• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound JC2 Preamplifier Review

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So amir's readings seem to be differnt from stereophils readings/review. Also if your in the market for a preamp this site is not great. According to Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps hes reviewed only 4 made the cut... So basically what Amir is saying is don't by hifi unless you want really cheap stuff.
Its an interesting bias that I have noticed. The funny thing is for what he paid for his spectrum analyzer he could have built a killer system. But his hobby is not audio its measurements.
Amir uses a Mark Levinson Reference No 532 amplifier and Revel Salon 2 speakers in his main two channel system. He also has ML monoblocks. This is discussed elsewhere on the site. He’s obviously able to appreciate both low and high cost designs based on their performance.

xrqp

Forum Donor
So amir's readings seem to be differnt from stereophils readings/review. Also if your in the market for a preamp this site is not great. According to Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps hes reviewed only 4 made the cut... So basically what Amir is saying is don't by hifi unless you want really cheap stuff.
Its an interesting bias that I have noticed. The funny thing is for what he paid for his spectrum analyzer he could have built a killer system. But his hobby is not audio its measurements.
Your statement "Amir he only recommends preamps under $1000 and out of the 23 preamps he's reviewed only 4 made the cut" if true is useful to share. But all the rest you wrote seems wrong. What are the 4 that made the cut?

Narek

I just don't understand these tests. Do these tests assume that the one that performs better, sounds better? I went from Cambridge 851E to P6 and the change in sound was incredible. Better detail, warmer sound, deeper bass, wider soundstage. At the same time I plugged the Freya S into my system and it sounded dead again. So wtf do these measurements even mean?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just don't understand these tests. Do these tests assume that the one that performs better, sounds better? I went from Cambridge 851E to P6 and the change in sound was incredible. Better detail, warmer sound, deeper bass, wider soundstage. At the same time I plugged the Freya S into my system and it sounded dead again. So wtf do these measurements even mean?
Hard to say unless you have the measurements in front of you to compare. Sometimes it does seem you need an EE degree to correctly interpret how the measured results translate into audible output.

Narek

This description is typical for what a person would hear if they were comparing devices with two different output levels. Did you measure to ensure output voltage levels were identical?

Jim
I did not, however I was reaching higher db with the P5 at lower volume. Both connected through balanced out.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I did not, however I was reaching higher db with the P5 at lower volume. Both connected through balanced out.
[emphases added]

P5?
P6?
Typo?

I went through the 7 pages on this thread and was disappointed so many were judging the preamp based on specs. How many of you actually heard this preamp and was able to compare it other preamps? Specs are just a small part of how audio gear will perform.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I went through the 7 pages on this thread and was disappointed so many were judging the preamp based on specs. How many of you actually heard this preamp and was able to compare it other preamps? Specs are just a small part of how audio gear will perform.
The main quality of a preamp is to be neutral and silent with good volume management and good ergonomics......
If a preamp has a sound or a signature, it's because a wolf is hiding in the sheepfold.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A poorly measuring preamp cannot be redeemed by a high price.

To say it “sounds great” while measuring at or below average suggests more psychology is going on than engineering.

People can like and prefer whatever they want, but that shouldn’t come with a science endorsement that’s not warranted.

Faceless people claiming things with tests when we don't question how the tests were done, and how accurate are way it was tested. I'm an old guy and and I prefer the old days when real audiophile people with their real names were behind their statements in audio magazines each month.

Doing tests and providing a review without mentioning how it sounds and getting into listening to different types of music leaves me suspect. I'm not saying what this reviewer is saying is not true but everyone including an owner of the JC2 told me the preamp offers a ultra clean, exquisite detail and clarity to the music.

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Did not know it is about preferences. Thought the bloody boxes are about technics, physics and engineering. Preferences work for choosing fancy women bags.

D

Deleted member 21219

These measurements mean that the device is either working as it should or is not working as it should. The simplest description of "working as it should" is that deviations from linearity (inaccuracies) are below the threshold of hearing ... in some cases, far, far below the threshold of hearing.

Any assertion that subjective differences are real need to be verified by blind listening tests. In lieu of that, they are commonly dismissed due to confirmation bias. Note the necessary disciplines and regulations in the following video:

Here is an explanation of confirmation bias:

And there are more, if you wish to learn about them:

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Faceless people claiming things with tests when we don't question how the tests were done, and how accurate are way it was tested. I'm an old guy and and I prefer the old days when real audiophile people with their real names were behind their statements in audio magazines each month.

Doing tests and providing a review without mentioning how it sounds and getting into listening to different types of music leaves me suspect. I'm not saying what this reviewer is saying is not true but everyone including an owner of the JC2 told me the preamp offers a ultra clean, exquisite detail and clarity to the music.
As you appear to be new to ASR, I’ll assume that you are unfamiliar with the site. Amir is not exactly faceless or anonymous. As this is not a print medium, attributions and qualifications are done differently here. Here is more about the reviewer:

ASR is a science and measurement based site; it does not put an emphasis on subjective judgments. You would be better served by the many other subjective sites out there to get opinions about how this electronic component sounds.

The mantra around here is that good measurements are a requiem for transparent audio performance and that price does not necessarily correlate to performance.

xrqp

Forum Donor
I listened to this JC2 preamp for about 2 years, mostly with the JC5 amp. I thought it sounded very good, relative to what I have heard thru my life. The Chord Hugo TT2 was supposed to be a good preamp plus DAC, but when I tried it during the time I had the JC2, it sounded inferior, so I went back to JC2. I like the JC2 looks, the volume control works very smooth and at the right rate of change for me. I now use the DM7 DAC as DAC and Preamp, and the volume control is not good - you must point the remote more precisely, and if you tap it, it goes too slow, and if you hold it, it goes too fast. Same volume control problems with the Topping A70 Pro, which truly is a preamp and I have used briefly lately. The JC2 is good looking, has nice indicator lights, lots of inputs and outputs. One negative is that it is large, which is why I hoped to replace it with the TT2.

I think the test results here at ASR, in general, are superb info for comparison shopping. It takes time and experience to figure out how to interpret that data, and after many years, I am still not good at it, so your point is well taken. Some, who are experienced with test results, might agree that going beyond the specs of the JC2 becomes difficult to hear. The DM7 and A70 Pro have much better sinad, but to me sound equally as good as the JC2.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s a great point: an average measuring preamp and a higher spec one may not sound audibly different.

When the difference in THD+N is 0.002% versus 0.0002%, the difference may not be audible, especially given all the other factors influencing what we hear in a particular setting.

I’d just say that you probably shouldn’t have to pay more for the former performance versus the latter, unless there are other highly compelling features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom