• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonos Roam bluetooth problems

Multicore

Major Contributor
I got a Sonos Roam a few days ago. I like the size, weight and sound very much and on that basis would like to keep it but I got big trouble with the bluetooth connection.

So far I have trouble getting the bluetooth audio connection to work almost every time I turn it on. In two days:
  • One time I turned it on it flashed the green status LED which apparently requires starting over the full setup, so I did that.
  • It always takes 20 or 30 second to turn on and connect to bluetooth.
  • Three times it turned on and after it connect to bluetooth, the phone indicated was up connection but there's no sound.
  • The last time this happened, no amount of turning the Roam off and on again and turning bluetooth off and on got the audio.
I'll return it if I can't get this sorted out. Can anyone help me here?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can't give you any tips unfortunately.
Most likely the WiFi capabilities built into the Roam make it a more finicky system to operate.

If you can't get the Roam to work properly, then here's a list of Bluetooth speakers with a similar form factor:

Check out Oluv's Gadgets and Alan Ross Reviews for sound comparisons.

Last edited:
OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
I can't give you any tips unfortunately.
Most likely the WiFi capabilities built into the Roam make it a more finicky system to operate.

If you can't get the Roam to work properly, then here's a list of Bluetooth speakers with a similar form factor:

Check out Oluv's Gadgets and Alan Ross Reviews for sound comparisons.
Thanks @staticV3 , you're always good for lists of product. Oluv is good. Haven't had time to deal look at Alan Ross yet.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
It seems Sonos is unsuitable for me. It's dependence on WiFi and an app on my phone turns it into a IT support project too often.

So I got a Tribit Stormbox Micro 2 (Oluv and my wife agreed it was the right thing) and it's really great BUT...

When it puts itself to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity it makes a loud chime to wake me up so I know it's going to sleep. Why does it want to wake me up for that? It's the exact thing I don't need when I've just got to sleep myself. What idiot thought that was a good feature? Let's just both go to sleep quietly, no?

Living with technology is such a mental struggle. I expend so much effort controlling myself to resist the urge to commit violence against the hardware that runs such catastrophically stupid software. All of this is because my old Bose Soundlink Mini 2 no longer charges.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I got a Tribit Stormbox Micro 2 and it's really great BUT...

When it puts itself to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity it makes a loud chime to wake me up so I know it's going to sleep. Why does it want to wake me up for that? It's the exact thing I don't need when I've just got to sleep myself. What idiot thought that was a good feature?
Did you ckeck the Settings tab in the Tribit App?
tribit_stormbox_micro_2_26.jpeg

There might be an option to disable system sounds.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
Did you ckeck the Settings tab in the Tribit App?
View attachment 345690

There might be an option to disable system sounds.
Yes. I can't find such an option. There is an option to disable "Auto Shutdown" and this may offer a work around, at the expense of it being on all night. That may be acceptable.

I also used the app to send a support request asking if there is a way to turn off that sound.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
I got a reply from Tribit support confirming that the only way to not get the loud auto-shutdown sound is to configure the device to not auto-shutdown.

Btw, I also learned that the correct pronunciation of the name Tribit is like ribit as demonstrated here

Top Bottom