• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

YSDR

If the 1-way is a subwoofer then yes that option would be better, but without matching units the crossover can be hell for anything else.
I don't see why would be problematic other than for subwoofer.

headshake

I've been rocking my fa123 for a month or so. I really like the ability to make fast changes. Hypex seems to update the software/firmware pretty regularly. I complained publically about an EQ issue and a week later there was a patch. Was it because of me? I dunno, but I am thankful.

This box fits the fa123:
https://www.budind.com/product/general-use-boxes/aluminum-chassis-series/ac-411/

You just need to make a top with the holes in it.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been rocking my fa123 for a month or so. I really like the ability to make fast changes. Hypex seems to update the software/firmware pretty regularly. I complained publically about an EQ issue and a week later there was a patch. Was it because of me? I dunno, but I am thankful.

This box fits the fa123:
https://www.budind.com/product/general-use-boxes/aluminum-chassis-series/ac-411/

You just need to make a top with the holes in it.

You seem to know your way around the software very well, could you help me with the crossover if i decide to go this route?

headshake

You seem to know your way around the software very well, could you help me with the crossover if i decide to go this route?
Sure! But I am new at this myself.

I was at first put-off by how the filters work in HFD but now it is no biggie.

The HFD manual shows you how to convert standard filters to the biquads.

You can download the HFD software before you even buy it to try it out.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure! But I am new at this myself.

I was at first put-off by how the filters work in HFD but now it is no biggie.

The HFD manual shows you how to convert standard filters to the biquads.

You can download the HFD software before you even buy it to try it out.

Do you happen to have a miniDSP (software only) lying around?

headshake

Do you happen to have a miniDSP (software only) lying around?
No. If you take some images of your settings I can do a video capture putting the settings into HFD if that helps? Or just write out the XO settings and I can use that.

I forgot to mention, one reason I went with hypex is some other amps have reports of hiss. I can report no hiss with my bliesma t25-b + eton3-212.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone here used ones in their recent builds? Any experiences?
Use two FA503 for my current projects. They are not perfect, but for the price there is probably not much comparable.

What annoys me immensely is the fact that the modules crash when switching frequently between different presets, which of course one does very often when developing a loudspeaker and which should actually be a strength of an active loudspeaker project.

The modules emit quite a bit of heat for Class-D. So that the fan does not have to start more often (when listening to loud music), good air circulation must be ensured.

But on the whole I am satisfied.

In any case, buy the remote control and the associated module at the same time - without RC it makes no sense. And with it you avoid possible Hiss problems (at least that is the case with me).

I would also recommend placing the modules in a separate enclosure, as they can then be used for any number of speakers.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The modules emit quite a bit of heat for Class-D. So that the fan does not have to start more often (when listening to loud music), good air circulation must be ensured.

But can you hear the fan when listening to loud music?

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But can you hear the fan when listening to loud music?

The fans are audible during very quiet passages or short pauses.

However, since I have no claim to aesthetics and only functionality is important, I placed the modules in the simplest external rack with the best possible air circulation. Since then, the fans rarely start when listening to music.
The rack is unlikely to win any design awards ;)
1608499761735.png

Oh yes, what I forgot to mention, the upload of new presets is done via a mini-USB connector on the module (each module separate). This is not very robust and should wear out very quickly. Therefore, the USB cables are permanently plugged into the modules to avoid premature wear due to frequent plugging and unplugging of the cable.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fans are audible during very quiet passages or short pauses.

However, since I have no claim to aesthetics and only functionality is important, I placed the modules in the simplest external rack with the best possible air circulation. Since then, the fans rarely start when listening to music.
The rack is unlikely to win any design awards ;)
View attachment 100538

Oh yes, what I forgot to mention, the upload of new presets is done via a mini-USB connector on the module (each module separate). This is not very robust and should wear out very quickly. Therefore, the USB cables are permanently plugged into the modules to avoid premature wear due to frequent plugging and unplugging of the cable.

My significant other would not even keep this for one night. I'm trying to get the whole thing (Speaker enclosure and an enclosure for the module) 3D printed to avoid a fiasco.

YSDR

What annoys me immensely is the fact that the modules crash when switching frequently between different presets, which of course one does very often when developing a loudspeaker and which should actually be a strength of an active loudspeaker project.

I would also recommend placing the modules in a separate enclosure, as they can then be used for any number of speakers.

The latest firmware (1.44) contains a fix that adresses the preset change instability too.

That's a good advice, I secured the amps to a double L-shaped box with an open bottom and top on the back of my speakers, so it's easily removable.
20201108_100249_2.jpg

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The latest firmware (1.44) contains a workaround that adresses the preset change isntability too.
If the bug is really fixed, that would be extremely gratifying.
However, the manufacturer's website only offers 1.42 for download so far.
Where did you find version 1.44 for download?

Vince2

I just received 2x fa503 after one of my multi channel amps died for active 3 way Thiel speakers. Was using minidsp and liked the software and the convenience of fir linear filters. Was going to switch to motu ultra lite mk4 but apparently what I was hearing was the amp issue instead of the dsp. Have hopes that after mastering the software, this will be a good option for giving my speakers a new lease on life.

Top Bottom