• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PhonoFet2 - discrete preamplifier for MM cartridge

pma

Major Contributor
PhonoFet2 - discrete preamplifier for MM cartridge

After the development of several phono preamplifiers based on operational amplifiers, I have decided, about 12 years ago, to design a preamplifier built with discrete components and to utilize experience achieved during design of discrete link level preamplifiers. Thus I have designed a phono preamplifier named PhonoFet. It was based on JFET and MOSFET transistors. This preamplifier has had a low-noise complementary-differential JFET input stage followed by the MOSFET folded cascode.

The new PhonoFet2 version has output HPF added to suppress unwanted infra-sound spurious voltages, resulting from turntable operation. This is followed by the buffer to eliminate influence of various load impedances.

The power supply for this preamp utilizes my ZT15VA power supply (separate board) and on-board constant current sources followed by a parallel voltage stabilizers. This circuit solution results in an excellent S/N ratio and suppression of HF interferences. The preamp is placed in a standard 19“ case 1U high and 280 mm deep.

Phonofet_with_HPF+buffer.JPG

Technical parameters

voltage gain42 dB/1 kHz
output voltage noise19.4 uVA
max. output voltage9 Vrms
input impedance47 kohm
output impedance100 ohm
minimum load impedance600 ohm

Measurements

Phonofet_with_HPF+buffer_FR.png

PhonoFet2 frequency response

Phonofet2_10mV_1k.png

THD and THD+N with 10mV input voltage at 1kHz

Phonofet2_5k.png

THD and THD+N at 1.25V/5kHz output

We can see that distortion is quite independent on signal frequency.

Phonofet2_thdnlevel_1k.png

THD+N vs. output voltage at 1kHz. Optimum is up to 2V, which will not be exceeded based on signal amplitudes coming from MM cartridges.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
This is the RIAA frequency response error curve, measured with the built-in High Pass infrasound filter.

Phonofet2_RIAA-error.png

Output noise floor as a function of frequency (input terminated by 50 ohm, 45kHz BW)
Phonofet2_noisefloor.png

Last edited:
Hi, do you have any more information and photos of your pre-amp? Any usage with various MM cartridges?

Nice. How were your results? Did they live up to your expectations? Is this build just a project for you?

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SE IN and BAL OUT, if impressions of images are correct ..?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Ah, the old JFET-only complementary input pair trick. I'd expect superb PSRR with that regulator setup, not so sure about rail noise levels though... a capacitor across R15/19/23/33 should quiet things down a fair bit more on there, although this may be gilding the lily as I assume the circuit has good inherent PSRR.

Top Bottom