• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ordered Perlisten s7t

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This morning I got an amp (QUAD Artera Solus) and I've been listening to the S7T. (mini DSP SHD/QUAD Artera/ S7T)

I had low expectations to be frank. I have really good headphones (Stax 009/Senny HD 650/ Focal Elex/ etc). My previous speakers were rated class A by Stereophile and at the time one of the few with DEQX electronic crossover and active amplification: NHT XD 2.2. Now you can see why I was expecting to be like "Ok, the Perlisten S7T is good. Yawn."

A few random, subjective impressions.
  1. The sound is very precise, controlled. No comparison to anything I have listened to.
  2. Even with 75W amplifier, I did not have the courage/stomach to turn them all the way up. Too loud - and still very clear.
  3. The speakers seem to lock onto each other - cannot tell even with open eyes they are playing. The sound comes from between the speakers. This reminds me of 8361A/8351B. I can move on a 3 seat sofa without the soundstage collapsing in any way.
  4. Big sound - it controls the entire room.
  5. I ran through my preferred recordings from Stanley Clark / Pastorius / Jenna Mammina / Wagner (The Ring) / Yo-Yo Ma (Bach) - just breathtaking sound.
These are truly exciting speakers, with as much detail as my headphones (I know how this sounds), very dynamic, and something I was missing: a huge, rock-solid locked-down soundstage.
Very happy with my purchase. I was afraid it won't live up to expectations. I expected a "yawn" purchase and I am happy to be proven wrong.

Weeks ago I thought of getting in line for the latest Stax flagship headphones - I don't think so right now. Time will tell but I might be done spending on headphones.
Would you say they're better than the Genelecs?
Thanks.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Would you say they're better than the Genelecs?
Thanks.
Without a blind A/B comparison? I can't.
Subjectively I think the mid and tweeter in Perlisten have more detail.
I also believe that measurements tell Perlisten S7T plays louder. They are more expensive too.
Now Genelec "The Ones" are SOTA. Hard to tell.
If you plan to buy the 8351B/8361A - you will be happy. I have listened to them a couple of times. Impressive to say the least. Probably (???) even better soundstage than Perlisten S7T.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfx

Forum Donor
Does anyone know of detailed measurements for the Anthem amp with room correction? https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=specs
I have 3 candidates: MiniDSP SHD Power, Naim M33 and the Anthem. Otherwise I have to go with separates and more cables.
I'd like to do justice to the speakers - any opinions?
I see you ordered the Benchmark what a great choice. I have these and wound up using an AVP and hypex nc1200 monoblocks to drive mine. ATI class d amps were all on unknown backorder for ever as was Benchmark. I got mine from March audio instead.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

I see you ordered the Benchmark what a great choice. I have these and wound up using an AVP and hypex nc1200 monoblocks to drive mine. ATI class d amps were all on unknown backorder for ever as was Benchmark. I got mine from March audio instead.
Are you sure 2x1200W is enough? :) The hypex nc1200 specs look good.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Are you sure 2x1200W is enough? :) The hypex nc1200 specs look good.
Heh, yes but they were the only thing available within a 3 week wait. But it is 700W @ 4ohm. Plus Alan March knows his product and produces excellent builds. I would have preferred either of the US builds but thanks to COVID those were parked in “unknown.”

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Updates:
The mid / tweeter are wicked. There is no ringing, not even the slightest. No boxiness, no weird resonances. All instruments sound like they are supposed to - no cacophonies no matter how complex the music is.
The speakers have a sense of power and dynamics second to no other speakers I have listened to. Effortless sound.

Initially, I put the grills on the mid / tweeter; now they are naked. BTW - these grills are very high quality, some sort of metallic mesh and they are magnetic. Perlisten did not hold back on anything when they made these speakers. All-out type of speaker.
These speakers sound fantastic and look great.

lherrm

Do you have any way of measuring it ?

lherrm

Spinorama :D
Joking aside, if you could post a frequency response at listening position it would be nice.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Below are the optimizer graphs measured with Trinnov’s sensitive microphone for my s7ts showing before room EQ with the trinnov, after EQ and then the correction filters added. The next set of graphs show the s7ts, s7c and six s4s perlistens.
43145735-01D0-40A5-B956-D9426FF9D2D8.png
5C7279C0-C9BD-4976-AF53-68A6A284E48A.png

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Spinorama :D
Joking aside, if you could post a frequency response at listening position it would be nice.
There are some measurements here:

Will add measurements soon.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Went through the motions of generating a filter with Dirac. 17 measurements.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    608.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    428.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    425.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    419.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    484 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    488.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    516.6 KB · Views: 192
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

I since measured the speakers 3 more times with Dirac (17 measurements each) and moved them around a bit. They are now toed-in exactly as I like it and (hopefully) I am done with them.
I have listened to more music on my new speakers. One category of music that sounds clearly better compared to my previous speakers (NHT XD 2.2) is complex passages in symphonic music with high dynamics.
I used my Amazon Music Unlimited and ran through the usual suspects: Stravinsky, Grieg, Rachmaninoff, Respighi to name a few. These speakers can transition from quiet passages to an absolute crescendo assault with ease and control. Bravo!
I've spent decent money on crappy speakers. Years ago I had the Vienna Acoustics "Beethoven". They sounded boxy and had an audible resonance - how ironic given the name. The biggest flaw of the NHT XD 2.2 is the sub integration and the subwoofer quality.
These speakers are making it even - in fact, I feel I am ahead at this point :)
Today I listened for more than 3 hours at Beethoven's piano sonatas and concertos (Claudio Arrau / Alfred Brendel / Daniel Barenboim). The piano has no extra resonance, the speaker's enclosure does not sing along. The sound is big and relaxed, the piano notes are precise and delineated even in the fastest passages.
Now I have to resist turning up the volume too high in order to get that real concert dynamics. When the sound is very clean the temptation is always there.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I since measured the speakers 3 more times with Dirac (17 measurements each) and moved them around a bit. They are now toed-in exactly as I like it and (hopefully) I am done with them.
In the meantime, I have listened to more music. One category of music that sounds clearly better compared to my previous speakers (NHT XD 2.2) is complex passages in symphonic music with high dynamics.
I used my Amazon Music Unlimited and ran through the usual suspects: Stravinsky, Grieg, Rachmaninoff, Respighi to name a few. These speakers can transition from quiet passages to an absolute crescendo assault with ease and control. Bravo!
I've spent decent money on crappy speakers. Years ago I had the Vienna Acoustics "Beethoven". They sounded boxy and had an audible resonance - how ironic given the name. The biggest flaw of the NHT XD 2.2 is the sub integration and in general the subwoofer sub-quality.
These speakers are making it even - in fact, I feel I am ahead at this point :)
Today I listened for more than 3 hours of Beethoven's piano sonatas and concertos (Claudio Arrau / Alfred Brendel / Daniel Barenboim). The piano has no extra resonance, the speaker's enclosure does not sing along. The sound is big and relaxed, the piano notes are precise and delineated even in the fastest passages.
Now I have to resist turning up the volume too high in order to get that real concert dynamics. When the sound is very clean the temptation is always there.
It sucks to be able to keep turning the volume up without issues :D

jd3

My wife and I auditioned the S4’s last week. I was impressed. Very neutral sounding. Piano reproduction was the best I think I’ve ever heard from a speaker. My wife wasn’t as impressed, though she did like the piano. She preferred the Vimberg Ameas we also auditioned. I told her she could buy them if she wants to pay for them!

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Finally the Benchmark AHB2 I ordered is shipping today. Yey!

Golfx

Forum Donor
My wife and I auditioned the S4’s last week. I was impressed. Very neutral sounding. Piano reproduction was the best I think I’ve ever heard from a speaker. My wife wasn’t as impressed, though she did like the piano. She preferred the Vimberg Ameas we also auditioned. I told her she could buy them if she wants to pay for them!
Wives care more about pictures of grandchildren than speakers. Flawed priorities.

Top Bottom