• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Out for a few more days

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So sorry to hear this, I hope none of the audio equipment was damaged..... although it is your house. Maybe the house itself is a piece of audio equipment!
I wish you the best of luck with getting your house fixed. Times are tough now and it is extremely hard to find help with anything. I have had my pool light out for over a year now and haven't had luck with finding a person to come fix it. People keep saying they will come over and then just dodge the entire situation.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Best of luck! For what it’s worth, I had a bad flooding problem with my holiday house (heavy rain made a lake on the side), I built a proper, deep French trench with two large corrugated pipes, and it worked.
Hope all get better soon Amir, a French Drain is indeed the solution. Just be sure to install a backup pump system (battery or water-based), because you know when folks lose utility power, there might be some water involved.

capslock

A friend of mine once changed the engine in his VW bus in a supermarket parking lot in Vermont, during zero degree weather. So even when he was done, there was no heat because VW engines are air cooled.
The saying was that one cannot fault the heating vent motor for being a little noisy as it has a side job of powering the damn car.

While we are at it: what is the only plane to have five APUs (auxilliary power units)? - The BAe 146 regional jet (aka Avro RJ).

capslock

Thankfully we do have a back-up generator (35 KW unit run by a GM industrial engine). The water sensors all operate locally with battery and have sirens. So we are good to go if mains power is lost. But thanks for reminding me about this. I have to find an outlet that is on generator when power goes out (half the house is, half is not).
35 kW?!? Are you running a server farm? We have a heat pump that draws 1.4 kW peak for hot water and heating (about 3400 sq. ft. inside the thermal hull), LED lighting, fans, refrigerators, electronics good for maybe 300 W continuous power, and on top of that, of course, stove, oven, washing mashine, dishwasher, which all draw 3 - 5 kW peak, but you can decide not to run more than two of those at a time.

antennaguru

Sorry to hear this and hope your wife fully recovers, and that you are also able to get a lasting solution installed.

FWIW, we lived in a previous house for 18 years in NY Metro that experienced springtime basement flooding. The house although at the crest of a big hill had a very active underground spring. A system was installed where they dug a sump pit in one corner of the basement, and also dug a trench around the entire perimeter of the basement on the inside of the walls, and yet another trench diagonally across the basement floor to the sump pit. Perforated drainage pipe has laid in the trenches to carry water to the sump pit, and then the pipes were covered over with crushed drainage stone. Finally the whole system was topped off with an inch or two of cosmetic concrete. They left about an inch of drainage stone visible against the walls in case water ever came in through a wall, so it could run down into the trench. They called it a floating slab solution. Every spring that sump pump ran extensively, moving water out from below the basement before it ever reached the level of the basement floor. The contractor provided a lifetime no-water guarantee. The solution required a lot of work, but it permanently resolved the issue.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
FWIW, we lived in a previous house for 18 years in NY Metro that experienced springtime basement flooding. The house although at the crest of a big hill had a very active underground spring. A system was installed where they dug a sump pit in one corner of the basement, and also dug a trench around the entire perimeter of the basement on the inside of the walls, and yet another trench diagonally across the basement floor to the sump pit. Perforated drainage pipe has laid in the trenches to carry water to the sump pit, and then the pipes were covered over with crushed drainage stone. Finally the whole system was topped off with an inch or two of cosmetic concrete. They left about an inch of drainage stone visible against the walls in case water ever came in through a wall, so it could run down into the trench. They called it a floating slab solution. Every spring that sump pump ran extensively, moving water out from below the basement before it ever reached the level of the basement floor. The contractor provided a lifetime no-water guarantee. The solution required a lot of work, but it permanently resolved the issue.
This is often a good approach when exterior excavation for installation of proper waterproofing and foundation drainage is not feasible. You can install stud walls inboard of the perimeter gravel if you want to finish the space. Poly sheeting can be hung on the interior face of the foundation wall to help ensure any water coming through the walls drips down to the slot drain. It's a good idea to vent the cavity to minimize potential for mold.

Please note this is mainly for CMU, brick and stone foundations. For cast-in-place concrete leaks are limited to cracks, control joints and wall penetrations, and can be dealt with using urethane gel injection.

ririt

Bit of an update. Yesterday was the first day where I only had 1 hour of manual pumping to do. That was just a small area. The rest of carpets appear to be dry to touch. Multiple blowers and dehumidifiers are doing their thing. No sign of mildew or anything yet.

That was the good news. The bad news is that my wife had gotten better enough to start hauling her stuff upstairs. Then last night she popped her right knee and is pain and limping because of that. :(

Then this morning I go and return the Carver amp to the owner. Go to turn the car on after I gave him the amp and it won't start! Knew the battery was getting weak as I could tell it was not starting as fast it normally does. But with all going on, I figured I could wait a bit. But no. Fortunately I was meeting Paul in front of auto part store. Went inside, got tools and a new battery. Replaced the thing but it was a pain to deal with. There was just not enough room to pull the battery up straight. Tilted it, it fell on my finger and pinched the skin. Managed to change it and get home with a sore finger.

I wonder what more can be piled on before we are through this....
Amir, any black cat around…? I hope that you will get back soon on a positive trend…
all the best

fabius

Belated good thoughts heading your way from the UK. I hope things a drying out well, your wife is healing, and your luck turns around.

Flak

Industry Insider
The contractor provided a lifetime no-water guarantee.
Nice, long-lasting solutions are great but I wonder... lifetime of the contractor or of the house owner?
:) :)

Best wishes to Amir's wife and Amir!!

Last edited:

antennaguru

Nice, long-lasting solutions are great but I wonder... lifetime of the contractor or of the house owner?
:) :)

Best wishes to Amir's wife and Amir!!
That basement solution worked perfectly for the "lifetime" that we owned that house - another 17 Spring seasons! The no-water guarantee was actually transferable to the home buyers when we sold, and it was a selling point for that house because the contractor was still in business - but then that was over 20 years ago. Frankly the only thing that could go wrong with the system was the sump pump wearing out, and that was easily replaceable.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The world is still conspiring to get us down....

Yesterday one of our dog started to yelp really bad the moment we toucher her right ear. Rush her to the vet before they close. $250 later, she is has medication for her ear and is feeling fine. A few hours later, close to midnight, I take out the dogs one last time before going to bed and I hear this sound you don't want to hear from a pump: "hmmmm." Sounded like a ceased bearing. :( Put on boots and go in the muck and mud and check the pump in the dark. Seems OK but no water is being pumped and the new tank is starting to fill. Oh crap....

On a hunch, I separate the two hoses that led from it and water gushes out. At first I think a rock had gotten into the second section until I look down further and notice I had parked on the hose! The hose they used was flexible enough that it had closed completely when the tire pinched it. Drove the car off it and the abused pump started to work again as if nothing had happened.

If I had not noticed the above, we would have had another flood. Imagine that!

This morning, I hear the machinery thinking they are going to finish the job so we are not dealing with the temporary pump and garden hose. Nope. They drove off their excavator and disappeared! :(

On positive front, carpets feel dry to touch in the whole floor. No sign of mildew. Fans and dehumidifier going non-stop.

ririt

Yesterday one of our dog started to yelp really bad the moment we toucher her right ear. Rush her to the vet before they close. $250 later, she is has medication for her ear and is feeling fine. A few hours later, close to midnight, I take out the dogs one last time before going to bed and I hear this sound you don't want to hear from a pump: "hmmmm." Sounded like a ceased bearing. :( Put on boots and go in the muck and mud and check the pump in the dark. Seems OK but no water is being pumped and the new tank is starting to fill. Oh crap....

On a hunch, I separate the two hoses that led from it and water gushes out. At first I think a rock had gotten into the second section until I look down further and notice I had parked on the hose! The hose they used was flexible enough that it had closed completely when the tire pinched it. Drove the car off it and the abused pump started to work again as if nothing had happened.

This morning, I hear the machinery thinking they are going to finish the job so we are not dealing with the temporary pump and garden hose. Nope. They drove off their excavator and disappeared! :(

On positive front, carpets feel dry to touch in the whole floor. No sign of mildew. Fans and dehumidifier going non-stop.
Amir it looks like not a single black cat but an army of them are around you!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

It probably more conspiracy related than superstition. ;)

Vict0r

It's a vengeful Carver, blocking your hoses and messing with your dogs! :p

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I suppose saying "when it rains it pours" would be in bad form...

Hope this nightmare ends soon, Amir!

redjr

Wow, you've had your share of water woes. Water can be a sinister menace to a basement when it gets inside. Sure hope you get things dried out soon. I've been fortunate over the years with homes and basements. Most all dry. Hang in there. Appreciate what you do here a by
providing very insightful measurements.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hello you all. You probably noticed I have been away from the forum a few days. Last Thursday the finished lower floor of our house which is below grade developed a leak. This quickly became a massive flood, overwhelming our efforts to keep it at bay. To make matters worse, near midnight, my wife slipped on the wet stairs and badly injured her back side and elbow. So we spent the next day at the hospital and thankfully, nothing was broken but she has been in serious pain (but getting better). We had two days of dry weather which gave us a chance to repack things of value but then the rain came and multiple flooding with it. We would spend 12 to 16 hours pumping and drying out the floor, only to get fully overwhelmed in a matter of hours.

I have bought every pump and gadget you can think of but none of them are effective with shallow flooding of quarter of an inch of water (seeping through the walls). Actually it has been so bad that in the time it takes me to go to the hardware store to buy the next thing, the house been flooding completely again! No restoration company would come to dry the house because the leak is still there. So stuck doing it all ourselves.

My builder called a crew with excavators and such over the weekend and they showed up Monday, only to make it worse and leave. :( So last two days has been more rounds of hell. I was drying and pumping the house for nearly 20 hours straight last nigh as the non-stop rain caused it to flood again and again! A more competent crew is here and is building a much more extensive water management system. Hopefully they get it done and it works.

Getting help of course in this environment is next to impossible. Had a great handyman I had used on other projects but he wouldn't come over to help either.

Anyway, starting tomorrow it is supposed to dry out for a few days so maybe this insanity will be over by the weekend.

I have only been able to drop in the forum for a minute or two per day. Just so much to do.
This is very much how it was being a Microsoft customer in the early 90s ...

Over 300 likes, almost worth it !

Your on a incline , but a good deal above the lake , ìm kinda shocked your having these issues and really feel for you knowing what you went through getting it built in first place .

It's alien to me as a issue , its so unlikely to happen in the UK unless you have a very old build with historical issues . You just wouldn't get planning ime .

Get some forum members over to man the pumps , a king dosnt lift himself aloft ffs. I'm sure there's enough hot-air here to blow everything dry

X

Top Bottom