• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound JC2 Preamplifier Review

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So amir's readings seem to be differnt from stereophils readings/review. Also if your in the market for a preamp this site is not great. According to Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps hes reviewed only 4 made the cut... So basically what Amir is saying is don't by hifi unless you want really cheap stuff.
Its an interesting bias that I have noticed. The funny thing is for what he paid for his spectrum analyzer he could have built a killer system. But his hobby is not audio its measurements.

Absolutely not true. I bought the excellent $3000 Benchmark HPA4 based upon Amir's review. Amir recommends well measuring preamps regardless of their price. I think it's fantastic to know I can buy a $600 preamp that will wipe the floor with many other much more expensive preamps. But, by all means, spend more for inferior equipment if that floats your boat.

Martin

AndreaT

Forum Donor
So amir's readings seem to be differnt from stereophils readings/review. Also if your in the market for a preamp this site is not great. According to Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps hes reviewed only 4 made the cut... So basically what Amir is saying is don't by hifi unless you want really cheap stuff.
Its an interesting bias that I have noticed. The funny thing is for what he paid for his spectrum analyzer he could have built a killer system. But his hobby is not audio its measurements.
Could you please tell us about your system? I commend Amir for showing us what measures well and what does not. His reviews are also extremely useful to guide my choice of what to buy in these day and age of Hi-Fi stores extinction. So far, I have been able to improve my music systems and my listening pleasure when I chose after reading his reviews. I have also been able to save a few $ as I cancelled Stereophile and The Absolute Sound subscriptions, old dinosaurs that hardly dare to spell negative results in their reviews of electronics.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir uses a Mark Levinson Reference No 532 amplifier and Revel Salon 2 speakers in his main two channel system. He also has ML monoblocks. This is discussed elsewhere on the site. He’s obviously able to appreciate both low and high cost designs based on their performance.

xrqp

Your statement "Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps he's reviewed only 4 made the cut" if true is useful to share. But all the rest you wrote seems wrong. What are the 4 that made the cut?

Top Bottom