• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

Lucmor444

Final question from me!

Can the optical digital into the FA253 (in a master/slave L&R configuration) use the coaxial output for the right channel to the slave amp?

YSDR

Final question from me!

Can the optical digital into the FA253 (in a master/slave L&R configuration) use the coaxial output for the right channel to the slave amp?
Yes, moreover the S/PDIF coaxial connection is the only way to connect Fusionamps together in master/slave mode. So whathever input you use on the master FA, you need to use the coax output to connect the slave.

Last edited:

copper

Jumping in here (I'm more active on DIYAudio but this thread came up in Google). A few questions for people here:
1. Anyone have luck using the fusion amps with a surround processor? I've got an Emotive XMC-2 which works great...except the volume control doesn't seem to affect the digital output for some reason. Other digital outs (my computer included) don't have this issue
2. The Emotive had pretty low gain digitally and ends up really quiet. I had to increase the preset offset volume up a ways to get it where I need it (+20db). Has anyone else used this to improve the overall output and know of any drawbacks?

I'll post pics of the build and also my current work on it next.

copper

Following up here - after a conversation with Emotiva, apparently the digital output is the same as a tape monitor and has basically zero processing or control. I'm temporarily using analog outputs and will also try using a basic HDMI switcher from Parts Express with audio out over toslink as well.

StigErik

Forum Donor
I’ve used FusionAmps with surround processors and always used the analog outs, since there in reality is no other option if you want to use all surround channels, and the processor’s DSP for volume control, EQ, bass management etc …. There is nothing wrong with the analog route either as long as you have a good processor.

YSDR

There are surround processors with volume controlled digital outs for all channels from Storm Audio, Trinnov etc, but they are quite expensive.

copper

Yep. I did some digging and they're probably not right for me. At this point I may stick with a simple TOSLINK output from an HDMI switcher instead for video sources, and will be using an iPad Pro plugged directly into a Wiim Pro Plus for lossless. The Hypex amps with the OLED display frankly do all I need for volume/source control, while the built-in DSP and EQ are letting me optimize the sound for the room.

Is there any reason in particular to stick with a surround processor's analog out into the Hypex amps when I run only stereo, outside of using Dirac Live? If I'm getting lossless hi-res audio out of my iPad into the Wiim, there doesn't seem to be a reason for a processor at all. I can use an HDMI switch or the TV (LG Oled C6) for pulling audio out of HDMI.

Top Bottom