• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Cartridge Response Measurement Script

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is a 5 second extract of an example sweep I am having trouble with the script. Note, it is very noisy. Taken from Elipson test record sweep which is recorded very low.

Attachments

• tttest.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

USER

Forum Donor
Here is a 5 second extract of an example sweep I am having trouble with the script. Note, it is very noisy. Taken from Elipson test record sweep which is recorded very low.
I need the full stereo sweep. The Elipson test record will likely not give you a usable sweep regardless (quality not compatibility), but I'll throw it in there if you send it. Look for CBS STR-100 on Ebay (now $35 since the price increase). It is the best bang for the buck and it provides a usable frequency response measurement.

I just noticed you are in Australia. See if the CBS is available there. Depending on your budget, if you can find a Clearaudio TRS-1007, that works well.

Last edited:

dougi

Yes I will try and track an STR-100 down. Fixed though, just being an idiot and was using backslash rather than forward slash in the path name! :facepalm:

First attempt, which seems to indicate, apart from poor channel imbalance in cart, C3050 input cap more than the 100pF NAD says. Will remeasure with another phono pre.

1688276502661.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I will try and track an STR-100 down. Fixed though, just being an idiot and was using backslash rather than forward slash in the path name! :facepalm:

First attempt, which seems to indicate, apart from poor channel imbalance in cart, C3050 input cap more than the 100pF NAD says. Will remeasure with another phono pre.

View attachment 296225
The Elipson gives about the same as the Denon XG7001 (+/- 1 dB up to 10 kHz) but since it is not left and right only, you can't get cross-talk. Distortion figures are very low though, about the lowest I've seen.

Elipson.png

dougi

The Elipson gives about the same as the Denon XG7001 (+/- 1 dB up to 10 kHz) but since it is not left and right only, you can't get cross-talk. Distortion figures are very low though, about the lowest I've seen.
Distortion is good, but a bit of "cheating". The NAD digitizes the phono input at 48 kHz, the analog output was then recorded by the RME at 96 kHz. So the treble distortion is optimistic. More accurate cart distortion using another preamp (QUAD Artera pre) is below. Loading better too, despite same quoted capacitance:
1688294259869.png

dlaloum

Major Contributor

View attachment 296244
Closest I got to a flat F/R with V15V-SAS was with R loading at 26k and C at 620pf - that provided a tiny rise at 15khz (almost identical performance with R=34k and C=770pf)
C load at 770pf kept things as close as I ever got them to neutral all the way to 16kHz - then started dropping to -2db @ 20kHz

The V15V-SAS combo seems to work best with R below the "standard" 47k, and high C loads - you could get similar effect by using a higher inductance body such as V15IV, and reduced capacitance - but adding capacitance is easy, deducting is hard.... so experimenting with the V15V (or any low inductance body) is an easier way to work things out.

V15V = 300mH (roughly)
V15-IV= 500mH
V15Vx = 425mH (but probably non laminated core... suffering from more eddy currents... it's a version of the M97 or V15RS - Radio Shack version)

USER

Forum Donor
Here's Digital1955's old sweep that I ran through my CBS correction curve recently (which assumes he has a good copy). Generally consistent pattern including rise starting at 5kHz and peaking at around 12kHz, (ignoring the Denon-like slope as Thomas A mentioned). That should be correctable at some point.
Audio-Technica VM540ML - Sony PS-X50 - CBSᶜ - 3.png

What is your setting for this? If it is 1 try 0
file0norm = 0

As there are a lot of measurements for that cartridge floating around, I may show them all in one of the first sections so people can see what the current state of measurements looks like. Would you mind if I include yours?

AT-VM540ML.jpg
AT-VM540ML.png

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Closest I got to a flat F/R with V15V-SAS was with R loading at 26k and C at 620pf - that provided a tiny rise at 15khz (almost identical performance with R=34k and C=770pf)
C load at 770pf kept things as close as I ever got them to neutral all the way to 16kHz - then started dropping to -2db @ 20kHz

The V15V-SAS combo seems to work best with R below the "standard" 47k, and high C loads - you could get similar effect by using a higher inductance body such as V15IV, and reduced capacitance - but adding capacitance is easy, deducting is hard.... so experimenting with the V15V (or any low inductance body) is an easier way to work things out.

V15V = 300mH (roughly)
V15-IV= 500mH
V15Vx = 425mH (but probably non laminated core... suffering from more eddy currents... it's a version of the M97 or V15RS - Radio Shack version)
The original V15V was more linear than the Vx using original stylus, so optimal loading would differ between them using the SAS/B. Also, I've seen some variations between stylii as well.

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
I added
(ignoring the Denon-like slope as Thomas A mentioned). That should be correctable at some point.

The Denon "correction" will only be for the non-standard lower turnover used on that record. Other corrections may confuse people if they know the characteristic the test record and are used to seeing it. It'd throw me off.

Script updated to 16.5 - adds version to the image.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dougi

As there are a lot of measurements for that cartridge floating around, I may show them all in one of the first sections so people can see what the current state of measurements looks like. Would you mind if I include yours?
If you are referring to my VM540ML measurement, be my guest.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Here's Digital1955's old sweep that I ran through my CBS correction curve recently (which assumes he has a good copy). Generally consistent pattern including rise starting at 5kHz and peaking at around 12kHz, (ignoring the Denon-like slope as Thomas A mentioned). That should be correctable at some point.
View attachment 296297
What is your setting for this? If it is 1 try 0

View attachment 296298View attachment 296299
I kind of lost my appetite for this cartridge now...., seems like the cartridge industry is unable to get a flat response that was no problem to achieve 50 years ago ( a certain Shure)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I kind of lost my appetite for this cartridge now...., seems like the cartridge industry is unable to get a flat response that was no problem to achieve 50 years ago ( a certain Shure)
Today the only contender that I know of is the Dynavector Karat...

There are a few other "exotics" that will do it within the +/-3db bounds.... and which can with a little tuning to the loading achieve excellent results.
seek out the ones with Boron/Saphire/Ruby cantilevers - and then be picky about the specs!
Soundsmith looks like a possible 2nd tier contender...

Last edited:
Top Bottom