that perpetuate such things about Audyssey.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I should have been more specific. MEASURABLY better results. I have no idea if either is audibly better, because there is no easy way to voltage match them and switch quickly. Also, the AVR pathway utilizes 2 subs and the PC pathway utilizes 0 subs.
I know exactly you meant measurably, as I have seen the REW graphs you posted, thanks again for sharing those. I am still looking forward to more ARC Genesis users to share their REW graphs.:)

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Miscommunication then! In view of this, I would like to hopefully stop any more back and forth, using the following point by point approach for better clarify this time.

First and foremost, I did not blame you for perpetuating misinformation in saying "Audsyssey doesn't apply phase correction while Dirac does". Those are, as far as I know, correct information. If I had responded in point form, we would have avoided this part of the miscommunication.

The part I referred to as misinformation is what you stated in post#21, specific the quoted line below, even with that, I did not mean you were the one perpetuating anything, just not helping the existing the current situation, that there are so much of it on the internet, about what Audyssey do, or not do already.

Regardless, I should not have worded my response that way, unless I provided my own supporting, factual information. On your part though, if you insist it is factual, then the burden of proof is on you. I know you can probably decipher what's in the .ady file completely, but I think the filter calculations/creation only takes place during (and, or prior to) the upload to device process, so you may or may not be able to see all the pertinent information about the filters. If Audyssey says their filters are, or also, in the time domain, are you going to believe them?

I never said you did, not that it matters now, just still curious about where you read those things from, that I had not even commented on?

No idea what this is about, I have not said anything about those things, but I do wonder now about your "audyssey cannot do that" comment. I don't know if you mean Audyssey cannot do because they don't know how, or they won't, because of their own reasons, and how would you know? To be clear, I am not suggesting you are wrong, just have questions that's all.

Now that I re-read this part, I would add that it is sort of fixed in terms of steps of 10 or 20 Hz such as 40, 60, 80, 90 Hz etc., not fixed at one value, so to just say "fixed", new users may misinterpret it as just one value that cannot be changed, but I did not take issue with you on that at all, I said I didn't like that (the "fixed crossover frequencies" part the Audyssey does). So, we are in agreement on this anyway.

Good to know, so we are both engineers. In my country we are abide by our code of ethics, after this back and forth, I feel like re-reading it, and see if it says anything about mutual respect between engineers, just an example lol...

I asked if you know Fourier, Laplace and Z transforms because in my mind, they are essential for those involved in IIR and FIR applications in Room correction. I learnt me also decades ago, most when studying advanced mathematics and communication (i.e. telecommunications) theory.

I overreacted when you told me to "You need to learn the basics before making such assumptions." remark because I did not feel I had "made such assumptions" in the first place. If you thought I did, you misunderstood, and/or I was not clear in what I was trying to say. Even about the term misinformation, I only said "Unless we don't believe what Audyssey is telling us, we should do our part not to perpetuate misinformation". That is quite different than saying you perpetuated misinformation. Also, if you read it in full context of my post, I referred mainly to my feeling that people have been saying all kinds of thing about Audyssey and that in the early days (I have since learnt more), I didn't know if they were true, false, in between or partially true, false etc., there were just all kinds of back and forth on the internet. So I felt unless we know something for sure now, such as directly from Audyssey, we should not say things that perpetuate such things about Audyssey.
No worries mate, it's water under the bridge :) Looking at your previous posts here, I shouldn't have "even remotely" meant you don't know your basics, you surely do.

I would add that it is sort of fixed in terms of steps of 10 or 20 Hz such as 40, 60, 80, 90 Hz etc., not fixed at one value
That's good information thanks, as I said I don't have Dirac and I passed over a friend's comments who recently upgraded from Audyssey.

audyssey cannot do that
The algo simply doesn't have the process in it - it's from 2004! And since they sold the license to Sound United long time ago, they cannot do anything about how the filters are processed in the machines. They still made an effort (and one that really deserves respect) by launching MultEQ-X so as to fix things up a little before they're sent to the receiver which is technically their limit without having the license for themselves. SU has not made any addition to Audyssey after launching MultEQ Editor app many years ago. And the way they're promoting Dirac recently, it doesn't look like they ever will.

patoulol

Forum Donor
Thanks for clarifying, I'm bad at English

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Also, the AVR pathway utilizes 2 subs and the PC pathway utilizes 0 subs.
This in itself is very interesting.. Are the subs still operating when you perform the calcs via the PC, but the PC doesn't *know* they're there? I've got presets configured like this for my stereo setup with my MiniDSP, where one of my subs is receiving full range information from the second set of line outs on my preamp and I don't tell Dirac that there's a sub present, it just thinks my F206's are over producing bass and does it's thing to correct the FR.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This in itself is very interesting.. Are the subs still operating when you perform the calcs via the PC, but the PC doesn't *know* they're there? I've got presets configured like this for my stereo setup with my MiniDSP, where one of my subs is receiving full range information from the second set of line outs on my preamp and I don't tell Dirac that there's a sub present, it just thinks my F206's are over producing bass and does it's thing to correct the FR.
The PC will know, but you have to configure it. When using the PC standalone version you have the choice of using plugins, or windows/or MacOS.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

I have two audio pathways in that room.

One uses a Denon 4800 AVR. When I run the Dirac Live software and choose the AVR as the device, the AVR tells the Dirac Live software about my speaker layout, and it knows about the subs.

The other uses Dirac Standalone on a silent PC. When I select the virtual device, it does not know about the subs, because I do not configure them as present in the virtual device. So, it only corrects the mains. (The subs are plugged into the AVR, which is not in this pathway.)

Media Room Pathways.png

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

One uses a Denon 4800 AVR. When I run the Dirac Live software and choose the AVR as the device, the AVR tells the Dirac Live software about my speaker layout, and it knows about the subs.

The other uses Dirac Standalone on a silent PC. When I select the virtual device, it does not know about the subs, because I do not configure them as present in the virtual device. So, it only corrects the mains. (The subs are plugged into the AVR, which is not in this pathway.)

View attachment 342632
We have very, very similar systems..

Replace the x4800 with an x3700 and the Peachtree with an Adcom GFP-750 which feeds my Apollon NCx500's. When I want to use my MiniDSP Flex I just disable HTB and when I want to listen to my HT setup I turn HTB on the Adcom back on, too easy. I do have the second Apollon, so my C205 and F206's are all NCx500 powered.

patoulol

Forum Donor

View attachment 342632
Why choose Audyssey XT for cinema and not DIRAC live?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Why choose Audyssey XT for cinema and not DIRAC live?
Good question. On the AVR, I use XT32 for 7.2.2 and Dirac for stereo. The reason is I already had everything set up to my liking with XT32 and have not made it so far as to set it up with Dirac for comparison. These configurations take considerable time, and I have not yet wanted to give up that time.

Having said that, TV and movies sound great with XT32, so I am not terribly motivated to change anything.

patoulol

Forum Donor
Good question. On the AVR, I use XT32 for 7.2.2 and Dirac for stereo. The reason is I already had everything set up to my liking with XT32 and have not made it so far as to set it up with Dirac for comparison. These configurations take considerable time, and I have not yet wanted to give up that time.

Having said that, TV and movies sound great with XT32, so I am not terribly motivated to change anything.
I understand you so much!

I also have DIRAC LIVE on my PC (free 15-day test version) and it's difficult to make an objective comparison, you have to equalize the levels.

But I'm a fan of Audyssey's EQ DYN so I don't think I'll continue with DIRAC after the 15 days of free testing.

Also on the PC version, I don't like the software, when I switch the sound to 2.1 to 7.1 mode there is a bug that makes the gains skip for a short time and the sound becomes very LOUD.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I understand you so much!
Same. I had Dirac set up as well as I could manage on my RZ50 and am equally satisfied with the subjective outcome of Audyssey XT32 on my x3700, possibly even more satisfied.

I used the MultEQ app on my iPad with a stylus and was able to make a very decent facsimile of the Harman / Dirac curve. Basically slight treble roll-off @ 20khz and +6.5 sub-bass bump starting @ 29hz and flattening out to +3 @ 120hz.

tdx

Dont mean to hijack this thread but I also ran a Dirac DLBC calibration on my new 3800H and i have a question for you kind folks. I have a less than ideal setup (living room, 7.4.4 Def Tech speakers) but I've always managed to make it work and sound ok. After getting the Denon and running Dirac, everything is so much better, the bass, the surrounds, the soundstage etc, except one very annoying thing: my center channel now feels very low and therefore dialog is whisper quiet compared to the rest of the sound. I tried to bump up the center channel (have to do it by at least 7db to get it to be good) but that messed up the channel balance so obviously not an ideal solution.

And of course since I'm using Dirac i don't have access to any of the dialog enhancement options that Audyssey has.

I know my center channel (Def Tech CS9800) is powerful enough to deliver clear dialog when set up correctly so it's not a speaker issue either.

So I'm wondering for those of you who know Dirac better than me (this was my very first try), how would you recommend dealing with a low dialog volume?

Thanks!

Ciobi69

Dont mean to hijack this thread but I also ran a Dirac DLBC calibration on my new 3800H and i have a question for you kind folks. I have a less than ideal setup (living room, 7.4.4 Def Tech speakers) but I've always managed to make it work and sound ok. After getting the Denon and running Dirac, everything is so much better, the bass, the surrounds, the soundstage etc, except one very annoying thing: my center channel now feels very low and therefore dialog is whisper quiet compared to the rest of the sound. I tried to bump up the center channel (have to do it by at least 7db to get it to be good) but that messed up the channel balance so obviously not an ideal solution.

And of course since I'm using Dirac i don't have access to any of the dialog enhancement options that Audyssey has.

I know my center channel (Def Tech CS9800) is powerful enough to deliver clear dialog when set up correctly so it's not a speaker issue either.

So I'm wondering for those of you who know Dirac better than me (this was my very first try), how would you recommend dealing with a low dialog volume?

Thanks!
do the levels right in the calibration,

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Same. I had Dirac set up as well as I could manage on my RZ50 and am equally satisfied with the subjective outcome of Audyssey XT32 on my x3700, possibly even more satisfied.

I used the MultEQ app on my iPad with a stylus and was able to make a very decent facsimile of the Harman / Dirac curve. Basically slight treble roll-off @ 20khz and +6.5 sub-bass bump starting @ 29hz and flattening out to +3 @ 120hz.
How does subwoofer management work with one and the other?

OP
E

EWL5

Anyone know of a decent calibration point map if your sofa is up against the back wall? The default DL "sphere" assumes the seating position is away from the wall...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks!

I would suggest you use REW, or something that can do the same, to find out what's going on with the center channel. I know you heard the issue, but to troubleshoot, REW is a good tool. Once you, and/or us seen the FR curves comparing the center with the other channels, we will have a better idea as to what the cause could be and go from there. REW is free, and since you are using Dirac, I assume you have the mic (such as the Umik-1) already so you should be good to go in no time.

tdx

I would suggest you use REW, or something that can do the same, to find out what's going on with the center channel. I know you heard the issue, but to troubleshoot, REW is a good tool. Once you, and/or us seen the FR curves comparing the center with the other channels, we will have a better idea as to what the cause could be and go from there. REW is free, and since you are using Dirac, I assume you have the mic (such as the Umik-1) already so you should be good to go in no time.
Thanks I'll try it and see what's going on. Since I posted this message I reran a couple of calibrations more carefully and the center channel is somewhat better now, I only have to raise by 3db so the channels are not as imbalanced as before.

OP
E

EWL5

Filter update:

So I downloaded both the Harman +6 as well as the +8dB curves and settled on the +8 version after auditioning both. The midbass came back but still not a holographic soundstage.

I found a video that nearly guarantees an ATMOS bubble but I think I'll wait until I get a boom mic stand to do a proper job. Here's the video:

Top Bottom