• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw Model 7140 7 Channel Amplifier Review

D

Deleted member 2944

I did use the designated channels. As to doing more tests, it all depends on how fond I am of going to a back doctor after lifting it one more time....
I suggest to move onto your next test unit and not peril your back. BTW, this is one of the light weight ATI amplifiers. I had an AT6012 amplifier for a few years and it required careful thought when moving so-as not to possibly incur injury. :)

Dave.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATI also builds multi-channel amps using Hypex Class D modules & heavy linear power supplies with lots of filter caps. I'd like to see how those compare to the Hypex based amps with SMPS.

"With rated distortion below 0.05% and signal-to-noise ratio of 123 dB"

https://www.ati-amp.com/AT52XNC.php

If only @amirm could get a hold of one of these ;)

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite close indeed, looks like a downsized version of this, which BTW and FWIW is described as extra-silent in an Audioholics subjective review :

image_preview2

It may be subjective but this individual is of the highest caliber :p :)

Full discloser, this amp had custom wound transformers which made them extremely quiet but, perhaps, more susceptible to power line contamination. It hummed horribly when there was a Plasma on the same circuit but all that went away when the display was upgrade to an LG OLED.

- Rich

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is the crosstalk measurements:

Outlaw Model 7140 7 channel Power Amplifier Crosstalk Audio Measurements.png

I started with Right channel as reference and worked my way to the right. One would expect crosstalk to keep getting better which it did. But the best performance was from Right surround which was in the middle. I tested it twice and got the same outcome.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And here is performance of two other channels versus the Left and Right I tested before:

Outlaw Model 7140 7 channel Power Amplifier Power into 4 ohm Center and Right Surround Audio M...png

While there is some difference (blue curves) they are really not consequential given the change in condition of the unit.

audimus

Based on just the measurements above, I would relabel the channels for use at home as (reading from the back)

R RS LS L RR LR C

or to keep it related to speaker positions

R RR RS C LS LR L

Whether such optimizations would help audibly, don’t know. Wouldn’t hurt.

Based on topology, in the worst case, I would have expected the ones closer to the mains wiring and power supply on the right side to be the noisiest. IF there was an issue.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
If only @amirm could get a hold of one of these ;)

- Rich

Personally, I have a preference for linear supplies because I think they're more reliable. Though, not sure how they compare to Hypex amps with Hypex SMPS.

dc655321

Major Contributor
And here is performance of two other channels versus the Left and Right I tested before:

View attachment 37991

While there is some difference (blue curves) they are really not consequential given the change in condition of the unit.

Thanks. Cheers to curiosity and evidence.
Hope your back was not put out in the process.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is the crosstalk measurements:

View attachment 37990

I started with Right channel as reference and worked my way to the right. One would expect crosstalk to keep getting better which it did. But the best performance was from Right surround which was in the middle. I tested it twice and got the same outcome.

Many thanks for doing this Amir - results are what I would have expected - but great to have it confirmed.

Now you just need to test the multichannel SMPS class D amps to see how they behave.....they are considerably lighter....:)

I agree with @dreite that measuring just a couple of channels probably reflects what is happening in a real world scenario - but these amps are usually advertised and specced as "all channels driven." Therefore are we not changing the goalposts if we are only testing for a couple of channels rather than how the amplifier is marketed?

Top Bottom