• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw Model 7140 7 Channel Amplifier Review

audimus

This was on my list of amps, and one by one, that list keeps getting shorter. I think only Arcam and Monolith are left.

Not sure why these measurements should disqualify it from consideration. It is at the top end of the multi-channel amps measured so far (comparing it to every amp regardless of power or number of channels in a single table can be misleading). While the numbers aren’t low, there aren’t any bad surprises or gotchas that one might suspect of being negatively audible. And they don’t resort to the kind of marketing that would make people want to throw rocks at them for overhyping. Their web site still looks like something done by an intern from CraigsList. Their customer service is known to be good.

A lot of people I know use these lower end outlaws as the first upgrade from the mass market AVRs that have a pre out to get more impact for HT and to buy lower end AVRs for the front end as technology keeps changing fast. People who are not going to plunk down multiple thousands of dollars like many here. And so this becomes more cost effective than getting on the D&M product cycle treadmill.

This can do more than what the lower end AVR amps are able to do especially for less than 8 ohms speakers which also keeps the AVRs running cooler. Have not heard any complaints about sound and it doesn’t break the bank which is the best part. They were once thought of as what NAD would/should have been by people who got disappointed with NAD.

Unfortunately, market realities seem to have made the company change a bit from the earlier focus of mid performance at the lower end of the cost spectrum without a huge marketing spend (this one is from that era). The newer off-shored low-end seem a bit too compromised to keep the costs low and then they have the $2k+ range (probably all ATI) OEMed versions focusing on high power which aren’t really good value items with plenty of competition.

Their new 976 pre/pro at $1000 level would be interesting to test. Especially for consideration as a step up from the midrange AVRs into separates for about the same price as a mid-level AVR. The main downside is not incorporating any room correction.

Last edited:

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
No, I can’t say for sure, but it looks almost identical to ATI amps (...)

Quite close indeed, looks like a downsized version of this, which BTW and FWIW is described as extra-silent in an Audioholics subjective review :

image_preview2

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Glad to see you include the twin tone IMD at 19&20 khz.

Now I'm going to raise an issue. Frequency response......good enough???.............I doubt it. I believe with a truly flat amp, you'd be able to abx this easily. Yes it isn't much, and it is mostly at extremes, but it droops the entire upper octave. In close short comparisons I've found that droop easy to hear on music even though my hearing probably stops at 15 khz now days. I think we are obsessing over SINAD numbers that aren't important with music while glossing over minor, but audible FR issues that would give one device a bit of character vs another. And that is before we connect it to a complex speaker load.

Which btw, any progress on a more complex speaker load to test power amps with?
The droop actually starts at ~5 kHz, so it's even worse than you say. That would definitely be audible compared with a flat FR.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Geez, didn’t know they sell 4 different 7ch amp models:

• 7000X ($950): 130W 8ohm <0.03% THD (FTC parameters for THD)
• 7700 ($2500): 200W 8ohm <0.03% THD (FTC)
• 7220 ($2800): 220W 8ohm <0.07% THD (also 5dB better S/N than 7700)
• 7900 ($5000): 300W 8ohm <0.05% THD (same S/N as 7700)

7ch Competitors:
• Emotiva A-700 ($630): 80W 8ohm <0.1% THD (Stereophile has measured high HF IMD in other models).

• Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 ($2100): 200W <0.1% THD (same concern of IMD)

• Monoprice Monolith 7ch ($1600): 200W 8ohm <0.03% THD (FTC)

• ATI AT527NC ($4200): 200W 8ohm <0.03% THD (FTC)

digicidal

Major Contributor
This was on my list of amps, and one by one, that list keeps getting shorter. I think only Arcam and Monolith are left.
I presume the mono Outlaws would perform similarly?
I was hoping to use an amp(s) to power the front three for both HT and music.
Thanks for testing @amirm
Although it's purely conjecture on my part, but at a guess the monos would be a little bit better - since the channels aren't all crammed together and sharing the same large PS. Since there should be more room in each chassis there could possibly be more shielding/space separating power/signal sections? Obviously no way to know for sure unless tested - but that would be my guess. Don't know that the monos are even designed the same at all - so they could easily be completely different and far better or worse than this unit.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's fairly disappointing for an ATI-built amp -- the ATI amps that Siegfried Linkwitz measured were quite a bit better. This raises the question about whether the OEM amps that ATI provides for the Monoprice Monolith lineup also measure like this.

I love that you were able to do the 32-tone IMD measurement for this though.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for this @amirm!

It's nice to see another multi-channel amp tested as I think quite a few of us here use them for active systems.

If you still have the amp I wonder if it would be possible to do a cross-talk measurement or if it's gone back to its owner if you could do cross-talk measurements for any future multi-channel amp tests. Also, some all channels driven tests would be nice to see, especially if the amp is using a shared power supply.

I have a pair of Nakamichi AVP1 (same as this now discontinued Emotiva tested at Audioholics, but with balanced inputs). At £499 they were a bargain in the UK, but crosstalk between channels was one of the weakest areas of this amp in Audioholics' measurements.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Also, some all channels driven tests would be nice to see, especially if the amp is using a shared power supply.

This.
No one buys a > 2 channel device to use 1 or 2 channels.
@amirm do you have any way to test all channels driven?
Even over a portion of the power range may be informative (eg. up to 10W/ch).

Lotus97

any chance you can do Emotiva amps in the future? I am interested in basx 5175 model, it is a 5 channel amp but i want to use it in stereo mode as it ouputs 175w per channel x 2, not bad for $839.

m8o

Forum Donor
Well, this was disappointing. Almost bought one of them a while back. I doubt however, any amp I have is much better. Lol

D

Deleted member 2944

This.
Actually, in HT usage, you pretty much are using just 2 or 3 channels. Limited information in surround channels that is probably not anywhere near full range. I think power-sharing on a common transformer is a pretty good way to go with these HT amps. Also, the ATI amps have multiple secondaries on their transformers.

Even in strictly audio usage scenario, these amplifiers would be used in active-crossover-ed configurations where bandwidth limiting is used.

I can't think of any (real world) implementation where all seven channels would be used in a full-range scheme.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lotus97

Well, this was disappointing. Almost bought one of them a while back. I doubt however, any amp I have is much better. Lol

I heard amps from Hegel and Rotel are pretty nice. I own Anthem MCA525 right now and i like it alot so far, also curious how it would measure if amir put one to test.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Actually, in HT usage, you pretty much are using just 2 or 3 channels. Limited information in surround channels that is probably not anywhere near full range. I think power-sharing on a common transformer is a pretty good way to go with these HT amps.

Even in strictly audio usage scenario, these amplifiers would be used in active-crossover-ed configurations where bandwidth limiting is used.

can't think of any (real world) implementation where all seven channels would be used in a full-range scheme.

I'm interested in your "strictly audio scenario".
It is true that all 7 channels may not be equally drawn upon given power requirements across typical audio spectra.
But, given the scenario of a set of 3-way speakers with ~85dB/W, 8 Ohm drivers, corner frequencies of 100Hz and 1500Hz, I would still like to know exactly how these multi-channel amps cope.

Back of the envelope calcs and intuition say, "Nothing to worry about".
But I'd still like to know.

Lotus97

all UPS workers that I know are into audio, they should deliver stuff to him free of charge.

D

Deleted member 2944

I'm interested in your "strictly audio scenario".
It is true that all 7 channels may not be equally drawn upon given power requirements across typical audio spectra.
But, given the scenario of a set of 3-way speakers with ~85dB/W, 8 Ohm drivers, corner frequencies of 100Hz and 1500Hz, I would still like to know exactly how these multi-channel amps cope.

Back of the envelope calcs and intuition say, "Nothing to worry about".
But I'd still like to know.
Your example would be a typical scheme.
A three-way system with passive, high-level crossover would consume X-amount of power using two power amplifier channels.
If you reconfigured the speaker with line-level crossovers (of the same slopes) and utilized six amplifier channels, the speaker itself would still consume the same X-amount of power. (Power distribution and bandwidth-limiting at work.)

That said, these multi-channel amplifiers should live up to their advertised ratings. Whether it be two channels in use or X channels in use.
Amir will need some extra dummy loads to properly test this aspect. :)

Dave.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir!
VERY Timely - I just received what I think is the 5 ch variant of this amp, previously also (apparently) offered by Outlaw and perhaps Carver.
The one I bought:
https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/5-channel-amp-180w-osd-audio-xa5180.html
The Outlaw variant:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000

This amp replaces a perfectly functional Emotiva UPA-500 for surround duty - for the simple reason that it is a (net) cheaper and simpler route to having balanced inputs (as well as unbal, in this case) than buying 5 XLR baluns adapters for the Emo!
Certainly the near 80lb shipping weight and disc surgery is a bad combination - I dang near dropped the thing getting it out of the box.
It was however well packed, shipped quickly, delivered without any dropping or damage, and appears to be sturdily built.

I have no idea whether it's better or worse than the smaller Emo it replaces, but is rated for more power, and about the same listed specs, such as they are.
Since these drive relatively inefficient small surround speakers (GoldenEar SS3s), I'm not too concerned about not having high end performance (at 10x? the cost?), or less than perfect bass response!!
How does it sound? Like an amp. :)
Maybe someday Ncores will come down into my price range, but for now, this seems like a decent deal, and certainly better than an un-warrantied, amateur shipped, used Ebay purchase, with unknown history...esp for under $400.

Anyhow, thanks for confirming my 'suspicions' about performance...maybe.

I see some differences between the 5ch versions and your 7 chan one, and my understanding was that these were both made in China.
Outlaw
View attachment 37911
OSD:
View attachment 37912

The Outlaw 7140 is reported to be ATI built.
The Outlaw 5000 and 7000 are not built by ATI. ATI puts caps on each channel and the 5000/7000 use a separate board.

- Rich

audimus

The droop actually starts at ~5 kHz, so it's even worse than you say. That would definitely be audible compared with a flat FR.

Have done a DBT to prove this as required of all listening reports on this site? :)

How many dBs of droop necessary before it becomes audible?

Don't know that the monos are even designed the same at all - so they could easily be completely different and far better or worse than this unit.

Outlaw uses different designs and OEMs across their product line. Only similar model numbers are built similar.

That's fairly disappointing for an ATI-built amp -- the ATI amps that Siegfried Linkwitz measured were quite a bit better. This raises the question about whether the OEM amps that ATI provides for the Monoprice Monolith lineup also measure like this.

Like any OEM, ATI produces amps to specs from the vendor within cost and other parameters. And those cost parameters are not necessarily correlated with what the seller retails them at (depends on their margin requirements). so, it is difficult to generalize good/bad characteristics across labels.

This.

I think this has already been explained several times by Amir. All channels driven in multi-channel amps are not a good indicator of its capabilities in real use since surround systems do not have equal levels of content in all channels. Two channels driven to clipping should be more informative of power/current capability than low power across all channels. But, it would be useful to measure noise profiles in each channel though since many multi-channel units are known to be good in some channels more than others based on shielding, wiring lengths, etc.

The Outlaw 7140 is reported to be ATI built.
The Outlaw 5000 and 7000 are not built by ATI. ATI puts caps on each channel and the 5000/7000 use a separate board.
- Rich
In the current line up, the lower-end non-balanced units are reportedly off-shored units not from ATI while the balanced units are. Perhaps ATI prices went up to not have ATI units at lower price points like earlier.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you still have the amp I wonder if it would be possible to do a cross-talk measurement or if it's gone back to its owner if you could do cross-talk measurements for any future multi-channel amp tests.
Which channel against which?

Top Bottom