• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound JC2 Preamplifier Review

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi, Would you say that in 2022 this Parasound JC2BP preamplifier is relevant, value for money and could be paired well with a Parasound A21+ amplifier?
Hi Digi,

Assuming your question was directed to any contributor of the thread then my 2 cents would be NO. Any pre amp that does not have digital inputs and an inbuilt DAC with > 105 SINAD is no longer relevant. Something like a Benchmark DAC2 ticks all the boxes with excellent measurements and build and available for $1K second hand ..... remote, volume control, 2 x analogue inputs, 2 x optical, 2 x coaxial, 1 X USB, balanced & RCA outputs, headphone

Combine with a hypex (or purify) power amp and you will have a SOTA front end for ~ $2K ..... just add speakers

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Digi,

Assuming your question was directed to any contributor of the thread then my 2 cents would be NO. Any pre amp that does not have digital inputs and an inbuilt DAC with > 105 SINAD is no longer relevant. Something like a Benchmark DAC2 ticks all the boxes with excellent measurements and build and available for $1K second hand ..... remote, volume control, 2 x analogue inputs, 2 x optical, 2 x coaxial, 1 X USB, balanced & RCA outputs, headphone

Combine with a hypex (or purify) power amp and you will have a SOTA front end for ~ $2K ..... just add speakers
Preamplifiers are definitely relevant if you have a lot of analog sources, not just digital sources, in your system. Additionally, not all DACs make great pre-amps for a power amp: the Benchmark is a likely exception. The Benchmark DAC can serve as a DAC preamp in many circumstances where there are fewer analog sources and it is a fine pre-owned value for such, but it does not meet every need. Of course, the Parasound preamp will pair nicely with the Parasound amp, as that was anticipated by its designers but you don’t have to spend that much for the sound quality alone. In fact, Topping makes a preamp with much better specs for much less but it, too, is not the answer for everybody.

Last edited:

Ajax

Forum Donor
H
Preamplifiers are definitely relevant if you have a lot of analog sources, not just digital sources, in your system. Additionally, not all DACs make great pre-amps for a power amp: the Benchmark is a likely exception. The Benchmark DAC can serve as a DAC preamp in many circumstances where there are fewer analog sources and it is a fine pre-owned value for such, but it does not meet every need. Of course, the Parasound preamp will pair nicely with the Parasound amp, as that was anticipated by its designers but you don’t have to spend that much for the sound quality alone. In fact, Topping makes a preamp with much better specs for much less but it, too, is not the answer for everybody.
Hi Angsty,

I'm wondering why you would need more than 2 analogue inputs and what "needs it (the benchmark) does not meet".

Only analogue sources these days to my understanding are still relevant are turntables, reel to reel tape decks & tuners. Not many CD players would have better DACs inside them than the Benchmark (so use the coaxial or optical out) and new smart TVs, streamers and computers all use digital out.

Not looking for an argument, just don't see the point of a pre-amp without a good DAC inside.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
H

Hi Angsty,

I'm wondering why you would need more than 2 analogue inputs and what "needs it (the benchmark) does not meet".

Only analogue sources these days to my understanding are still relevant are turntables, reel to reel tape decks & tuners. Not many CD players would have better DACs inside them than the Benchmark (so use the coaxial or optical out) and new smart TVs, streamers and computers all use digital out.

Not looking for an argument, just don't see the point of a pre-amp without a good DAC inside.
You just gave an example of needing more than two analog inputs.

Ajax

Forum Donor
You just gave an example of needing more than two analog inputs.
Sure, but how many people are going to have all three? In the real world people generally listen to digital radio and very few have a real to real tape deck. Anyway let's not waste our time on this - pre amps without SOTA DACs are not on my buy list.

Digi

Hi Digi,

Thanks for your reply. What are your thoughts on using a Topping Pre90 pre-amplifier with my current Parasound A21+ amplifier?

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Gigi,

If I'm not mistaken the Topping Pre90 doesn't have a DAC inside. Therefore what's the point unless you already have an excellent DAC to feed into it (and then onto active speakers or a power amp). To my way of thinking that is just adding an extra leg in the audio chain. If all your sources are analogue then go for it as it is an excellent piece of kit but if you also have digital (streamer, computer etc) then I can't see the point.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but how many people are going to have all three? In the real world people generally listen to digital radio and very few have a real to real tape deck. Anyway let's not waste our time on this - pre amps without SOTA DACs are not on my buy list.
I understand that it’s not for you, but that does not make them totally irrelevant. I currently use a Bryston pre-amp with an embedded DAC to which I connect a CD transport, digital source, a tuner and two turntables with separate pre-amps. It’s not a common setup or even a permanent one, but the preamp readily meets this need. I do believe I’m still a real person.

The Parasound pre-amp is made for a niche, but relevant, market.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. What are your thoughts on using a Topping Pre90 pre-amplifier with my current Parasound A21+ amplifier?
I’d be a bit more generous about this. The Topping would be completely transparent to any upstream device and would likely work well with the balanced Parasound amp. One of our own members gave it a very favorable review in a recent issue of Stereophile magazine.

Edited: Adding a link to the review.

Last edited:

Ajax

Forum Donor
I understand that it’s not for you, but that does not make them totally irrelevant. I currently use a Bryston pre-amp with an embedded DAC to which I connect a CD transport, digital source, a tuner and two turntables with separate pre-amps. It’s not a common setup or even a permanent one, but the preamp readily meets this need. I do believe I’m still a real person.

The Parasound pre-amp is made for a niche, but relevant, market.
2 turntables? Which ones?

Ajax

Forum Donor
VPI Traveler and Pioneer PLX-1000. Sutherland Insight and Bryston BP-1.5 phono preamps.
I don't know the models but my all time favourite piece of audio kit was my Linn Sondek turntable, which I purchased in London in 1983 while working there as an engineer and part time tennis coach, while on the "big trip" being an Australian.

xrqp

Forum Donor
I have a JC2 feeding a JC5 amp. My source is Auralic G2 to Chord TT2 (DAC) to JC2. I thought I could get rid of the JC2 by using the TT2 as DAC and preamp. But it did not sound as good as the JC2, so I kept the JC2.

pma

Major Contributor
This preamp has nice distortion spectrum, totally free of high order harmonics, that we can often see in circuits with strong negative feedback (those high order harmonics). The level of 3rd harmonic as shown in post #1 is totally inaudible. I think this is a good preamp and I would recommend it.

Last edited:

xrqp

Forum Donor
Is JC2 BP (or JC2) worth it for the used price of about $2,100 (I paid that in Feb 2020.) ? I am not sure. Probably worth close to that. I only use about 2 inputs. I thought the preamp in Chord TT2 would be as good or better, but it was noticeably worse. I don't understand why a preamp needs to cost so much.

Kawihornet

So amir's readings seem to be differnt from stereophils readings/review. Also if your in the market for a preamp this site is not great. According to Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps hes reviewed only 4 made the cut... So basically what Amir is saying is don't by hifi unless you want really cheap stuff.
Its an interesting bias that I have noticed. The funny thing is for what he paid for his spectrum analyzer he could have built a killer system. But his hobby is not audio its measurements.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A long, long, long way behind the current (!) & modern offerings. Thank you Amir from showing the real value of these "icons". You are at least x1000 times better off spending less and choosing after reading your measurements of Benchmark and Topping.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So amir's readings seem to be differnt from stereophils readings/review. Also if your in the market for a preamp this site is not great. According to Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps hes reviewed only 4 made the cut... So basically what Amir is saying is don't by hifi unless you want really cheap stuff.
Its an interesting bias that I have noticed. The funny thing is for what he paid for his spectrum analyzer he could have built a killer system. But his hobby is not audio its measurements.

Absolutely not true. I bought the excellent $3000 Benchmark HPA4 based upon Amir's review. Amir recommends well measuring preamps regardless of their price. I think it's fantastic to know I can buy a $600 preamp that will wipe the floor with many other much more expensive preamps. But, by all means, spend more for inferior equipment if that floats your boat.

Martin

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could you please tell us about your system? I commend Amir for showing us what measures well and what does not. His reviews are also extremely useful to guide my choice of what to buy in these day and age of Hi-Fi stores extinction. So far, I have been able to improve my music systems and my listening pleasure when I chose after reading his reviews. I have also been able to save a few $ as I cancelled Stereophile and The Absolute Sound subscriptions, old dinosaurs that hardly dare to spell negative results in their reviews of electronics.

Top Bottom