• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ordered Perlisten s7t

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Geeech. Peeps here would die of surprise if you had ASR test those bad boy speakers! :D

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Forgot about that...
"Anthem's STR is a well-engineered amplifier offering high power and respectable measured performance.—John Atkinson"
Not sure how to read this... Stereophile rarely (if ever) will critique anything. The word choice points to average / so-and-so performance.

Nothing like the ASR index of reviews which lists gear from best to worst.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

I decided to order the Benchmark AHB2. Measurements were too good compared to the Anthem.
Now the plan is Benchmark AHB2 + miniDSP SHD for Dirac.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

This is going to take a while:
1. The Benchmark AHB2 is 4 weeks from being built. Add 2-3 days for shipping
2. The Perlisten S7T has not shipped yet
3. The MiniDSP SHD shipped yesterday

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Update:
1. The Benchmark AHB2 is still 4 weeks from being built. Add 2-3 days for shipping
2. The Perlisten S7T is coming late next week
3. The MiniDSP SHD arrived today

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

I think the Perlisten dealer misunderstood my order. I wanted a Perlisten S7T. He is sending me the cryogenic version of it; the truck is stuck in IL due to snow... :(

lherrm

I think the Perlisten dealer misunderstood my order. I wanted a Perlisten S7T. He is sending me the cryogenic version of it; the truck is stuck in IL due to snow... :(
Sorry about that. What's the cryogenic version ?

bo_knows

Will try first in my room - then I will know better. The room is pretty small. Subs introduce another problem - the integration with the mains. Again, let's see. In the Audioholics review (above) say they do not need one:
"The effects sounds of these monsters plus the epic music score sounded as good as if not better than any commercial cinema I have been to. The slug matches caused a palpable rumble, and every step from these beasts was felt as well as heard. The monsters’ roars managed to shake my sofa through the S7t speakers. Subwoofers were absolutely not needed or missed."
Why would you need a sub with these speakers in a smaller room? I doubt you will need one if you are only listening to two channels (stereo). Unless you are listening to rap, electronica, and pipe organs. LOL. Oh and by the way, congratulations!

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Sorry about that. What's the cryogenic version ?
I was joking - the "frozen" version. The speakers are stuck due to heavy snow.
Some snake oil cable manufacturers sell cryogenic treated cables.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

They arrived!
Lows:
One chipped base and misaligned holes for base plate screws.
Highs:
Everything else. The finish is excellent.

Attachments

• IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0849.JPG
    IMG_0849.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 277
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

I was able to assemble them with a bit of help. They are heavy and I'm not the weightlifter I used to be. The look of the grills is much nicer than expected. All I need to get started is an amplifier. I am getting a loaner tomorrow until the Benchmark arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 547

symphara

Best of luck with them!

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

This morning I got an amp (QUAD Artera Solus) and I've been listening to the S7T. (mini DSP SHD/QUAD Artera/ S7T)

I had low expectations to be frank. I have really good headphones (Stax 009/Senny HD 650/ Focal Elex/ etc). My previous speakers were rated class A by Stereophile and at the time one of the few with DEQX electronic crossover and active amplification: NHT XD 2.2. Now you can see why I was expecting to be like "Ok, the Perlisten S7T is good. Yawn."

A few random, subjective impressions.
  1. The sound is very precise, controlled. No comparison to anything I have listened to.
  2. Even with 75W amplifier, I did not have the courage/stomach to turn them all the way up. Too loud - and still very clear.
  3. The speakers seem to lock onto each other - cannot tell even with open eyes they are playing. The sound comes from between the speakers. This reminds me of 8361A/8351B. I can move on a 3 seat sofa without the soundstage collapsing in any way.
  4. Big sound - it controls the entire room.
  5. I ran through my preferred recordings from Stanley Clark / Pastorius / Jenna Mammina / Wagner (The Ring) / Yo-Yo Ma (Bach) - just breathtaking sound.
These are truly exciting speakers, with as much detail as my headphones (I know how this sounds), very dynamic, and something I was missing: a huge, rock-solid locked-down soundstage.
Very happy with my purchase. I was afraid it won't live up to expectations. I expected a "yawn" purchase and I am happy to be proven wrong.

Weeks ago I thought of getting in line for the latest Stax flagship headphones - I don't think so right now. Time will tell but I might be done spending on headphones.

Zedly

Forum Donor
How is the bass? The specs and measurements we've seen so far seem to indicate that the S7T rolls off a little higher than other speakers in that price range.

Larry B. Larabee

I was able to assemble them with a bit of help. They are heavy and I'm not the weightlifter I used to be. The look of the grills is much nicer than expected. All I need to get started is an amplifier. I am getting a loaner tomorrow until the Benchmark arrives.
I can't believe how lucky some of you guys are. You plop down your speakers 5 ft. apart right up against the wall in a small assymetric room and you're in heaven. I'm definitely doing something wrong.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

I can't believe how lucky some of you guys are. You plop down your speakers 5 ft. apart right up against the wall in a small assymetric room and you're in heaven. I'm definitely doing something wrong.

Close to 7 feet in between (moved them a bit from the above picture) and yes the room is asymmetric. However, I have a carpet, curtains, a big 3 seater sofa, etc. The measurements I've taken don't look bad at all. However, I made a rooky mistake hence I have to start all over - the volume was too low.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

How is the bass? The specs and measurements we've seen so far seem to indicate that the S7T rolls off a little higher than other speakers in that price range.

I like bass guitar and bass in general. Stanley Clark sounds great. Mingus sounds fantastic. This is what happens when the builder posts correct specs. Yes, there is a roll-off. In a room, you have gain in the bass - plenty of it.
The S7T is no different than any of the Revel in this respect. For whatever reason people don't read the specs for what they are (bass before room gain).
Revel F328Be - 24Hz (-10dB); 26Hz (-6dB); 35Hz (-3dB)
Perlisten S7T - 22Hz (-10db)

Everett T

Forum Donor
I like bass guitar and bass in general. Stanley Clark sounds great. Mingus sounds fantastic. This is what happens when the builder posts correct specs. Yes, there is a roll-off. In a room, you have gain in the bass - plenty of it.
The S7T is no different than any of the Revel in this respect. For whatever reason people don't read the specs for what they are.
Revel F328Be - 24Hz (-10dB); 26Hz (-6dB); 35Hz (-3dB)
Perlisten S7T - 22Hz (-10db)
Great to see another satisfied owner. I'm still deciding about the S4s currently and the more of these positive reviews that keep coming is making it easier.

Top Bottom