• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ordered Perlisten s7t

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4708

For awhile I was debating MEGeithain 801K vs Genelec W371A + 8361A vs ATC SC150ASL.
They all fell through:
  • MEG are amazing (so I read) but they are pure unobtanium in California. Utilitarian aesthetics.
  • ATC are forbidden on this site (half kidding). Looks leave a lot to be desired - low WAF. Too old school in a day and age when controlled directivity is all the rage.
  • Genelec combo - too many wires. I have wire PTSD from my NHT XD 2.2 (4 for power, 4 for speakers, 4 between amp-preamp, etc. Never again!). Look ugly / utilitarian (subjectively that is).
The Perlisten S7T doesn't need subs, plays loud, and looks pretty cool. Can't argue with directivity and low distortion.
See https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/perlisten-s7t/conclusion
I am planning to also buy DSP for room correction in an integrated amp:
and call it a day.
Here is my original thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

From their tech sheet a sub wouldn't hurt
Will try first in my room - then I will know better. The room is pretty small. Subs introduce another problem - the integration with the mains. Again, let's see. In the Audioholics review (above) say they do not need one:
"The effects sounds of these monsters plus the epic music score sounded as good as if not better than any commercial cinema I have been to. The slug matches caused a palpable rumble, and every step from these beasts was felt as well as heard. The monsters’ roars managed to shake my sofa through the S7t speakers. Subwoofers were absolutely not needed or missed."

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Perlisten cost $7500 and the Genelecs cost around $30,000 so i don't understand your dilemma lol
Perlisten is 18k$ (up from 16k$) and Genelec 27k$ (the only one that kept prices down). Not sure what dilemma you're referring to - fewer boxes around, fewer wires, simpler setup. (IF a sub is not needed)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Perlisten is 18k$ (up from 16k$) and Genelec 27k$ (the only one that kept prices down). Not sure what dilemma you're referring to - fewer boxes around, fewer wires, simpler setup. (IF a sub is not needed)
Oops
They're 7,500$ each not a pair, sorry. What i meant was is that your different speakers with a lot of price difference.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Oops
They're 7,500$ each not a pair, sorry. What i meant was is that your different speakers with a lot of price difference.
After including DSP+ PRE + AMP (like Anthem above) the difference will not be as big. 18k$ speakers + 4.5k$ for Anthem means 22.5k$ vs 27k$ for Genelec - IF I don't need a sub.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will try first in my room - then I will know better. The room is pretty small.
The speaker should be sufficient for a small room and not too high sound pressure level demands.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, from your list this speaker has by far the lowest "maximum low frequency SPL".
The maximum displacement volume of the S7t is comparable to a 10'' CB subwoofer (with "typical" Xmax).

Have explained this in detail here.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

In the review the output seems to be 101db at 1 m including the lower region, with low distortion. If I’m not happy with that I’ll add a matching sub.
At the same level MEG 801 has more distortion in the lower region. I posted the graph from Stereoplay.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Anyone here remembers the Alpha from XTZ? Please look at this measurement at 89db (2 meters):
The drivers there are very expensive. At the time the distortion was so low it was called "absurdly low".
For that measurement, the reaction was:
"This is absurdly low. We are talking class-leading performance here. In fact, I don't even think these results are entirely accurate, as I suspect what was recorded was just the distortion in my amplifier as well as background noise. XTZ can pat themselves on the back for a well-engineered speaker in terms of non-linear distortion. "

The S7T has the same distortion level in db - NOT relative db at 96db!!! That is 7db higher output, the same distortion level (NOT relative db but the real dbs). Just think about it. S7T is truly spectacular.

lherrm

Being about to go for Genelec W371A+8351B (which you listened to and seemed to find fantastic but finally discarded), I'll be curious about your feedback on your Perlisten. Shame you won't be able to compare them side by side however.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Being about to go for Genelec W371A+8351B (which you listened and seemed to find fantastic but finally discarded), I'll be curious about your feedback on your Perlisten. Shame you won't be able to compare them side by side however.
Smile, Genelec W371A+8351B are SOTA.
I didn't choose them for highly subjective reasons - the number of wires, looks, big subwoofers, etc.
I'm not even qualified to compare the two. I just know they both measure well.
The Genelec are impressive, you will be happy.

lherrm

Regarding : "Genelec combo - too many wires."
I, on the contrary, find the cable routing to be quite simple and elegant when going digital :

1642495568521.png

1642495667338.png

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the review the output seems to be 101db at 1 m including the lower region, with low distortion. If I’m not happy with that I’ll add a matching sub.
At the same level MEG 801 has more distortion in the lower region.

You can no longer directly compare the S7t and ME 801 below 100Hz. The speakers are tuned too differently for that.
In addition, distortion measurements from different sources can only be compared to a very limited extent.

The ME 801 still has the average sound pressure level at 30Hz and an f3 of 26Hz (according to the magazine measurements). The rear slots help the speaker to a (sub) cardioid radiation behavior in the low frequency range.
1642495072287.png
Because of the fact that the slots, due to the radiation of the phase-inverted sound, cause cancellations, the woofer must make greater excursion (for the same on-axis SPL) in the frequency range below 100Hz than, for example, with a CB concept. As a result, the harmonic distortions also increase somewhat more in the frequency range in question.

In return, a modern 15'' woofer should have almost twice as much displacement volume (Sd 800-900cm², Xmax >=10mm) as the four 7'' woofers of the S7t, requires therefore only half as much excursion for the same sound pressure level if both speaker would have an identical concept (e.g. CB).

The tuning of the S7t, on the other hand, is completely different, designed for maximum sensitivity above 100Hz.

The S7t is about -8dB below the average sound pressure level of the speaker at 30Hz (f3 is about 49Hz) and would have to be boosted by about 8-9 dB via Linkwitz transform (plus HP) or PEQ for a fair comparison in this frequency range.
1642495751189.pngSee more details here.
Due to the cleverly chosen BR tuning frequency around 30Hz, the woofers of the S7t don't have to make much excursion in this frequency range, since the Helmholtz resonance provides 3-6dB more SPL than with a CB concept. For the same sound pressure level, if you halve the frequency from, say, 60Hz to 30Hz, you need four times the cone excursion. Therefore, a low tuning frequency often makes sense (and provides a good group delay in the frequency range above the tuning frequency).

This usually ensures that the harmonic distortion around the tuning frequency does not increase further or slower.

So, comparing the two speakers is not easy.
If you take 10% THD as the limit for maximum SPL in the low frequency range, for example, then both speakers could be on par, perhaps even with an advantage for the S7t (it depends on how much the cancellations by the slots, in the case of the ME 801, affect the on-axis FR) - for this comparison I have to revise my blanket statement from above.

But as I said, for brute home theater with noticeable low bass below 30Hz (what few users will need), an single S7t delivers less maximum SPL than a modern 10'' subwoofer - you should keep that in mind.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Congratulations! When are you supposed to get them? Will you please update this thread with your impressions, REW measurements if possible, anything else you would like to add?

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

• All else equals, "there is no replacement for displacement". Subs and big woofers displace more air. I am well aware of that - Perlisten S7T still obeys the physics. I may or may not buy a sub. I hope for music one is not needed.
  • I use this system in my house so "fewer wires" has meaning for me. To each his own. The way you should think about my choice is this: Revel 238BE vs Genelec W371 + 8351B. I chose the equivalent of Revel (Perlisten S7T) because it measures well and with a 1 box DSP+AMP makes for a very simple system. The Genelec makes for a complete, pro, SOTA, etc system but I choose a floorstanding speaker for simplicity.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't see how anyone can call daisy chaining all the speakers together anything resembling elegant.

It's bad enough with just a stereo pair and pretty horrendous once you get to 5.1, let alone Atmos...

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

I can't see how anyone can call daisy chaining all the speakers together anything resembling elegant.

It's bad enough with just a stereo pair and pretty horrendous once you get to 5.1, let alone Atmos...
One man who understands me...
I keep counting the wires. The configuration I'm planning for:
+ the Perlisten S7T.
  • 1 power cable for the DSP/DAC/AMP
  • speaker cables for the towers
This is simple. My current setup is crazy!!! I make no money off these speakers - they are for enjoyment only so they better fit nicely in my house. Nothing more than stereo for me. Maybe, just maybe I will add a big bad sub. I hope I don't need to do that for music.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Congratulations! When are you supposed to get them? Will you please update this thread with your impressions, REW measurements if possible, anything else you would like to add?
Just checked with my dealer. Allegedly I will get them next week. Will post pictures. I can't promise measurements - at least until I get the DSP unit. I am most curios too how well will they work in my room, after the DSP.

Top Bottom